Thanksgiving collides into Christmas

The pumpkins and the trees

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
LiviNoel
I've been here a bit

Thanksgiving collides into Christmas

Post by LiviNoel »

Thanksgiving is a month before Christmas. It seems like the commercial world jumps from Halloween to Christmas. Poor Thanksgiving. So often, this day of thanks seems glossed over. But, if people wait too long, they miss precious time for Christmas preparation.

What do y'all think about that? When do you pull out your Christmas decorations or start playing Christmas music? What are your thoughts about time around the holidays?
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

We don't have to buy too much in the way of Christmas decorations, thankfully. For us we normally go into offical Christmas gear when Thanksgiving is over. However this year is different. Since we're going to Canada for Christmas and my cousin won't be here for Christmas because he's got to leave for basic training in the middle of December we decided we're going to do Christmas at Thanksgiving when everyone will be at our house for dinner.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Christmas music never stops playing for me. I start playing Christmas music for various reasons in the summer.

As for decorations, we usually get the outside stuff up before Thanksgiving simply b/c of weather, but my Mom won't let my Dad turn it on til Thanksgiving night, and we usually decorate the inside after that.
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

Heathen :insane:
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Agent3xq
I eat combination locks
I eat combination locks

Post by Agent3xq »

My mom and little brother always start decorating and bust out the Christmas music on December 1st \:D/
I believe in the place where the mind and the heart unite at faith
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

That's the day of my first Christmas performance this year \:D/
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

You know, some stores had Christmas stuff up before Halloween. As much as I enjoy Christmas, it seems to be jumping the gun to have it out too early. :noway:

We put decorations up outside before Thanksgiving, and then turn it all on Thanksgiving night (So all the grandkids of my parents can see the lights as they drive off that night).
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I'm with Jonathan on the Christmas music - I play it year round. ;)

The stores do seem to be starting Christmas early this year - I don't mind terribly since I'm in the mood myself. We don't decorate until the day after Thanksgiving - it's a tradition in our family. :)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

Our family doesn't do that many decorations. Maybe a couple sets of lights but we don't do a Christmas tree because we can never find time to go cut one.
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
HarlowRoxMySox
Smile for the camera

Post by HarlowRoxMySox »

Christmas Tree and other decorations go up the DAY after Thanksgiving, and not a moment earlier. But as far as music goes, whenever's fine.
Do any of YOU know how to make hand shadows?

Kathrine Doyle is my dorky little sister... JK... kinda ^o^
My awsome Avatar & Sig were illustrated by a friend named Navi!
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

Last year I got a Christmas CD for Easter, and I saved it until exactly 6 weeks before Christmas, then listened to it once and saved it until after Thanksgiving. I listened to Christmas music at the 6 week mark this year, and I'll probably start listening to it again after Thanksgiving.

My December is going to be so incredibly busy this year, more so than usual. Christmas will come faster. \:D/
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

I love Christmas ALOT. But it seems to come earlier and earlier every year in stores. I really don't get into the Christmas spirit until after Thanksgiving. I ususally wait a few days and then start decorating. And playing music...and shopping and baking ...and gaining weight! This year I am officially being forced to one of those stupid "day-after-thanksgiving" sales though.....Grrr! There is this tool store that is having a huge sale on an air compressor and accessories (which Cliff wants) that I will be able to get for $200 if I drive an hour to Eugene after for this sale the day after Thanksgiving. Otherwise it would be over $350.....so I will go. Even though I despise those sales!!!!! They are so commercialized! (It's so good to know that my morals can't be swayed by a little thing like $150+ :anxious: )