do YOU celebrate Christmas?

if not, why not?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

do you celebrate christmas?

yes
90%
no
10%

Total votes: 48

Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Mincy wrote:I don't celebrate it. It doesn't say anywhere in the Bible to celebrate it. I do however try my best to celebrate the feasts that the Bible does say to (Passover, Sukote, Day of Atonement, ect.).
The Bible says nothing about using the internet either ;)
The Artful Dodger
Still standing tall

Post by The Artful Dodger »

I do celebrate Christmas. These are a few of my reasons:

1) Even though we should be thankful every day and celebrate the fact that Jesus came to earth as a human and then died for us humans, then rose from death and ascended to heaven, it's nice to set aside one day of the year to focus on his birth.

2) I don't know too much about the history of Christmas, I just know that in our family, it means thanking God for Jesus' birth. We read the Bible and sing hymns. Just because it's on Dec. 25th, we have a tree, and we give gifts doesn't mean too much. Of course we don't know Christ's true birthday, but we can pick a day and celebrate then.

3) Even though (in the minds of many) Christmas has been turned into a celebration of gifts and Santa Claus and little flying reindeer, in my heart it means Jesus. Should we abandon everything that others corrupt? I realise that some of the "Christmas rituals" have pagan origins, but the holiday is called "CHRISTmas" after all. ;)

Anyway, those are a few of my thoughts. I'm sorry if they are incomplete or don't make sense, but I'm tired, and not too good at this sort of thing.

Merry Christmas, all! :D

PS. And to those who don't celebrate it, I wish you the blessings that Christ bestowed on us at His birth. And Merry Christmas ;)

Didn't we have some fun, though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said, 'goodbye.' And you were like, 'no, wait.' And then I was all, 'we pretended we were going to murder you.' That was great...
Farrah
Tallying up

Post by Farrah »

Hi,
yes I do celebrate xmas. I love xmas.
from farrah.
Waluigi Freak 99
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Waluigi Freak 99 »

Jonathan wrote:
Mincy wrote:I don't celebrate it. It doesn't say anywhere in the Bible to celebrate it. I do however try my best to celebrate the feasts that the Bible does say to (Passover, Sukote, Day of Atonement, ect.).
Without any negative connotations, are you Jewish? And I second Jonathan's thoughts; the Bible doesn't say anything against the celebration, either, and Christ's birth is definitely worth celebrating (though I will concede that that's not the primary reason most people celebrate it today).
Christina wrote:No, I do not celebrate it...

1. It is a pagan holiday...or it at least has Pagan origins, and I have no desire to be associated with anything pagan in any way shape or form.

2. It is not the day Jesus was born, nor is it even close to the day Jesus was born, so there is not point in celebrating it as his birthday.

3. It is a very commercialized holiday, to the point of becoming (IMO) asecular holiday. Everyone celebrates Christmas, Christian or no.

and four...because of all of the above reasons I see no reason to celebrate it.
I realize that you're not being forceful with this, and I don't intend to spark an argument, or anything, but I just wanted to point out:

1. Christmas, the specific holiday, has no pagan origins; just because other pagan holidays share its time of celebration doesn't mean that Christmas in and of itself is pagan. Also, the retribution theology in the book of Deuteronomy was constructed after pagan suzerainty treaties made prior to the book's authorship in order to rival them.
2. The point is that we have no precise date as to when Jesus was born, and this date was chosen to rival Romanian paganism. If you'd rather not celebrate Jesus' birth on December 25, then which date would you suggest? The first Friday the 13 of the year, maybe, or perhaps October 31?
3. That really has no bearing on keeping the celebration of Christ's birth, does it?
Everything written in this post is false.
DrummerChick
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by DrummerChick »

Yes i do celebrate Christmas. ANd farrah did you know that the reason that people say Xmas is so they don't have to say the word Christ. ANd I would have to agrre with the artful dodger. :)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Layla91 wrote:Yes i do celebrate Christmas. ANd farrah did you know that the reason that people say Xmas is so they don't have to say the word Christ. ANd I would have to agrre with the artful dodger. :)
Actually, X=Christ in... Greek or some language like that. It's a shortening, it in no way means "taking Christ out of Christmas" as some would have you believe.

So the X-Men are really Christ-Men... :-k
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

Layla91 wrote:Yes i do celebrate Christmas. ANd farrah did you know that the reason that people say Xmas is so they don't have to say the word Christ. ANd I would have to agrre with the artful dodger. :)
I used to to think the same thing until I read this:
Wikipedia wrote:In early Greek versions of the New Testament, the letter Χ (chi), is the first letter of Christ. Since the mid-sixteenth century Χ, or the similar Roman letter X, was used as an abbreviation for Christ.[2] Hence, "Xmas" is often used as an abbreviation for Christmas.
So it doesn't really bother me much anymore.
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

The average user of "xmas" is probably not aware that the Greek letter chi is the first letter of the Greek name for Christ. :anxious:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Other people just use it as a shortcut, not because they purposely are trying to make any kind of statement. ;)
Skid
Still standing tall
It’s my birthday

Post by Skid »

/me adds a vote for no.
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

Fa la la la!!!!
Mincy
Smile for the camera

Post by Mincy »

Jonathan wrote:
No, the internet is not mentioned in the Bible, but that dose not mean that it shouldn't be used, if it is used in a Godly manner. In the same way there is nothing in the Bible that says not to do Christmas so I have nothing against people who chose to do it, if they do it with the right motives. I simply have chosen not to.

Ps. The Bible also doesn't say to breathe, but that doesn't mean everybody should hold their breath. ;)
Movieman
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Post by Movieman »

*notices that 3 people said they don't celebrate Christmas*

That's weird, I'd assume it'd be 100% since most people on this board are Christian :-k .

Yay, I'm finally a published author! Check out my website.
http://www.joshuagrantbooks.com
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

Mincy wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
No, the internet is not mentioned in the Bible, but that dose not mean that it shouldn't be used, if it is used in a Godly manner. In the same way there is nothing in the Bible that says not to do Christmas so I have nothing against people who chose to do it, if they do it with the right motives. I simply have chosen not to.

Ps. The Bible also doesn't say to breathe, but that doesn't mean everybody should hold their breath. ;)
Why don't you celebrate it then? Because you don't think you are able to celebrate it in a Godly manner? :-s
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
MajorSplendor
Sing in the sunshine

Post by MajorSplendor »

MY family ( my parents, mostly) does not celebrate Christmas. For the present moment...I do not. However all of my friends celebrate it and I have nothing against those who choose to celebrate it - so long as they don't get caught up in the materialistic side of it.

Originality is the art of concealing your sources.
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

This video is a very good reminder...

http://www.godtube.com/view_video.php?v ... a87fcc00d1
Candy
CIA is my friend
CIA is my friend

Post by Candy »

Yeppers!!!!!
I'd rather live as if there were a God, and found out there isn't, then to live as if there weren't a God, and find out there is.
Image Image
hubcap
new and improved danny
new and improved danny

Post by hubcap »

Waluigi Freak 99 wrote:
Christina wrote:No, I do not celebrate it...

1. It is a pagan holiday...or it at least has Pagan origins, and I have no desire to be associated with anything pagan in any way shape or form.

2. It is not the day Jesus was born, nor is it even close to the day Jesus was born, so there is not point in celebrating it as his birthday.

3. It is a very commercialized holiday, to the point of becoming (IMO) asecular holiday. Everyone celebrates Christmas, Christian or no.

and four...because of all of the above reasons I see no reason to celebrate it.
I realize that you're not being forceful with this, and I don't intend to spark an argument, or anything, but I just wanted to point out:

1. Christmas, the specific holiday, has no pagan origins; just because other pagan holidays share its time of celebration doesn't mean that Christmas in and of itself is pagan. Also, the retribution theology in the book of Deuteronomy was constructed after pagan suzerainty treaties made prior to the book's authorship in order to rival them.
2. The point is that we have no precise date as to when Jesus was born, and this date was chosen to rival Romanian paganism. If you'd rather not celebrate Jesus' birth on December 25, then which date would you suggest? The first Friday the 13 of the year, maybe, or perhaps October 31?
3. That really has no bearing on keeping the celebration of Christ's birth, does it?
yes it does have pagan origins. but that isn't the point. this isn't supposed to be a debate. so...please don't debate. I am just curious.

and, whoa! It is Skid!
Do you believe in the couch?
Movieman
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Post by Movieman »

For those who celebrate it, how was your Christmas?

Yay, I'm finally a published author! Check out my website.
http://www.joshuagrantbooks.com
Rio
Animatronic

Post by Rio »

My chrismas was beautiful! :mecry: :mecry: