The Death Of Superman

The new movie Hollywoodland

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Jasper Dale
OK

The Death Of Superman

Post by Jasper Dale »

has anyone in the forum watched the old superman t.v. show that starred george reeves as superman? i watched it as a kid and i vividly remember the afternoon my mom told me that the actor that played superman had killed himself.

she had no idea how upset it made me. i remember that whole weekend very well and how i just sat in my room and thought about it.

i probably won't see the movie they just made about his death, but it reminds me that the things kids see on a daily basis really has an impact. that's why i am so glad today's kids have such a neat show like Odyssey to turn to for entertainment!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

The movie looks really interesting... I'd definitely like to see it.

While I'm too young to have watched the show when it was new, I grew up with the reruns on Nick at Nite...
Jasper Dale
OK

Post by Jasper Dale »

my wife and i buy way too many dvds and since she has all the "smallville" and "lois and clark" dvd's out there, i made her cough up and get me my "adventures of superman" dvd's.

i really wonder if the "hollywoodland" movie does justice to george reeves or not.
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

The trailer makes it sound like he was an adulterer...

... which I don't know if that is true or not. But there was a whole lot of loose ends with how he died and I do remember my mom saying that the mob killed him.

It looks interesting, but I don't think I would ever see it in a theatre. (They sadly don't have a fast forward button. :( )

-Cowboy
Jasper Dale
OK

Post by Jasper Dale »

i know, i would like to see parts of the movie but don't think i want to sit there and have to watch ben affleck in an "r" rated movie. he's bad enough in the "pg" ones.

\:D/
pianokitty
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by pianokitty »

It has Adrian Brody in it..I'll definetly watch it... when it comes out on DVD
Manda
Someone's favorite

Post by Manda »

www.pluggedinonline.com I won't be watching it, as much as I adore Mr. Brody. :(
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

COWBOY OF TEXAS wrote:The trailer makes it sound like he was an adulterer...

... which I don't know if that is true or not. But there was a whole lot of loose ends with how he died and I do remember my mom saying that the mob killed him.

It looks interesting, but I don't think I would ever see it in a theatre. (They sadly don't have a fast forward button. :( )

-Cowboy
Ahh- alas, the joy of the fast forward button.... \:D/
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

And the slow motion button! \:D/

Kidding. ;)

But I noticed in the preview, it looks like they have a shiny reflection over his chest. I've not noticed which studio is putting this out... am I right to assume it's not Warner Bros.? I'm thinking it's not, so they can't show the "S" logo...
Jasper Dale
OK

Post by Jasper Dale »

i would like to see the movie simply because i have always thought it was very unbelievable that George Reeves would kill himself. however, i just can't bring myself to go and pay money to see a movie that has a lot of junk in it.

i really like the "plugged in" reviews because they really tell you about the content of movies. it has helped me avoid icky movies in the past.
xiao
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by xiao »

The Top Crusader wrote:And the slow motion button! \:D/
:hilarious:
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

I remember seeing in a Superman documentary a while ago that George Reeves committed suicide. From what the doc said, George was a fabulous actor who always felt angry that the only role he could get was in tights. He did very well in some early movies and critics expected him to have a glorious career but... no one signed him on for any movies for years and years.

Finally, he got the role of Superman and, while he adored the role, always felt bitter that he was now recognized as Superman and would really never play anything else again.

Sad story :(
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again