What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
ajamj
Older Than Dirt
Older Than Dirt

Post by ajamj »

This morning I finished Sherlock Holmes: The Man and His World by H.R.F. Keating. I'm not sure which in the pile will be next.

Everyone should have a happy dance.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I'm currently reading Ark Angel and rereading Fahrenheit 451. \:D/
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Wind Harp by B.J. Hoff, it was excellent!! I loved both of these books, I can't wait for the third one. I am going to re read Crown of Fire by Craig and Janet Parshall, it is the first book in their The Thistle and the Cross series. I have read this book before, but I don't remember it and I found the second one yesterday.
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

I just finished this book called, "Princess Academy" I loved it so much that I read it in less than 2 hours. :anxious:
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

I'm gettin' ready to re-read LOTR again...I wish I had more time though, since i don't it might take me awhile to get through them this time...
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Lulu the Paw
29K to go!

Post by Lulu the Paw »

Has anyone read A Season of Shadows by Paul McCusker? I was thrilled to find out that he wrote somthing besides kid books! It's really good, especially if you like books about WWII specifically and spies in general.
You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.
-C.S. Lewis
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Lulu the Guru wrote:Has anyone read A Season of Shadows by Paul McCusker? I was thrilled to find out that he wrote somthing besides kid books! It's really good, especially if you like books about WWII specifically and spies in general.
You are clearly a girl with impeccable taste in books! \:D/ Yes, I have read that one! I bought it, actually, since I was so happy when I saw it that I wanted to make sure that I could read it, since I didn't think that my local library would get it soon. I did enjoy it!
Zeba
Still standing tall

Post by Zeba »

Birdie wrote:I just finished this book called, "Princess Academy" I loved it so much that I read it in less than 2 hours. :anxious:
Oh, I love that book! Have you read any of the other books by Shannon Hale? They're all really good.

I'm currently reading Frankenstein.
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

Each day, I'm reading My Utmost For His Highest by Oswald Chambers. This is one of the most challenging books, in the sense that it often causes me to go "Ouch!" It's definitely a great book for those who are serious about strengthening their faith.

I FINALLY got to read Speechless: Living in Awe of God's Disruptive Grace, by Steven Curtis Chapman and his pastor, Scotty Smith. It's an awesome book that I highly recommend. SCC's not just a great singer: his theology's sound too. :)

Now I'm about to read Restoring Broken Things, also by SCC and Scotty Smith.

I'm also reading the "Sylvie Cycle" to my brother and my mom. It consists of The Great Good Thing, Into The Labyrinth, and The Constellation of Sylvie. Awesome stories that I also highly recommend.

I was reading Byzantium by Stephen Lawhead, but that kind of stopped around Christmas. I need to start reading it again.

I think that's about it. I'm considering getting a Message Bible to read. From what I've heard and seen, it looks like a pretty accurate translation.
Anne Doyle
Green is good

Post by Anne Doyle »

Arwen wrote:Each day, I'm reading My Utmost For His Highest by Oswald Chambers. This is one of the most challenging books, in the sense that it often causes me to go "Ouch!" It's definitely a great book for those who are serious about strengthening their faith.
That's what I'm reading right now too. I totaly agree! :highfive:
На фоне синего Skys, ссылку из прошлого в будущее, под крыльями убежище защитников.
jollyholiday
I'm a teapot

Post by jollyholiday »

The Quantum World - Quantum Physics for Everyone
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That sounds like quite the book! Maybe it should be "..for almost everyone, because I'm pretty sure that it isn't for me. ;)

"The Captive Bride" by Gilbert Morris - the second in the House of Winslow series. A lot of research seems to go into his books - John Bunyan is a character and there's a casual mention to Samuel Pepys (pronounced "Peeps" whenever I've heard it) and stuff like that. I can't say that it's the best book I've ever read, but it's okay. Some things seems questionable, like confusing two people who look similar when you're up close, but knowing which one it is when they're further away.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Crown of Fire it was excellent the second time, just like the first!! I am now starting Captives and Kings which is the second book in the series. :D
EvangelineWalker
I'm a teapot

Post by EvangelineWalker »

I am reading A Good Man is Hard to Find and other stories by Flannery O'Connor. She's an ...interesting author...
FrayedAroundTheEdges
i hold the hand that holds the world
i hold the hand that holds the world

Post by FrayedAroundTheEdges »

I just finished The Devil Wears Prada (its REALLY good, but they swear ALOT and it kinda has some "iffy" prts) and Im readin this book called Avalon High right now and it's pretty good \:D/
]Lost and insecure, you found me, lyin on the floor...
whyd you have to wait? where were you?
just a little late...you found me
<3 The Fray --> You Found Me
Lonesome Dove
Probably not a NPC

Post by Lonesome Dove »

"The Walking Drum" by Louis L'Amour.

I find it quite interesting.
18:36 <Katilyn>: *somehting
18:36 <Katilyn>: **somehting
18:36 <Katilyn>: ...
18:36 <Katilyn>: ***something
Image Image
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

ajamj wrote:This morning I finished Sherlock Holmes: The Man and His World by H.R.F. Keating. I'm not sure which in the pile will be next.
If I may be so biased, that was an excellent choice.

Apart from my many monographs, I concluded my last reading session with "The Tristan Betrayal" by Robert Ludlum (yes, even I fall prey to cheap thrills every so often).
Tyrell
No way I broke the window

Post by Tyrell »

Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Hound of the Baskervilles. \:D/

I started last night and then before I went to bed I thought for good measures I'd better kick my dog out of my room before I went to sleep. :anxious:
~S~
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Captives and Kings, it was excellent!! I am starting The Longing Season by Christine Schaub. It is about John Newton who wrote the hymn Amazing Grace, it is the second book in her Music of the Heart series. :D
actinglove299
Sing in the sunshine

Post by actinglove299 »

I'm reading the Christy Miller series...originally by catherine mashall but adapted by C. Archer.
In school we are reading The Odyssey..its actually pretty good and holds my interest.