Little kids having their ears pierced

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
suzanne291
I've been here a bit

Post by suzanne291 »

My parents wouldn't let me get any holes until I was 13 and it ended up being 14. I want another hole, but it will probably be a while. (college?)

A lot of my friends have had their ears pierced since they were tiny, though.
I am the only one to blame for this
Somehow it all ends up the same
Soaring on the wings of selfish pride, I flew too high
and like Icarus I collide
with the world I tried so hard to leave behind
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

Darcie wrote:It is common in some cultures to do it when the child is a newborn.
:yes:

Here in Mexico, if your little girl doesn't have her ears pierced, she isn't a girl. :-s I got teased unmercifully until I got mine done when I was 12. :shame:
don't forget the rain.
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

I don't think there is anything wrong with young children getting their ears peirced. It's just a little hole in their ear. I got mine peirced when I was nine but I never wear earings so my hole is pretty much closed up. All of my sisters, I have three, have gotten their ears peirced from ages six to ten.
amyinodyssey
Found

Post by amyinodyssey »

I help out at my church once a month in the infants room and I see babies who have had their ears pierced. In my opinion it looks really bad but I'm not a parent yet so I don't have to worry about this happening to my children. It does make sense to me why parents do it though: because that way they don't have to do it when they are older and they can ignore the pain then because they will have no memory of the pain from when they were babies.

My parents didn't let me get my ears pierced until I was 12. I was so afraid of needles back then that I didn't get my ears pierced at all. Then one of my friends noticed that I hadn't gotten my ears pierced and she was like, "Amy we have to get your ears pierced". At that time I was 21 and I said to myself if I hold out another year it will be 10 years that I have gone without getting my ears pierced. So I got my ears pierced this past January. It was terrible! Whatever you do do not go to Claires to get your ears pierced! The earing studs kept sinking into my ears and then the earing on my right ear was straying from the original place where it was pierced. My friend said that I had to take my earings out because then the right one wouldn't heal properly. I don't think I will be getting my ears pierced again anytime soon because if you ask me, it's just a hassle.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Interesting topic.

I'm pretty ambivalent about it. A lot of my aquaintances have had thier ears pierced during infancy without any ill effects.

I submitted to the barbarism around age 9 and a few subsequent times during college. The most notable (and painful) of them was inflicted by a tatooist's needle. Currently, I have 2 holes in each ear and will probably refrain from adding additional ones in the future.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

amyinodyssey wrote:My parents didn't let me get my ears pierced until I was 12. I was so afraid of needles back then that I didn't get my ears pierced at all. Then one of my friends noticed that I hadn't gotten my ears pierced and she was like, "Amy we have to get your ears pierced". At that time I was 21 and I said to myself if I hold out another year it will be 10 years that I have gone without getting my ears pierced. So I got my ears pierced this past January. It was terrible! Whatever you do do not go to Claires to get your ears pierced! The earing studs kept sinking into my ears and then the earing on my right ear was straying from the original place where it was pierced. My friend said that I had to take my earings out because then the right one wouldn't heal properly. I don't think I will be getting my ears pierced again anytime soon because if you ask me, it's just a hassle.
It's interesting that you should say that, because I got my ears' pierced at Claires and had problems too. In fact, one of my ears swelled and the skin engulfed that stud so that I had to go to the doctor to get it out. Not a fun Christmas memory. However, I did get my ear re-pierced, and we came to the conclusion that it was the Claires solution that was the problem...so we switched to rubbing alcohol and I haven't had any problems since.

Back on topic...I don't have any problems with parents who choose to have their infant daughter's ears' pierced, though that's probably not what I'll do when I have kids.
WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

My opinion is that parents should not do that to their kids, they should at least let their kids make that decision. And also, I think it's kinda dumb. What's the point?
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:27 AM): That long?!
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:31 AM): IT WAS EONS AGO!
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:33 AM): *falls over*
WINDSHEAR (9/13/2008 10:54:46 AM): I've already fallen over and died :noway:
WINDSHEAR (9/13/2008 10:54:47 AM): I beat you. :neener:
Cambrie
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by Cambrie »

I haven't gotten mine pierced yet. Mostly because I'm a scaredy cat. :)

But also, because I play sports and don't wish to have my earrings pulled out.

Call it an irrational fear of sorts. :)
redcanadian87
I'm a teapot

Post by redcanadian87 »

I didn't get my ears peirced until a year and a half ago. I honestly didn't think I'd ever get my ears done, but in the end I did. I know that my parents didn't want me to get them done when I was little, that's for sure. It became my choice after a while. I know I'm not going to get more than the one set of holes though, and there are times when I've thought about letting them grow in again.

In regards to little kids having their ears pierced: there was a family in our church that 'had to' pierce the ears of their little girls, because everyone in the church kept commenting to the parents: "what cute little boys you have!" They eventually got annoyed enough that they went out and got their ears pierced... and then they looked like little boys with earings!

Random comment on the "don't get your ears pierced at Clair's":
Anytime they use a piercing gun that shoots the stud through your ear, there will be problems (sometimes fairly minor, sometimes more drastic) Technically, piercing should be done by hand. The hole should be made with a piercing needle, and then the stud can be put through the hole. The gun pierces the skin too quickly, and will damage the tissue, causing a bump of scar tissue around the hole. And NEVER pierce your upper ear with a gun: the cartilage will probably shatter from the impact. That's why it usually hurts so much to get them done.
boneablaze
Tallying up

Post by boneablaze »

I have no problems with parents getting their young daughters ears pierced. It's their decision. What I have trouble accepting (and will probably never accept) is when I see parents of a young boy under 3 years old and the boy has an earing. If I have a son, I probably won't freak out if he wants to get his ear pierced, but I definately wouldn't go and do it before he decides he wants to do something dumb. I would also likely wait until my daughter wants pierced ears. Mine were done when I was an infant, and by the time I was 8 I didn't like wearing earings. Last year I went back to wearing earings and a couple months ago go second holes in my ears done. So I wish my parents had waited until I was old enough to decide that I wanted pierced ears.
Conniepaw
Smile for the camera

Post by Conniepaw »

redcanadian87 wrote:
Anytime they use a piercing gun that shoots the stud through your ear, there will be problems (sometimes fairly minor, sometimes more drastic)
Untrue. I had that done and had absolutely no problems. My ears have been pierced for 10 years and never had problems.
redcanadian87
I'm a teapot

Post by redcanadian87 »

Conniepaw wrote:
redcanadian87 wrote:
Anytime they use a piercing gun that shoots the stud through your ear, there will be problems (sometimes fairly minor, sometimes more drastic)
Untrue. I had that done and had absolutely no problems. My ears have been pierced for 10 years and never had problems.
Not meaning to argue, but have you ever had it done by an actual piercing artist? Cause only if you have ever compared a hole done 'properly' to one put in by a gun will you know the difference. And that was what I meant by "fairly minor problems" It usually doesn't cause obvious "problems:" i.e. infection or other such things... just sometimes.
Conniepaw
Smile for the camera

Post by Conniepaw »

redcanadian87 wrote:
Conniepaw wrote:
redcanadian87 wrote:
Not meaning to argue, but have you ever had it done by an actual piercing artist? Cause only if you have ever compared a hole done 'properly' to one put in by a gun will you know the difference. And that was what I meant by "fairly minor problems" It usually doesn't cause obvious "problems:" i.e. infection or other such things... just sometimes.
It was not an "actual piercing artist." whatever that means.
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

People who are actually trained about how to pierce using actual piercing equipment...
Nasri
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Nasri »

danadelfos wrote:I'm not getting my ears pierced ever! :noway:
Lots of boys do were I live and they thinks cool but it looks pertty stuipd to me and also it looks cute having little age 2-3 having their ears pierced like little couson has them.

Check out my newspaper To0 Star
Tyrell
No way I broke the window

Post by Tyrell »

I started getting piercings at the age of 3.

I have 3 earrings in each ear, three studs in both eyebrows, two lip rings, one stud under my lip, one noes ring and two noes studs. \:D/

;)
~S~
WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

Good job, Tyrell ;)
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:27 AM): That long?!
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:31 AM): IT WAS EONS AGO!
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:33 AM): *falls over*
WINDSHEAR (9/13/2008 10:54:46 AM): I've already fallen over and died :noway:
WINDSHEAR (9/13/2008 10:54:47 AM): I beat you. :neener:
Aram
Expecting a battle

Post by Aram »

That's nothing. :noway:

I got my first tattoo at the age of 2.
Tyrell
No way I broke the window

Post by Tyrell »

Oh yeah?

I got MY first tattoo from sharpies not crayons, like you! :noway:
~S~
strife286
Tallying up

Post by strife286 »

I got my ears pierced when I was 15, but I stopped wearing earrings when I was about 17. I'm also a guy, so it's less common anyhow.