Nanny McPhee

The epic cinema experience!

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Jasper Dale
OK

Post by Jasper Dale »

no, i didn't think it was much like "mary poppins" at all. i didn't think i was going to like the movie after watching the first ten or fifteen minutes, but it grew on me.

it's really more a a farce than anything else.
Noriko
Not as new

Post by Noriko »

I haven't seen it. :(
Macnut
No way I broke the window
Location: At Whit's End, sipping a milkshake and talking with Connie

Post by Macnut »

I saw it! I really liked it. I think that all the kids that they picked did a really great job. Simon and Sebastian were my favorites!

~ Mac
LiviNoel
I've been here a bit

Post by LiviNoel »

I was really skeptical to watch Nanny McPhee at first. It looked like a bad remake of Mary Poppins. Mary Poppins has a special place in my heart. It's a piece of my young childhood. So, I didn't want to see a movie that people were saying was "this generations' Mary Poppins." You can't replace Julie Andrews! She's the absolute best!

But, I finally watched Nanny McPhee, and you know what? It was really, really good. It wasn't a remake of Mary Poppins. The storyline was different. the only similarities lay in the fact that Nanny McPhee was a nanny with some sort of special powers. But, even Nanny McPhee's powers were used for different things.

The story was well-written. Kudos to Emma Thompson for her screenplay. The story has great family values, it's fun, entertaining, and it's appropriate for a lot of ages.

Well, my post is kind of turning into more of a review, but I just wanted to encourage those who were skeptical about the movie to give it a try. I think it can stand on its own--which it should. ;)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I also really enjoyed the movie. I wouldn't call it a remake of Mary Poppins either - there are some minor similarities, but a lot more differences, at least in my opinion. I thought that the movie was cute, and definitely fun, and also had some decent morals, which is refreshing. There were a few moments that could have been deleted to make it more family friendly, but overall, I would definitely want to see it again! \:D/
Jasper Dale
OK

Post by Jasper Dale »

i was glad that it didn't turn out having some really inapporpriate scenes. usually, there is always at least one "over the top" scene that prohibits us from letting our nephews and nieces watch when they come over. but this one surprised me, although as you say Catspaw, there were a few scenes which were borderline.

however, i noticed that on FOTF's Plugged In review, they pretty much said the same thing you did and said it was a good fun movie.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

There was one scene that I found most concerning if you were watching with kids, but since it was one scene, it would be easy to skip by somebody who was quite concerned. The part where Colin Firth and the freaky lady were having tea and she kind of misinterpreted his intentions due to his children's antics was a bit much for a kids movie sometimes. :anxious:
fireflygirl_01
Found
Location: just sitting in the hall; waiting for the darkness to consume me

Post by fireflygirl_01 »

Catspaw wrote:There was one scene that I found most concerning if you were watching with kids, but since it was one scene, it would be easy to skip by somebody who was quite concerned. The part where Colin Firth and the freaky lady were having tea and she kind of misinterpreted his intentions due to his children's antics was a bit much for a kids movie sometimes. :anxious:
I completely agree, Catty, darling. that scene was not at all appropriate for young children.
jollyholiday
I'm a teapot

Post by jollyholiday »

We watched the movie a few months ago, the movie is actually based on the Nurse Matilda books written in the late sixties to early seventies. I would say there are some very strong similarities between Nanny McPhee and Mary Poppins.

-Both had definite magical qualities
-Both specialized in difficult children
-Both were despised by the children at first
-Both left their position when the task of changing the children and/or families was accomplished.
-In both stories the father's were overcommitted to their work (for different reasons, but overcommitted nonetheless.
-Both convinced the fathers of the families that they needed to spend more time with their children and treat their children differently.

The movie sets were very interesting (inside the house / the mortuary/ etc... I wonder if the set designers were the same as those who did the A Series of Unfortunate Events movie, because they both have that lush, colorful and complex feel to them.
Carolita
I'm not Gabe
Location: the small fraction of time between normal hectic life and mega hectic college

Post by Carolita »

I loved Nanny McPhee. I love fairy tales and that little boy actor....and Colin Firth.....so....yeah, I laughed the whole way through. Very cute. O:)
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I saw Nanny McPhee as well and also didn't think it was much like Mary Poppins. Mary Poppins is more firmly grounded in reality, from my POV. Nanny McPhee had much more of a fairy tale feeling. I just loved it. I've only seen it once but I think I should like to see it again. :D
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'll watch it with you, JD! \:D/ Yay! In some ways, however, this movie seems more "real" then Mary Poppins...I don't know. There are some similarities and some differenes. I like both movies, so I don't care that much about the analysis. \:D/
jollyholiday
I'm a teapot

Post by jollyholiday »

Pepper Doyle wrote:Mary Poppins is more firmly grounded in reality, from my POV.
Some of the magic in Mary Poppins:

She flies in on her umbrella

She furnishes her room with items that she seemingly endlessly pulls from her carpet bag (coat rack etc...)

She and the children clean their room by standing and snapping their fingers as the toys put themselves away and the bed makes itself.

Mary, Bert and the kids jump into a sidewalk drawing and spend an afternoon dancing with animated penguins.

Mary Bert and the kids visit Mary's Uncle Albert who is stuck on the ceiling because is laughing and they all start sharing jokes with each other and all end up floating up the the ceiling in laughter.

Those are just a few of Mary's magical moments...

I think one of the biggest differences between the two is that Nanny McPhee has a heavier dose of dark comedy and is a darker story in general.
ObiWan Kenobi Girl
Why so serious?
Why so serious?

Post by ObiWan Kenobi Girl »

macnut24 wrote:I saw it! I really liked it. I think that all the kids that they picked did a really great job. Simon and Sebastian were my favorites!

~ Mac

A Mi tambien!! I thought it was cool. It was really weird at the beginning, but then it was cool. I also heard it was supposed to be '' the next Mary Poppins" , it really wasn't though.
Agent3xq
I eat combination locks
I eat combination locks

Post by Agent3xq »

I haven't seen the movie and to be honest I didn't want to see it, but maybe I have a little bit more interest now. :-k
I believe in the place where the mind and the heart unite at faith
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

I watched it with my aunt and uncle, and their two kids (ages 5 and 6). The five-year-old was a little freaked out by the scary music when Nanny McPhee arrives, but the seven-year-old really liked it. I liked it as well, but I won't be watching it over and over.