Of All People - They Kept Liz Horton!

Why?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Jacob Isom
I'm not Gabe

Of All People - They Kept Liz Horton!

Post by Jacob Isom »

I've been listening to "Virtual Realities" and "In Your Wildest Dreams" and I was reminded of how much of a brat Liz Horton used to be. After all the horrible things she did and the poor example she set for listeners, why did AIO keep her? I think it's a blow to the respect of authority. Liz is suddenly a nice, sweet girl? AIO didn't explain how that happened. She just became nice.
"Providing the Scoop on Adventures in Odyssey, one cone at a time."
http://www.odysseyscoop.com | Personal Site: http://www.jacobisom.org
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

you knopw I forgot that she was mean I have no clue

but i wish someone did
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I don't remember how Liz suddenly became nice, but I do remember that she used to be a real brat.
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

Yeah, I used to really dislike Liz since she was so mean and bossy, and they never explained how she became nice. However, since her and Mandy are pretty much the only ones from the older kids in Odyssey (Sarah, Jared, Alex, etc.), I'm glad she's still in Odyssey. I'd probably rather have someone else instead of her, but I'd rather hear Liz than no one from the older kids.
Last edited by H Tide on Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Applesauce
I'm memorable

Post by Applesauce »

Liz's change was very sudden! I'm fine with AIO wanting to add immature characters for the purpose of maturing them over the years, but Liz's change was so drastic with no explanation of what caused the change! Liz is a great character now, and I'm very glad she's still around. I just wish her "transformation" period had been better planned.
Smushed and Spicy! \:D/

I really need to change my avatar...
Liz_Horton
Animatronic

Post by Liz_Horton »

Liz has been my favorite character even when she was a brat... Her roughnes was kinda cool ya know....but anyways I'm glad they kept me..
LEa
Jacob Isom
I'm not Gabe

Post by Jacob Isom »

I'm glad you're sticking around Liz, even though you were a brat in the past! God musta changed your heart. :)

Anyway, I think they should bring back Jared (AGAIN). I don't know why they couldn't just keep him on the show after the Novacom Saga... he was a good actor and entertaining... and somewhat of a real personality.
"Providing the Scoop on Adventures in Odyssey, one cone at a time."
http://www.odysseyscoop.com | Personal Site: http://www.jacobisom.org
Liz_Horton
Animatronic

Post by Liz_Horton »

JacobIsom wrote:I'm glad you're sticking around Liz, even though you were a brat in the past! God musta changed your heart. :)

Anyway, I think they should bring back Jared (AGAIN). I don't know why they couldn't just keep him on the show after the Novacom Saga... he was a good actor and entertaining... and somewhat of a real personality.
yeha he did plus i got new friends... um anyways i wish Jared was still in town too. and it would be cool to see what happened to Lucy after al theses years.
Lea
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

O come on how can you not like Liz Horton ? :D

I do know how you feel. I did not like Liz at the beginning, after she was so mean to Connie that one episode. but she has grown up and become nice and sweet and I like her now and am glad she is still on.
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

The writers probably changed Liz because the listeners disliked her so much. The writers probably didn't want to have to lose the character and actress.
I personally thought the "old" Liz was great. It was was kinda refreshing to hear a genuinly nasty, sarcastic character on the show ("Oh great! A puke-green jacket! It'll go great with my tacky yellow purse!"). I don't mind that's she's nicer now, just so long as she still retains some of her attitude.
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

They need a episode talking about liz's change.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Bigbird9339 wrote:They need a episode talking about liz's change.
Great idea!! :D
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

It's not hard for me to believe that a person would be drastically different from who they were as a middle-schooler/pre teen, but I agree, it was VERY sudden. I've never liked her either. But now she's alright.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Liz_Horton
Animatronic

Post by Liz_Horton »

Ferder wrote:The writers probably changed Liz because the listeners disliked her so much. The writers probably didn't want to have to lose the character and actress.
I personally thought the "old" Liz was great. It was was kinda refreshing to hear a genuinly nasty, sarcastic character on the show ("Oh great! A puke-green jacket! It'll go great with my tacky yellow purse!"). I don't mind that's she's nicer now, just so long as she still retains some of her attitude.
:cheerleader: agrees!
Lea
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

JacobIsom wrote:I've been listening to "Virtual Realities" and "In Your Wildest Dreams" and I was reminded of how much of a brat Liz Horton used to be. After all the horrible things she did and the poor example she set for listeners, why did AIO keep her? I think it's a blow to the respect of authority. Liz is suddenly a nice, sweet girl? AIO didn't explain how that happened. She just became nice.
In the earlier shows, Liz didn't even have a last name. I think she was basically introduced to be the bratty character, although she did learn some lessons along the way. Somewhere along the line, the writers apparently realized that she was staying for a long time and realized that they'd better clean up her act because so many people didn't like her "as is." They also gave her a last name and eventually a whole family. They didn't have plans to give Liz a story arc about her transformation to "nice" so she just changed suddenly in "For Trying Out Loud." It is worth pointing out though that Liz was actually not heard on the show for quite some time during the Novacom Saga so technically she could have been changing "off the air."