A Name not a Number

who plays Donovan

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Durbelethwen
Lurker

A Name not a Number

Post by Durbelethwen »

I was listening to this episode for the first time today. Even though I had heard most of the rest of the Blackgaard saga including all of the episodes in the Darkness before Dawn series, I had not heard that one. Anyway, I thought Jason's supervisor, Donavon sounded a lot like Alan Young. Does anyone know if it is the actor? I do not see any reason why the ptbs would not use him, since they have used other actors of regular characters in roles that sound like their characters voices.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I love the AIOSF! \:D/ As you guessed, Alan Young is indeed the actor who played Donovan.
Jacob Isom
I'm not Gabe

Post by Jacob Isom »

Ha! I didn't need to AIOSF to figure out Alan Young played Donovan! Wahoo!
"Providing the Scoop on Adventures in Odyssey, one cone at a time."
http://www.odysseyscoop.com | Personal Site: http://www.jacobisom.org
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I didn't need the AIOSF to figure that out either, but I sounded more official with a source to back me up, didn't I? ;)
AioMan
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: The Imagination Station, Whit's End, Mcallister Park, Odyssey, Ohio, United States, North America

Post by AioMan »

Did Ed Walker play Filby?
EDIT: Never mind. Look here: http://aiosf.com/characters_index.php?alpha=F
Whit: The Best is yet to come. (from "A Prayer for George Barclay" and "Gone.....")

Eugene: Impossible! Prepositions are not words that I end sentences with! (from "Poor Loser")

Arthur Dent: Operation: Thinktank will enslave the human race. Would you like a muffin? (from "Box of Miracles")
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

I heard these episodes the 1st time they came on in 1994. I was like why is Jack allen playing Donavan ? It is so obvious.
Allan Young was in an old movie The Time Machine. He played Filby, which is where that character got his name. In the episodes, Filby was played by Walker Edminston (Tom Riley,Bart.)
Liz_Horton
Animatronic

Post by Liz_Horton »

I was listening to A Name not a Number the other day.. and the first time i herd it i knew it was Jack who played Donavon.
Lea
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Liz_Horton wrote:I was listening to A Name not a Number the other day.. and the first time i herd it i knew it was Jack who played Donavon.
Lea
Same here.
AioMan
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: The Imagination Station, Whit's End, Mcallister Park, Odyssey, Ohio, United States, North America

Post by AioMan »

Laurie wrote:
Liz_Horton wrote:I was listening to A Name not a Number the other day.. and the first time i herd it i knew it was Jack who played Donavon.
Lea
Same here.
Ditto
Whit: The Best is yet to come. (from "A Prayer for George Barclay" and "Gone.....")

Eugene: Impossible! Prepositions are not words that I end sentences with! (from "Poor Loser")

Arthur Dent: Operation: Thinktank will enslave the human race. Would you like a muffin? (from "Box of Miracles")
Agent3xq
I eat combination locks
I eat combination locks

Post by Agent3xq »

Yeah, I had no problem in figuring out it was Alan Young
Jasper Dale
OK

Post by Jasper Dale »

am i wrong, but didn't "donovan" appear before jack allen ever came to odyssey? i know it was around that time, but i think that's the first time alan young was on odyssey???

:-k
Agent3xq
I eat combination locks
I eat combination locks

Post by Agent3xq »

No, Jack Allen is introduced in the album before The Changing of Times right after Whit leaves for the Middle East.
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

Jack Allen came on in September 1994. ANNAN came on in November.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

agent3xq wrote:No, Jack Allen is introduced in the album before The Changing of Times right after Whit leaves for the Middle East.
Also known as Wish You Were Here. Jack Allen made his first appearance in the Gone episode.
LiviNoel
I've been here a bit

Post by LiviNoel »

Y'all are simply true Odyssey fans. Donovan may seem rather obvious as Jack Allen, but so many of the actors are reused for other characters. I think your ears have been fine tuned so that it seems overly obvious when actors with distinct voices like Alan Young's are used. ;) Power to you!