Almost DYING!

Have you ever almost died?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

WINDSHEAR wrote:But anyways, staring at the oncoming vehicle head on, rapidly getting closer and closer, was kinda scary, I'll say.
I'll second that. Especially when you're not the driver.
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

Around age 10, I was chewing on the end of a pen making the little cap, or whatever it is, come out. I'd squeeze the end with my teeth making the cap pop out and then use my tounge to push it back in.

I remember the details like it was yesterday... I was watching Heidi, staring Shirley Temple, at the part where Heidi was in the big house getting gifts from rich family. All of a sudden, the cap I was playing with in my mouth shot into the back of my throat.

I keeled over on all fours and stared at the floor with my mouth open. I couldn't breath at all! My dad, curious, asked if I was about to throw up. I shook my head because I couldn't say anything. Then he said, more concerned, "are you chocking?" I nodded furiously and felt all the blood race to my head.

As my dad raced over to me, I felt a cough and it popped out. How, I have no clue. I've read accounts of people assuming tha angels are watching over us and help save us in situations like that. There was no logical reason why it popped out when it did. I can only assume it was the hand of God.
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

Wow, STRYPER....

That angel thing reminded me on another story.

When I was around 12 my parents decided that it was time to go raise some more support. So off we went, in out 15 passenger van heading toward the USA. It was my mom's turn driving. My oldest brother was in the front passenger seat helping with the directions. My dad lay asleep in the back. It was pitch black outside, and we were on one of those roads that are in the mountains and curve and everthing.

So something was happening in one of the back seats and my mom turned her head to see what was happening. I can still hear my brothers scream. I think it was the only time I'd ever heard/seen him afraid. He screamed, "MOM!". She jerked her head around and the wheel at the same time, not knowing what was happening. As she turned her head and the wheel she looked to her side. What she saw made her almost throw up. A cliff. Just like that we could have plummeted into the darkness and been killed.

We still don't know why she turned the wheel. I mean, for all she knew he could have been saying that we missed a turn. And what made her turn the right way, is beyond comprehension. It scared as all and she drove more carefully that night. I remember seeing my brother with his nails in the dash board peering out into the darkness....That's when I fell asleep.

I've had other experiences with angels, but not all of them have to do with life and death, so I'll leave them for another time.

Lucy
don't forget the rain.
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

I wouldn't say that I have never been close to dying, aside from my premature birth. Although, very close friends and family members certainly have. Unless of course anybody cares, (which I doubt) I won't bother telling any stories. ;)
Pc Pro
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Pc Pro »

STRYPER wrote:Around age 10, I was chewing on the end of a pen making the little cap, or whatever it is, come out. I'd squeeze the end with my teeth making the cap pop out and then use my tounge to push it back in.

I remember the details like it was yesterday... I was watching Heidi, staring Shirley Temple, at the part where Heidi was in the big house getting gifts from rich family. All of a sudden, the cap I was playing with in my mouth shot into the back of my throat.

I keeled over on all fours and stared at the floor with my mouth open. I couldn't breath at all! My dad, curious, asked if I was about to throw up. I shook my head because I couldn't say anything. Then he said, more concerned, "are you chocking?" I nodded furiously and felt all the blood race to my head.

As my dad raced over to me, I felt a cough and it popped out. How, I have no clue. I've read accounts of people assuming tha angels are watching over us and help save us in situations like that. There was no logical reason why it popped out when it did. I can only assume it was the hand of God.
wow that amazing! and scary :anxious:
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

STRYPER wrote:As my dad raced over to me, I felt a cough and it popped out. How, I have no clue. I've read accounts of people assuming tha angels are watching over us and help save us in situations like that. There was no logical reason why it popped out when it did. I can only assume it was the hand of God.
At Bible study last night we were talking about near-death experiences (I'm not even sure how we got to that topic), and my Pastor said he believes Satan is trying to get us killed on a regular basis, and that God saves us from such things on a regular basis until he calls us home (and your story reminded me of that, particuarly that last paragraph).
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I tripped when running up the stairs and fell onto the broken off antenna of the radio that sat in our hallway. It poked me right in the place where you take your pulse on your neck. My mom freaked and called the doctor and they said over the phone that if it was bleeding it was too late and I would have just died right there on the floor.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Shad Lexer wrote:I wouldn't say that I have never been close to dying, aside from my premature birth. Although, very close friends and family members certainly have. Unless of course anybody cares, (which I doubt) I won't bother telling any stories. ;)
If you want to share stuff, then that's fine and wonderful, but I doubt that anybody will fall down on their knees and beg you to tell us near-death stories. ;) Though it is tempting... :-k
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Jonathan wrote:
STRYPER wrote:As my dad raced over to me, I felt a cough and it popped out. How, I have no clue. I've read accounts of people assuming tha angels are watching over us and help save us in situations like that. There was no logical reason why it popped out when it did. I can only assume it was the hand of God.
At Bible study last night we were talking about near-death experiences (I'm not even sure how we got to that topic), and my Pastor said he believes Satan is trying to get us killed on a regular basis, and that God saves us from such things on a regular basis until he calls us home (and your story reminded me of that, particuarly that last paragraph).
That's a very interesting thought. Seems wasteful and futile on satan's part though. Surely he knows we will not die unless God allows it.. . ?
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

Dutch Doyle wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
That's a very interesting thought. Seems wasteful and futile on satan's part though. Surely he knows we will not die unless God allows it.. . ?
Hmm, yes.

My parents (and I) believe that as well. Especially when you're doing God's work, Satan wants to stop you. To make sure you don't accomplish anything.

He's done a lot of things to me and my family to try and get us off the mission field, and one included almost succeeding in killing my parents (but that's another story for another time). But we're still here. Every day I feel that there's a spiritual battle going on. Whether it's little things like the computer not working, or bigger things like getting too sick to work. That's where prayer comes it.

Just thought I'd add that. :anxious:

Lucy
don't forget the rain.
WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

Dutch Doyle wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
Because sometimes God allows it, and he's hoping he'll strike it lucky. Also, he tries to get us away from God and into positions where we won't be saved, and then he tries to lock in his victory by trying to kill us so we can't repent. :-k
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:27 AM): That long?!
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:31 AM): IT WAS EONS AGO!
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:33 AM): *falls over*
WINDSHEAR (9/13/2008 10:54:46 AM): I've already fallen over and died :noway:
WINDSHEAR (9/13/2008 10:54:47 AM): I beat you. :neener:
Anne Doyle
Green is good

Post by Anne Doyle »

I slid down a ravine at a big park for my borther's birthday once time. I had to crawl back up by the ivy. I remember Jennifer being so scared and talking me through it.
На фоне синего Skys, ссылку из прошлого в будущее, под крыльями убежище защитников.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

WINDSHEAR wrote:
Dutch Doyle wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
Because sometimes God allows it, and he's hoping he'll strike it lucky. Also, he tries to get us away from God and into positions where we won't be saved, and then he tries to lock in his victory by trying to kill us so we can't repent. :-k
I can feel confident to know that God's not going to let me die until He's finished with me. Satan isn't going to luck out and get me killed unless God says "ok."
Also, I don't think that we need to specifically say "I'm sorry" for every sin before we die or we're destined to heck. We are under the Blood of Christ, and dying before we remember to repent of gossiping in the 2nd grade isn't going to revoke that at the pearly gates.
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

Dutch Doyle wrote:Also, I don't think that we need to specifically say "I'm sorry" for every sin before we die or we're destined to heck. We are under the Blood of Christ, and dying before we remember to repent of gossiping in the 2nd grade isn't going to revoke that at the pearly gates.
haha, I used to believe that when I was little. I remember bursting into tears telling my mom that I was sure I had forgotten to apologized for something and that God was certainly going to hold it against me :(

My mom tried to sort me out ;)
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

well, I don't exactly believe that either, but it does matter that we repent of our known sins. If you don't remember what happened in second grade, you're alright. If you remember, you should repent immediately. And it's not like gossiping is exactly a sin, either. :roll: Although it is definitely bad.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

I've never had a near death experience, except that someone almost ran me over, and I had to jump to the side even though the car did knock me down. ](*,) And then when I was younger and I had chicken pox I felt like I was dying. ;)
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

WINDSHEAR wrote:well, I don't exactly believe that either, but it does matter that we repent of our known sins. If you don't remember what happened in second grade, you're alright. If you remember, you should repent immediately.
Yet, a sin I committed in second grade is already forgiven, whether I remember it or not ;)
WINDSHEAR wrote: And it's not like gossiping is exactly a sin, either. :roll: Although it is definitely bad.
Um define gossip please, I think you might be mistaken :anxious:
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

STRYPER wrote:
WINDSHEAR wrote:well, I don't exactly believe that either, but it does matter that we repent of our known sins. If you don't remember what happened in second grade, you're alright. If you remember, you should repent immediately.
Yet, a sin I committed in second grade is already forgiven, whether I remember it or not ;)
The sin you committed in second grade, is forgiven, if you would be of a mind to repent of it. If you would not do such a thing again, because you believe it's wrong. :-k I couldn't agree that it's forgiven if you remember it, and you aren't sorry for it, and won't repent. Sorry. :noway:
STRYPER wrote:Um define gossip please, I think you might be mistaken :anxious:
while I don't think it is right, it's not in the Ten Commandments. :-k Unless the gossip includes false speculations, in which one might argue that the commandment "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour" is broken. However, the law isn't saying untruth, it's saying false witness (as in a court), against someone. That's quite different. Although the Bible does have things to say about lying elsewhere. ;)
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

Well, even though you didn't define gossip for me, can I at least assume that you would agree that gossip, by nature, is unloving to your neighbor? If gossiping communication was loving, it wouldn't be gossip but encouragement. Therefore, gossip, by it's very nature violates Jesus' second commandment.
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

Actually, what Jesus was doing there in the New Testament, was telling us what the principle of the law was. The first four commandments are about loving God supremely, which was Jesus first commandment. And the last six, are about our relationships with our fellow human beings, who are our neighbours. That's Jesus' second commandment. So we can see here, the Ten Commandments were for the purpose of spelling out how we relate to our neighbours.

Under that principle, yes indeed, gossiping is wrong. I never said gossip was right. I always believe gossip to be not good, at the very least. I just wasn't sure as to whether it could, or should, becalled a sin.

However, if we are to go by the two commandments Jesus provided us with, we have a very broad commandment indeed, and there are a lot more things than just stated in the Ten Commandments that are sins, and that we need to be careful of.