British Accents

How good is yours?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

how good is your British accent?

terrible, it's not convincing at all
15%
okay, kind of lame
45%
Great! I make people stare at me when i use it, because they think i'm from the U.K. or something!
27%
I live in the U.K.
12%

Total votes: 33

Dakota Bud
I've been here a bit

Post by Dakota Bud »

terrible, it's not convincing at all

I know no = nein
GO MARINES
OOH RAH

I'm a Private Detective in the Town of Odyssey
amyinodyssey
Found

Post by amyinodyssey »

I'm OK. I'm not exactly the Queen of England. But I would love to live in England to try and gain a Brittish accent. I have no problems incorporating a certain "Cheerio" word into a lot of my e-mails and saying it quite frequently. I want to be English so bad that I have put a toast rack on my Christmas wish list! My Dad has a co-worker who is from England and she says to my dad,"Why don't you get her a bloody toast rack?!" My Dad claims that he can't get one because he would have to fly to England for such a thing. Well pardon me but I think he works for Northwest Airlines for a reason: to get me the bloody toast rack!

Recently I was dubbed "Lady Amy" by some friends of mine at my church. I would fit in fine with the Brittish if only I had that charming accent mastered to perfection.
ObiWan Kenobi Girl
Why so serious?
Why so serious?

Post by ObiWan Kenobi Girl »

Oh, yeah, I really want to move to London later, or something, at least England or the UK. I want a real accent that i won't have to fake!

Oh, by the way:

Is it- Brittish or British? Now i don't know. i thought it was British, but idk now.
Angel
Laughing One
Laughing One

Post by Angel »

It's British. :)
ObiWan Kenobi Girl
Why so serious?
Why so serious?

Okay, that's what i thought, but when amyinodyssey wrote it Brittish, i just didn't know. Thanks for clearing that up! :)
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

I think my accent's OK, but it's hard to do in front of people.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

My accent? It sounds great! ... When it's not spoken out loud, that is. :anxious:

I'm told I have a weird accent, and that's why my impressions don't come out perfectly. I don't have a weird accent. :noway: It's just a bit... different. \:D/

It's not my fault. The only English I hear being spoken outside my family is... terrible. \:D/
don't forget the rain.
Abigail
Crazy lil blondie
Crazy lil blondie

Post by Abigail »

Mine is ok, I can mimic alot of accent and diff peoples voices or just there certin accent. My mom has even said I have a talent for that. :D
^She is back!! In all her glory!^ For real this time! ;)
Angel
Laughing One
Laughing One

Post by Angel »

My brother and I just finished watching Jeeves & Wooster and we were having a conversation in a british accent. It was pretty funny. We are both really good with accents, so my mom was laughing at us. But I thought it was fun. \:D/
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

95% of my DVD collection are British films and TV shows and I pick up accents pretty quickly. That and about the same percentage of my book collection is British. So I can pull off a convincing accent.
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

I watched a lot of British accent films when I was little so I can sort of do it but I still can't get their vocabulary. It's odd how accents just "stick"; I'm taking German class and people keep pointing out my "American" acccent.
Mel
Smile for the camera

Post by Mel »

I think my British accent is ok, especially after listening to someone with one. I find it easy to pick up some accents--especially English and Scottish, I think, and sometimes after watching a movie I'll find myself talking like some of the characters. Which I think is cool. :yes:

;)

I think I'm really tired...
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Mine... well I try not to practice such things for fear of major embarrassment. But every once in awhile, people ask me where I'm from because they think I'm from some random European country. My husband has a decent one, and totally does that accidental picking up of accents thing.

Oh, and yay for toast racks. \:D/
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

British - no

Irish - yes

Scottish - kinda.

:inlove:
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

Post by Elf of Rivendell »

Eeh. I can't do accents decently for the life of me. Well, I can speak Gollum, and a British accent may come with practice; but that's about it.
sorrowing you must go, and yet you are not without hope

sarai: rice cookerrrr
uz: 'ice coakrrrrr!!
uz: that's like the next gen shad lexoooooorrrrr
Whits Clara
Not as new

Post by Whits Clara »

British happens to be just about the only accent I can pull off, and I do talk in it for hours at a time - but Cockney (i.e. My Fair Lady) is that much more fun. I rave in Cockney. :anxious:
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

Mira Winter wrote:...Well, I can speak Gollum...
:hilarious:

My brother goes around for hours talking like that. It can get annoying, but it's also a lot of fun hearing. \:D/
don't forget the rain.
ObiWan Kenobi Girl
Why so serious?
Why so serious?

Gollum.. WHOA! My cousin does that all the time. It's cool, though.
H34TH4R
Someone's favorite

Post by H34TH4R »

i live in the u.k :D
ObiWan Kenobi Girl
Why so serious?
Why so serious?

That's awesome!! Yours must be great then!! =D> *laughs* I want to live there.