Role models

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Katrina
friends forever
friends forever

Role models

Post by Katrina »

Who is your role model? Who do you want to be like? :-k
Katrina
I am an MK and Missionary kids rock!
just a girl!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

My mom is definitely a role model for me. I wish that I was more like her in a lot of ways, and there are definitely some things that I know I do because of her positive influence!
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Christ- Philippians 2 humility, for one
Mom- Extremely prayerful, full of wisdom and common sense, bold for Christ
Dad- Literally saves lives, follows the Lord's leading, e.g. adopting a couple kids
Next Door Neighbor- Established in the field I'm going into, Christ-centered
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Definitely EK.
boneablaze
Tallying up

Post by boneablaze »

I learned a long time ago to not have human role models because humans are faulty. Anyone on earth is going to make mistakes, they're going to be hypocritical at times (saying they feel one way, but doing the opposite in their actions), most of them are going to lie now and then.

I use to have several role models, but it always led me to the same conclusions. I'd watch them, and see their faults and mess-ups and since many of these people were Christians, I'd be horrified because they weren't acting in accordance to how I believed a Christian should act.

So about the time I turned 19 I decided to make Christ my one and only role model.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

boneablaze wrote:I learned a long time ago to not have human role models because humans are faulty. Anyone on earth is going to make mistakes, they're going to be hypocritical at times (saying they feel one way, but doing the opposite in their actions), most of them are going to lie now and then.

I use to have several role models, but it always led me to the same conclusions. I'd watch them, and see their faults and mess-ups and since many of these people were Christians, I'd be horrified because they weren't acting in accordance to how I believed a Christian should act.

So about the time I turned 19 I decided to make Christ my one and only role model.
Eh, I don't think sin is a reason to throw out all human role models. Someone who is repentant and striving to honor God, even if tainted by sin, can still be a good and useful example. For instance, one parent said something rashly to the other and later apologized and asked for forgiveness in front of me. What humility! What a great example to follow when I, a human, inevitably mess up.
boneablaze
Tallying up

Post by boneablaze »

Taq wrote:
boneablaze wrote:I learned a long time ago to not have human role models because humans are faulty. Anyone on earth is going to make mistakes, they're going to be hypocritical at times (saying they feel one way, but doing the opposite in their actions), most of them are going to lie now and then.

Eh, I don't think sin is a reason to throw out all human role models. Someone who is repentant and striving to honor God, even if tainted by sin, can still be a good and useful example. For instance, one parent said something rashly to the other and later apologized and asked for forgiveness in front of me. What humility! What a great example to follow when I, a human, inevitably mess up.
I agree with you except many of the role models I had when I was younger were quite hypocritical. They'd be furrious if someone lied to them, but then they turn around and lie to another person. Or they would talk a lot about loving everyone and showing forgiveness, then ignore the fact that they had a person in their life that they refused to forgive. That is what bugged me the most. Sin and messing up I could understand and not have reached the decision I did. After all I make an average number of mistakes daily--100 or so *nods*, so I wouldn't claim that someone else who makes a mistake isn't a good role model.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

Definitely, my pastor, boss, my teacher, and most importantly my dad. \:D/
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

Post by Elf of Rivendell »

Danadelfos wrote:Definitely, my pastor, boss, my teacher, and most importantly my dad. \:D/
=P

My parents, and a few of my "older siblings." ^^
sorrowing you must go, and yet you are not without hope

sarai: rice cookerrrr
uz: 'ice coakrrrrr!!
uz: that's like the next gen shad lexoooooorrrrr
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

Elf of Rivendell wrote:
Danadelfos wrote:Definitely, my pastor, boss, my teacher, and most importantly my dad. \:D/
=P

Older siblings? o_0
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

Post by Elf of Rivendell »

Danadelfos wrote:
Elf of Rivendell wrote:
=P

Older siblings? o_0
Metaphorically and/or unofficially speaking, of course. ;)
sorrowing you must go, and yet you are not without hope

sarai: rice cookerrrr
uz: 'ice coakrrrrr!!
uz: that's like the next gen shad lexoooooorrrrr
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

My role model is definately my brother. He is so cool and played basketball in college. He's a great role model b/c he is kind and loves the lord. Yeah, that's pretty much it. Oh yeah, sometimes when he comes home we'll listen to an odyssey while goin to bed. : )
I do what I do.
Movieman
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Post by Movieman »

The Apostle Paul. I think he's perhaps the best example of how Christ-like we can be while still having a sin nature.

Yay, I'm finally a published author! Check out my website.
http://www.joshuagrantbooks.com
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Messiah first of all.

Then my parents

Then Windy :inlove:

Then my best friends JIA, Danny, Blipadouzi...

And in response to boneablaze's post:

What is a role model? imo, it is someone who you learn from in every way you can. Most of the time, you want to emulate them. But there are times when the person does something that you don't like, or think is wrong. But the very fact that you recognize that it's wrong and think to yourself "oh, I definitely don't want to do that in my own life" still means you learned from them. Someone doesn't have to be perfect to be a role model. You can learn from them in all ways...even their mistakes! :D
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
Lucy Pevensie
sn33ky hobbitses
sn33ky hobbitses

Post by Lucy Pevensie »

Elf of Rivendell wrote:
=P

=P to both of you ^_~

Jesus, my parents, and a few ohter very special people . .
Need a nice signature/avatar set? Take a look at my shop! :)
All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. John 6:37
Lucy is my twin Laura Ingalls = l33t ~*Robin Baggins/Respectahobbit*~
JesusIsAlive
Former Admin (x2.5)
Former Admin (x2.5)

Post by JesusIsAlive »

I'd have to say that I look up to my older siblings a lot. They are great role models.

Then, I'd say, that I also look up to people who aren't in my family, but who live out their faith every single day and show me how to be real in ones faith. :yes:
boneablaze
Tallying up

Post by boneablaze »

After thinking it over a while I did think of a pastor of a church I went to years ago. He is one of the few people I know who lives what he says he believes 100% of the time. I remember a conversation I had with him soon after moving away from his church. I was fustrated because it seemed like everyone around me (in the new church) were "Sunday only Christians", ya know, the people who are very Christ-centered IN the church building, but Monday through Saturday you'd never guess they were Christians. I wanted to just give up on church all together (I was only 13 or 14 at the time), and was talking to my former pastor. I've never forgotten what he said after listening to me vent for the better part of 30 mins. He looked me in the eye and said "______(my name), I'm going to tell you something I've told many other people. ALL churches, including _______( name of the church he pastored) are COMPLETELY FULL of dysfunctional people! Never let the way anyone else lives change how you feel convicted to live your life." So I guess he was a really good role model for me, and probably still would be if I ever move anywhere near where he pastors.
plastic_smile
Gold Member

Post by plastic_smile »

Avil lavignes my role model...im gonna be just like her....i wish.... :anxious: :anxious:
The Artful Dodger
Still standing tall

Post by The Artful Dodger »

Jesus: For obvious reasons.

My Dad: My dad has incredible knowledge and wisdom, he KNOWS the Word. He is always seeking understanding, and wants to learn about whatever he doesn't know. He's just smart and cool and awesome. :D

Older Brother #1: He is really sweet and gentle, but still strong when he needs to be. He knows how to have fun, and includes us younger kids in the stuff he does. Perfect older brother.

Older Brother #2: Smart. Excells in everything he does. Knows when to be serious and when to joke around. Can always make me laugh. He has high goals and is honorable, wise, knowledgeable, going to a military academy. yep, he's cool.

And like Christina said, one thing about role models is that you have to learn when to imitate them, and when not to. They are people after all. But we can learn from people. Of course, you also have to be careful about who you choose, which is why all of mine are from my family ;)

Didn't we have some fun, though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said, 'goodbye.' And you were like, 'no, wait.' And then I was all, 'we pretended we were going to murder you.' That was great...
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I've got a question to pose to some of you--for those who list Jesus as one of their role models, why is that? What does that mean? How is he a role model in your life, and how does that affect how you live?

Ok, appearently that was several questions--didn't plan on that originally ;)