Too Young?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Indeed, Sherlock,. you're younger than me and the NES didn't show up until I was probably five or so... I know I didn't have one until I was six, anyway... :boohoo:
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

Bradley Doyle wrote:I agree with A12. I'm probably going to wait until I get a car to get a cell phone. That will be in around 4 or so years. I can wait that long.
I'd have to agree with you Bradley. I'll probably get a cell phone once I get a car. Which'll probably be another year or two.
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

/me wonders what Darcie will do if Kimberly asks for a cell at age six. :x
Clodius Albinus
Smile for the camera

Post by Clodius Albinus »

Ah, the old Apple IIs. Wonderful machines! For anyone nostalgic for the computers of old (or just interested in what now seems like a really bizarre article), I heartily recommend this James Fallows article from a 1982 issue of The Atlantic: "Living With a Computer."

It actually includes this line: "The process works this way. When I sit down to write a letter or start the first draft of an article, I simply type on the keyboard and the words appear on the screen."

As if by magic! What manner of sorcery was this?

Even better, Fallows describes his attempt to procure a computer capable of the complex task of word processing at a reasonable price (e.g., under $5,000), and the modification of an old Selectric typewriter into a printer of sorts. The section on disk storage can't be missed.

"The system transfers data from the computer to the disk, or vice versa, at about 1,000 words per second, so it is no nuisance to pause after each fifteen or twenty minutes of writing to store what I've just done. Each of the disks in my system can hold about 100K of information, or more than twice as much as a full load from the computer memory. If one disk is full, I pull it out and snap another in."

Read the whole thing, as they say. Whoever they are.

Fallows is still writing, and blogging, for The Atlantic. (They actually have an excellent blog lineup, also featuring Ross Douthat, Andrew Sullivan, Matthew Yglesias and Marc Ambinder. Read them; The American Scene; TNR's The Plan and Open University; Volokh; and SCOTUS Blog and you've basically covered the worthwhile blogs, in my opinion.) One presumes that he has since upgraded his system.
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I played games on the old Apple II's they had at my elementary school...Ultima....some bubblegum shooter or something...and I think Carmen Sandiego...
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

One of the most interesting new computers, both as a piece of machinery and as a specimen of capitalism in action, is the Osborne I. Its creator is Adam Osborne, an author of computer books who decided to break the price on-computers. The Osborne I is a very strange-looking piece of equipment. When folded up, it resembles a bulky white briefcase; it is advertised as the only computer that will fit underneath an airline seat. When unfolded, it looks like an outdated military radio. It comes with a full-sized keyboard, a 64K memory, two disk drives, and software for word-processing and accounting that would cost more than $1,000 if bought separately. Osborne offers the whole package for $1,795, which makes it the best bargain on computer power in the business. The catch is that the built-in screen is about the size of a postcard, although it is much easier to read than that would suggest. For an extra $300, you can buy a normal-sized monitor and attach it to the Osborne.
*laughs* The original laptop! That was a very interesting article.. ;)
...I hate marquees.
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

I think you only need a cell phone if you're somebody that a lot of people need to stay in touch with. For example I know a guy who must have his cell phone because that's the doorway to his clients. In the same way, if I start having many clients, I'll probably get cell phone so they can contact me whenever and where ever I am.
Aelwyn
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Aelwyn »

In my family, only the people that drive have cell phones. I don't drive yet, but the only reason I would get a cell phone before I drive is because it would be nice to have one when I'm off babysitting, and things like that. When there could be an emergency and I need quick access to a phone.
violet flower
Peace and love to youse all!
Peace and love to youse all!

Post by violet flower »

My sisiter doesn't have a cell phone and shes 15. I don't see the point in haveing a cell phone that young anyway. :-s
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

I don't have a cell phone at 15, my parents say that they will get me one when they ship me off to college.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

I think it just depends on what you're doing, like if your always gone then it a good thing to have. So I wouldn't say that their should be a certain age, just whatever your needs are.
Robo
A great mapmaker

Post by Robo »

Clodius Albinus wrote:Ah, the old Apple IIs. Wonderful machines!
I have a brand new, old, classic Commodore 64. Still works and I have a game for it... ON A TAPE! Ha ha ha. Games on tapes sound like magic.

-Robo

P.S. And I have an Atari 2600, when I opened the box it smelled like it came from smokers... It came from Vegas... I LOVE TO PLAY PITFALL!
Trillspots
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Trillspots »

Well, I got a cell for emergencies for my 15th birthday. But, didn't really use it much for a couple of years, because I got bad reception at our house, and we had two home phones to use for making phone calls.

But, it's definitely become more useful over the past year or so. I maintain 6 websites, and am always all over the place. It's nice for my friends and clients to be able to contact me with questions and such. Plus our main phone line is vonage - and Mom uses it for her business so our cells double as our home phones.

I agree it's not for everyone - but I'd say you'd have to judge based on the circumstances and maturity of the child before setting an ultimatum on what is the "right" age for any one person to get a cell phone, just like you have to do anything else. Seems ridiculous to me to set age limits on things like that, because everyone is different.

So - I guess my vote is - no certain age, that decision should be made based on maturity and circumstances.

-Trill
whitetigerswt
Tallying up

Post by whitetigerswt »

well that kid just needs a life

Isaiah 30:21
connies#1fan
Found

Post by connies#1fan »

I think that 10 is definately too young for cell phones. I really don't see why they would need one at that age. I can drive and I don't even have one. Hopefully I will get in in a little more than 1 year, because my parents want me to have a job by then.
"The Call" - Regina Spektor
You'll come back
When it's over
No need to say good bye..