Guys Holding Doors

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

I do it often. But I'm not completely consistant. :anxious:

Whenever guys hold the door open for me I say, "William Wallace" as I pass. A youth speaker said to my group of friends that William Wallace was the very picture of chivalry, and then charged us to hold the door open for girls.
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

By the way, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a racist.
Impossible is Nothing
Tallying up

Post by Impossible is Nothing »

Rachel Maxwell wrote:Are any girls here offended by guys holding doors? I've heard that some people get furious about it, and it mystifies me. I think it's sweet.
Okay ya know it's just to early in the morning for me...

I don't find it offensive, but some times it is alittle weird for me. Growing up with three brothers all of which would love to pull my chair from under me rather than seat makes it kinda weird sometimes.....but I think it's nice. Though at times It can be a littlle ( mind you just a little ) annoying !!

Samwise: fixed triple post
Last edited by Impossible is Nothing on Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Old Brad
I've been working out

Post by Old Brad »

Let me put it this way. :)
“For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him."
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

Lol, that's a good way of putting it Bradley. \:D/
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

I second that. :-)
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

That's great Bradley! :hilarious:
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Heehee... that was cute!

I agree that it's just manners. I hold the door for others that are coming. Sometimes if it's a man, they'll take the door holding from me and wave me through. And I certainly wouldn't mind anyone holding the door for me.

But... on the opposite side... women used to wait for men to open doors to buildings and cars, to pull out chairs for them, and so on. Do you think it's still appropriate to do that?
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
The Artful Dodger
Still standing tall

Post by The Artful Dodger »

Seha wrote:If I'm at like a Speech and Debate tournament, or at TeenPact....guys always hold doors open for me.
Yeah, I love speech and debate tournaments, all (or at least most) of the guys are so nice :D
Darcie wrote:But... on the opposite side... women used to wait for men to open doors to buildings and cars, to pull out chairs for them, and so on. Do you think it's still appropriate to do that?
I usually wait for my brother to open the door for me because I know he will. But with other guys, unless they move to open the door, I just open it and hold it untill they either pass through or take ot from me.

Didn't we have some fun, though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said, 'goodbye.' And you were like, 'no, wait.' And then I was all, 'we pretended we were going to murder you.' That was great...
Nasri
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Nasri »

I it really silly girls being by that I belive it a ture gentle man does that but I say DIY(Do It Yourself)

Just kidding guys

Check out my newspaper To0 Star
Old Brad
I've been working out

Post by Old Brad »

Darcie wrote:But... on the opposite side... women used to wait for men to open doors to buildings and cars, to pull out chairs for them, and so on. Do you think it's still appropriate to do that?
Definitely not! That is, not if a man has already done it. Which he should have.
“For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him."
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

When Cliff and I were first courting, he used to make me stay in the car while he got out and walked around to open my door. One of the reasons why I said yes to marrying him :D

So, no--I don't find it offensive, but sweet!
redcanadian87
I'm a teapot

Post by redcanadian87 »

Bradley Doyle wrote:Let me put it this way. :)
I liked that. It was well put.

I believe that guys ought to hold doors open for the ladies. It is a way of showing respect for us. In regards to what Darcie said about whether or not women should still wait for guys to open doors for them, I personally believe that it's not that bad of an idea! I'll often walk up to a door and stand just to the side of it if there is a guy walking with me. Most of the time they get it. ;)

Believe me, the man I marry will open the door for me. I wouldn't think twice about him otherwise.
JesusIsAlive
Former Admin (x2.5)
Former Admin (x2.5)

Post by JesusIsAlive »

Bradley Doyle wrote:Let me put it this way. :)
Lol. I've seen that before! :rofl:
Tyrell
No way I broke the window

Post by Tyrell »

I hold the door for ladies... and for anyone else who might be go through the same door as I. :D
~S~
Macnut
No way I broke the window
Location: At Whit's End, sipping a milkshake and talking with Connie

Post by Macnut »

I don't find it offensive at all, it's nice.

My brother will usually open the door or whatever for me or any other girl.

(*insert funny story*) My brother and I go to Church early on Sundays to set up the sound system and after we set up I take him and a friend of mine to a local café for some coffee. When we walk out to the car he'll usually open to door for my friend and so last week as we were heading out we got to the car and my friend waited for him to open the door. He paused, looked at her and then goes, "What!?! You don't think I'm going to open the door for you, do you?!?!" It was sooo funny. Of course he did open the door for her afterward but it was still really funny. Anywho.... (*end of funny somewhat related story*)

--------------------------------------------
"I’m done and finished with low living, sight walking, small planning,
smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, mundane talking, cheap
living, and dwarfed goals...I am a disciple of Jesus."
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

Tyrell wrote:I hold the door for ladies... and for anyone else who might be go through the same door as I. :D
^^ Ditto.
alwayz_darknes_never_dawn
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by alwayz_darknes_never_dawn »

I was always taught to hold doors open for/push seats in/offer seats/ to girls. I was homeschooled and my "health" course practically pounded it into me every year.

Now that I'm older, I have my license and I go on dates, I'll open the car door for my date when she gets in the car, run over and open the door for her as she gets out, wait til she makes it in the house before I leave, that type of thing.

Chivalry is dead, I, am a zombie
"How Can The Darkness Feel So Wrong?" - Evanescence

www.christiangoth.com - One of my many homes away from home on the internet.

Christian and Goth all in one, I'm a terrific combination!
Nasri
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Nasri »

Hoops-for-Him wrote:
Rachel Maxwell wrote:Are any girls here offended by guys holding doors? I've heard that some people get furious about it, and it mystifies me. I think it's sweet.
Okay ya know it's just to early in the morning for me...

I don't find it offensive, but some times it is alittle weird for me. Growing up with three brothers all of which would love to pull my chair from under me rather than seat makes it kinda weird sometimes.....but I think it's nice. Though at times It can be a littlle ( mind you just a little ) annoying !!

Samwise: fixed triple post
I sure this could be USA thing but where I live we don't do that kind of thing sure as England and Ireland I only offer seats on the train if there is none for Old folks I do not think should be offened weather they offer or not because well just because.

Check out my newspaper To0 Star
redcanadian87
I'm a teapot

Post by redcanadian87 »

alwayz_darknes_never_dawn wrote: Chivalry is dead, I, am a zombie

That, my friend, was quite the way of stating things... O.W.
Raskolnikov
Still standing tall

Post by Raskolnikov »

alwayz_darknes_never_dawn wrote:Chivalry is dead, I, am a zombie
Dude, that's awesome. Chivalry zombies rock.
"Christ died to make men holy, let us die to make men free" -Battle Hymn of the Republic
"What we do in life, echos in eternity." -Maximus in Gladiator
>John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.<
How dare I call this love and not bear my cross to the end.