How do you eat on Thanksgiving

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

How does your family serve the meal?

Buffet
46%
Pass
42%
Serve
4%
Other
8%

Total votes: 26

STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

How do you eat on Thanksgiving

Post by STRYPER »

In my family it has always been custom to do the buffet line and then go sit down at the large table. You always see in commercials, however, one large family passing the different dishes around the table. This, to me, looks much more hectic than what we do but that's why I give my mom props :D

Yet, we don't eat Thanksgiving meal the way we eat regular meals. Almost always for dinner, my mom will serve each plate individually and then we'll pray and start eating.

So what do you do?
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Manda
Someone's favorite

Post by Manda »

Some Thanksgivings it's just my family - then we just pass the plates around. This Thanksgiving we had nine people (including my family) - and our table couldn't even hold all of the food much less nine at the same table! So we put the food on the table and a little card table and went and ate in the living-room. \:D/
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

With a....knife, and fork and a spoon *doo doo*.....we beat out a happy tune....*doo doo*

Sorry, I couldn't resist..... :anxious:

I have a small family- and we usually don't go anywhere for Thanksgiving...so we just have it all at the table! (Although, today we did it buffet style....) :-k
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

We usually all sit down, then pray, and then we pass our plates for the food farther down the on the table, so that everyone helps everyone else! \:D/

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Yeah, buffet seems to work best in our family. We almost always celebrate with my in-laws and a set of grandparents. That makes nine, and there's not enough room on the table for all of us, let alone dishes of food too!

I am sure that previous years with my parents and only 4-6 people we had it on the table. But then we've also had 12+ split among two tables with food on a serving table. Just depends on the situation! :)
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
ajamj
Older Than Dirt
Older Than Dirt

Post by ajamj »

It depends where we spend the day. This year we went to my sister-in-law's in-laws. They did buffet. Normally we have a card table set up at one end and everything gets passed.

Everyone should have a happy dance.
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

We had buffet style. We have such a large family so it's easier that way.
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

We've always done it as a buffet. Our family is too big to pass around dishes like that. The mashed potatoes or beans would probably get lost somewhere down the line. When we ate with my mom's family, we used to sit at a big long table, but still did the buffet thing. (Actually, it wasn't one big table, it was one real table with 3 or 4 card tables butted up next to each other)

This year, we were all seperated. My dad's family is even bigger than my mom's (something I didn't exactly notice before) and we sat at 5 different tables in 4 different rooms. So, passing food around wasn't really an option.

Sarah
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

We usually do it buffet style, we find it's less chaotic.
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

See I figured most did the buffet style you always see in movies and commercials and stuff the whole family pass thing. As if that is somehow more holidayish...
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
HarlowRoxMySox
Smile for the camera

Post by HarlowRoxMySox »

We always pass the stuff around, unless we're at our Aunt's house, then it's buffet style. Well, I guess it depends on whether its just us or the extended family. Anytime we're extended we do buffet. So... I guess it goes either way :D
Do any of YOU know how to make hand shadows?

Kathrine Doyle is my dorky little sister... JK... kinda ^o^
My awsome Avatar & Sig were illustrated by a friend named Navi!
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Always buffet and kids* first.

*So far, kid = anyone in my family generation, which is 21 and under right now...which means I am still a kid!
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Well, if ti actually Thanksgiving day, we would eat, my family, at the hospital, since my mom works at the hospital during lunch. If it the Saturday after, we go to my grandmothers or someone on my mom's side of the family's house and eat lunch all together and talk afterwards. We do this for Christmas too, but we go up to my dads for Christmas and celebrate Thanksgiving adn CHristmas all togehter. It isn't that bad.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

We all sit at a large made-up table, say a prayer, and then pass the food around the table, each person taking what they want, and passing it on. The Turkey, we might hand our plates over to have it served, but other than that...

We've just always done it that way, I like it. :)
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Macnut
No way I broke the window
Location: At Whit's End, sipping a milkshake and talking with Connie

Post by Macnut »

Pass. Apart from the Turkey that's a pass your plate thing. Daddy serves it. :D

--------------------------------------------
"I’m done and finished with low living, sight walking, small planning,
smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, mundane talking, cheap
living, and dwarfed goals...I am a disciple of Jesus."
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

Aahh, the Pass method caught up. I find this topic quite facinating \:D/
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Buffet. Too many dishes and too many people to have it all on the table. :D
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Aelwyn
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Aelwyn »

Usually when we have family gatherings we have the food set out buffet style and then sit wherever.
On Thanksgiving, however, this time we passed the food around one table. And I think other times we have more than one table set up and have food on both tables to pass around.
Pc Pro
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Pc Pro »

I ate a orange, as I speed down the M1 at 130 KLM \:D/
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

wE ALWAYS FILL THE TABLE WITH AS MUCH FOOD AS POSSIBLE AND THEN PASS IT AROUND. mY MOM EVEN MAKES ME VEGETARIAN STUFFING AND SOMETIMES A TOFURKEY SO THE TABLE GETS EVEN FULLER. wE DON'T TRY TO FIT DESERT ON THOUGH (Whoops-sorry! My cat was visiting me and stepped on the keyboard and I didn't notice it changed it to caplock!) and just wait till after the meal.