Ok, For those who remember Isaac Morton.....

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
aiofan
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by aiofan »

This makes me curious--if you don't mind (and if you do I certainly understand), could you say where you're from?
I am from Southern California. I am considered a conservative here, but I think conservative means something different in other parts of the continent!
there isn't really proof Rodney was abused, and had there been I'm sure Focus wouldn't have treated it as lightly)
I actually am not sure about this. Since the Rathbones are considered bad characters, they are naturally portraying bad behavior. If this was a Christian family, I don't think Focus would have approved.
And your second point holds no credibility, as there is no evidence that David and Jonathan were gay.
Like I said before, I agree. I am just saying this story is used as evidence for the gay sided view. I used the analogy of the rainbow not being gay at all, but the gay community uses that as a symbol. Do you see the difference?

I feel I might be a bit misunderstood here. But I am enjoying this discussion. :)
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

aiofan wrote:
And your second point holds no credibility, as there is no evidence that David and Jonathan were gay.
Like I said before, I agree. I am just saying this story is used as evidence for the gay sided view. I used the analogy of the rainbow not being gay at all, but the gay community uses that as a symbol. Do you see the difference?

I feel I might be a bit misunderstood here. But I am enjoying this discussion. :)
Yeah, I see that you're saying that the homosexual community likes to make David and Jonathan out to be gay. And I understand that you don't agree with them.

But that makes it even more confusing that you would go and say "Well, Isaac was in that David and Jonathan episode so he could be considered gay." It makes no sense.
aiofan
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by aiofan »

But that makes it even more confusing that you would go and say "Well, Isaac was in that David and Jonathan episode so he could be considered gay." It makes no sense.
I am not saying that. Instead, I am merely saying it isn't interesting that Isaac, of ALL the characters on the program was on the David and Jonathan story of ALL the stories in the Bible? It seems like an interesting coincidence....but then again, Mr. Whitaker doesn't believe in coincidences!

I agree, I may be over analyzing as I sometimes tend to do. :)
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

aiofan wrote:
This makes me curious--if you don't mind (and if you do I certainly understand), could you say where you're from?
I am from Southern California. I am considered a conservative here, but I think conservative means something different in other parts of the continent!
Depends on who you associate with... there's still a more conservative minority there.
aiofan
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by aiofan »

Depends on who you associate with... there's still a more conservative minority there.
I agree. Are you in So Cal as well? :)

A while back, my pastor a group of friends and I were discussing about how the word "conservative" means different things in different parts of the country. The same is true for the word "liberal".
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

aiofan wrote:
I agree. Are you in So Cal as well? :)

A while back, my pastor a group of friends and I were discussing about how the word "conservative" means different things in different parts of the country. The same is true for the word "liberal".
Raised there. Southern California is a very diverse place. More diverse than say, the Bay Area or certain East Coast states where "liberal" is most established in everyday life. So while there's flaming liberals and radical environmentalists inhabiting SoCal, there's also ultra-conservatives. And the definition of "conservative" still holds for other parts of the country. Speaking of definitions, I find a greater difference in understanding along cultural lines than location.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that an opinion on a topic like this wouldn't be so much determined by the physical location of the people here but rather by their religious/political views. I don't think the people in Southern California should be stereotyped... it's beautiful in its diversity.

As for David and Jonathan, the idea that they were gay won't be embraced by Jews or Christians who hold to the divine inspiration of the Old Testament. God condemns homosexuality in the Old Testament so it doesn't follow that He would appoint a gay man to be king of His country Israel. David sinned while he was king but, like Saul, he wasn't living in sin when God anointed him. If someone doesn't believe in a divinely inspired OT, then it's fair game for theories like that. I believe, however, that most of the fans here and the AIO writers fall into the former category so the connection between Isaac and that Bible story would not be a gay one.

I don't blame you for thinking the theory up, though. Like I said in a previous post, society in general is much more gay-sensitive that it used to be so we can all read into stuff that wasn't intended that way.
aiofan
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by aiofan »

I completely agree about So Cal being very very diverse. I love that fact as well. I'm just saying that certain words can have different meanings. What may be considered conservative here wouldn't be considered that in other parts of the country. Not to say though that what another part of the country thinks is conservative or liberal is also represented here in So Cal as well!! :)
As for David and Jonathan, the idea that they were gay won't be embraced by Jews or Christians who hold to the divine inspiration of the Old Testament. God condemns homosexuality in the Old Testament so it doesn't follow that He would appoint a gay man to be king of His country Israel. David sinned while he was king but, like Saul, he wasn't living in sin when God anointed him.
That is SUCH a good point about the old testament!!!! I never thought of that!!! One could argue though that David was annointed before he even met Jonathan. (I am not arguing that point though!!)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I rank this topic 10/10. =D>
aiofan
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by aiofan »

I recently was talking with my sister, (who like me, grew up with Odyssey, and can quote entire episodes back to me, etc), and I told her about this topic.

She was silent for a moment. I then reminded her of several episodes already mentioned in this topic.

Her: No...Isaac had a crush on Connie...remember...the episode with the court scene!

Me: Ohhh yeah...Scales of Justice!!!

Since it was a private piece of writing by Isaac...I think it is safe to assume those were his true feelings.

Which then truly crushes my theory!...almost. There are ways to explain around that one...but it is less convincing then the other reasons.

LoL!!! I'm surprised no one else on the boards thought of this!!! I guess my sister really knows her stuff....her odyssey stuff that is...
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

aiofan wrote:Which then truly crushes my theory!
Aside from what else has been discussed here ;)
...almost. There are ways to explain around that one...but it is less convincing then the other reasons.
I'd ask why, but I'm not sure I want to hear whatever the answer would be.
oy_mate
Tallying up

Post by oy_mate »

Quick question: I just listened to the Isaac episode (forget the name of it) about him wanting friends, and traveling in the imagination station to meet David and Jonathon. I wondered what caused this episode to be put in the "Lost Episodes" album.
Any particular reason? I'll just be honest, hearing David and Jonathon say they loved each other...it just made me feel awkward. I hate saying that, because it makes me sound like I have a bad mind but *ahem*.
aiofan
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by aiofan »

I wondered what caused this episode to be put in the "Lost Episodes" album.
Any particular reason?
I have no idea, except for the fact, it makes the situation even MORE interesting!!!! LOL!
I'll just be honest, hearing David and Jonathon say they loved each other...it just made me feel awkward. I hate saying that, because it makes me sound like I have a bad mind but *ahem*.
I wouldn't feel bad about it. Like Chandler says, our society tends to be more gay sensitive now, just because of our changing culture. But either way, thanks for sharing this insight.
Aside from what else has been discussed here Wink
Yes, what was discussed here didn't really convince me as much as what my sister noticed. What she noticed was an actual quote from the actual character instead of perspectives, etc.
I'd ask why, but I'm not sure I want to hear whatever the answer would be.
LOL!!
Note: Please don't take my laughing personally, I laugh at almost everything, and it is just my personality.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

oy_mate wrote:Quick question: I just listened to the Isaac episode (forget the name of it) about him wanting friends, and traveling in the imagination station to meet David and Jonathon. I wondered what caused this episode to be put in the "Lost Episodes" album. Any particular reason?
Aside from the fact that it hadn't been released before? ;)

The other reason I could think of is that it introduces Sam, a fairly major character. Because of that many fans wanted to hear it.
oy_mate wrote:I'll just be honest, hearing David and Jonathon say they loved each other...it just made me feel awkward.
This bothers me, and I'd say it's a result of the complete sexualization of...well, everything lately it seems like.

People can have close friends of the same gender that they love--in a non-sexual way. I'd argue that it's a gift of God, and something that's important to have in one's life.
aiofan wrote:
Jonathan wrote:I'd ask why, but I'm not sure I want to hear whatever the answer would be.
LOL!!
Note: Please don't take my laughing personally, I laugh at almost everything, and it is just my personality.
haha, no, that's perfectly ok--I've already been told it was amusing, and that's fine by me :)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I love lots of guy friends that I suppose I love... but you just don't go around saying that in this day and age. ;)

Focus should go back and re-edit that scene so they say, "You're totally cool, dude!" or something.
oy_mate
Tallying up

Post by oy_mate »

Jonathan wrote:
oy_mate wrote:I'll just be honest, hearing David and Jonathon say they loved each other...it just made me feel awkward.
This bothers me, and I'd say it's a result of the complete sexualization of...well, everything lately it seems like.

People can have close friends of the same gender that they love--in a non-sexual way. I'd argue that it's a gift of God, and something that's important to have in one's life.
I agree with you... and I realize that before it wouldn't have seemed a big deal. But especially with the gay movement, and the sexualization of everything, it seems, that midnset has infiltrated everything.
I think it's a shame. And I felt really bad for thinking what I did when I listened to the Odyssey! (And btw, I had no clue it hadn't been released before ;) )