621: A New Era Part III

Post your reviews here!

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How will you rate this ep?

5 Stars
40%
4 Stars
16%
3 Stars
36%
2 Stars
4%
1 Star
4%

Total votes: 25

Jonathan
Dungeon Master

621: A New Era Part III

Post by Jonathan »

Wow. Saturday night, and no topic yet :anxious:
So post your reviews people! We're behind on time \:D/
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

2/5. Everything seemed so forced, rushed, overly dramatic, and unrealistic. It reminded me of when I watched King Kong how it kept trying to make the audience cry.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Though the ending seemed abrupt a la The Top Floor, I loved the solution of Leonard and Evan going to serve the Ashantis as a team. As I mentioned last week, I liked hearing Eugene and Katrina struggle with the decision whether or not to go. They reasoned, prayed, and sought godly counsel (Whit), and God resolved their question.

Could the unthinkable happen? Could Everett appear 0 times this season? A New Era was in a short time frame (Not more than a couple days I'd assume. Remember, Part II basically equaled the kidney transfer), so I don't have a problem with the omission of Everett in this set. I can't, however, imagine not hearing from him again before he goes back to Africa!

I enjoyed the juxtaposition of Leonard's two reactions when learning of a baby on the way. It showed how he changed and enriched the comparative extent of Eugene's ostracism.

About Eugene explaining why he forgave Leonard: The dialogue made it sound like the forgiveness was contingent on Leonard regretting his past actions. I don't know if that's what Eugene meant, but I'd like to think Eugene would still have forgiven his father even if his father didn't regret his sins against Eugene. I never expected Leonard to find and believe Christ so quickly. But hey, he went through more trauma and saw a changed Eugene. With God all things are possible.

The Joanne-Thelma connection added another perspective, another opportunity for Leonard to soul-search. Good ear for those of you who caught the inkling that this connection might have been! It worked, but don't let these old connections get too numerous (Connie and Eugene in The Champ of the Camp, Joanne and Agnes in The Pact).

Since Eugene and Katrina are called to further Hand Up's ministry in Odyssey, I would expect to hear more about that in the future. I would also maybe expect a future Africa snapshot or trip.

So I liked Parts I and II better than Part III, but then again this episode was constrained by having to wrap up the story. Nonetheless, the resolution was satisfying and I enjoyed A New Era.
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

Itaque wrote:The Joanne-Thelma connection added another perspective, another opportunity for Leonard to soul-search. Good ear for those of you who caught the inkling that this connection might have been!
Kudos should go to Janet Waldo for the incredible acting. I shouldn't have accused her of possibly just over-acting. ;-) That was a hint that was totally dependent on the acting--and she did an amazing job, especially for an 89-year-old actor! :)

Jeremy
Applesauce
I'm memorable

Post by Applesauce »

Woah, 89?! I was just wondering while listening to this episode how old she really was. That's impressive. She's probably one of the oldest actors on the show.

Anyway, I thought the episode was good but not great. My prediction about the outcome of the third part was correct, but it wasn't quite as satisfying as I expected. Somehow the whole thing felt a little rushed, and the salvation scene wasn't very moving. It felt like Leonard Meltsner's conversion was a "necessary obstacle" in order to wrap up the story arc. I would have liked it if more attention had been giving to Leonard's decision throughout the three episodes, rather than kinda springing it on us in that scene, and then only half-addressing it in the final scenes. I just felt it was missing the heart of episodes like Under the Influence and The Time Has Come and Connie.

However, I did think that, all in all, it was an appropriate way to wrap up the story arc. And the flashbacks were great once again! I'm rating this one (and all three parts as a whole) a 3.
Smushed and Spicy! \:D/

I really need to change my avatar...
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Applesauce wrote:Woah, 89?! I was just wondering while listening to this episode how old she really was. That's impressive. She's probably one of the oldest actors on the show.
Unless I'm forgetting someone, she's the oldest actor of the main adult character actors currently on the show. The next closest is Alan Young, who will be 88 in November.
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

The two oldest actors for Odyssey are Jack and Joanne; I wonder what the future of the Antique shop looks like...
Nasri
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Nasri »

Eugene funny when his Father ask to be a Christan. 4/5.

Check out my newspaper To0 Star
Dakota Bud
I've been here a bit

Post by Dakota Bud »

Voted
GO MARINES
OOH RAH

I'm a Private Detective in the Town of Odyssey
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

Actually, Jack Allen/Alan Young is no longer on the show. It's been 3 years since he appeared in an episode, while Joanne has appeared multiple times since then. And in a recent interview, Alan Young put his work with AIO in the past tense.

I do wonder why he is no longer on the show. :(

Jeremy
connies#1fan
Found

Post by connies#1fan »

Jeremy, I wonder too, why he is gone, or done
"The Call" - Regina Spektor
You'll come back
When it's over
No need to say good bye..
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

I'm actually glad, I don't like Jack that much.
Samitude
Pilgrim

Post by Samitude »

I love Jack! It's terrible that he's not on the show anymore. We need a bring back Jack petition!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Jeremy wrote:Actually, Jack Allen/Alan Young is no longer on the show. It's been 3 years since he appeared in an episode, while Joanne has appeared multiple times since then. And in a recent interview, Alan Young put his work with AIO in the past tense.
Could you point us to the interview?
Odesa
Lurker

Post by Odesa »

Samitude wrote:I love Jack! It's terrible that he's not on the show anymore. We need a bring back Jack petition!

I'm with you
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

Chandler wrote:
Jeremy wrote:Actually, Jack Allen/Alan Young is no longer on the show. It's been 3 years since he appeared in an episode, while Joanne has appeared multiple times since then. And in a recent interview, Alan Young put his work with AIO in the past tense.
Could you point us to the interview?
Here's the link to the thread about it: http://www.thetoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=9767

And at the following link you can hear what he said about AIO at about the 31 minute mark: http://joecookprogram.com/podcasts/TJCP080907.mp3

Jeremy
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Thanks!
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

Back to the review… :-

The conclusion was a satisfying end to this three-parter. The message of forgiveness was simple yet profound, and I was glad Leonard finally became a Christian and decided to go stay with the Ashantis (though I predicted that would happen in part two). I only wished the scene with Leonard’s conversion was a bit longer and a little less rush. Also, as others have stated, it would’ve been nice to hear from Everett before sending him off to Africa. But overall, this was a very well-written episode and an enjoyable ending to the Leonard Meltsner storyarc.
Nathan Hoobler
AIO Writer

Post by Nathan Hoobler »

I'm not sure why Alan referred to his time on Odyssey in the past tense. Maybe because he wasn't on for quite awhile.

However, let me assure you that Alan's (and Jack's!) time on Odyssey is not over. He will be in at least three episodes this spring.

Nathan
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

Nathan Hoobler wrote:I'm not sure why Alan referred to his time on Odyssey in the past tense. Maybe because he wasn't on for quite awhile.

However, let me assure you that Alan's (and Jack's!) time on Odyssey is not over. He will be in at least three episodes this spring.

Nathan
Yay! \:D/ In the interview when he talked about Odyssey, it sounded to me like he didn't know exactly what was going on or why he wasn't in recent episodes.