AWANA

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
The Artful Dodger
Still standing tall

Post by The Artful Dodger »

I just got back from AWANA Camp this week, it was literally life changing. A totally awesome experience. \:D/ I'm going into my first year of Varsity, and I've been doing it ever since cubbies. :D

Didn't we have some fun, though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said, 'goodbye.' And you were like, 'no, wait.' And then I was all, 'we pretended we were going to murder you.' That was great...
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

I liked Awana especially the Awana Games/Olympics. I never did the old program(Grey uniforms) but I looked through the old handbooks and I think, if I had a choice, that Awana should switch back to the oldies. :-s
Applesauce
I'm memorable

Post by Applesauce »

I did AWANA for three years (4th-6th grade), then I got too old (the church I did it at doesn't go up to the Jr. Varsity/Varsity age). In those three years, though, I finished four of the books!
Smushed and Spicy! \:D/

I really need to change my avatar...
The Artful Dodger
Still standing tall

Bigbird9339 wrote:I liked Awana especially the Awana Games/Olympics. I never did the old program(Grey uniforms) but I looked through the old handbooks and I think, if I had a choice, that Awana should switch back to the oldies. :-s
I agree. I dont like the new program.

Didn't we have some fun, though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said, 'goodbye.' And you were like, 'no, wait.' And then I was all, 'we pretended we were going to murder you.' That was great...
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Has anyone heard about Awana's decision to stop the Scholarship Camp program?
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

Where did you here that?!! :-s
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I was in Awana's from Cubbies through JVs, and I loved it! My parents were both leaders (if I remember correctly, I believe my mom was gray shirts director at one point). I loved Game Time, and memorizing verses, and Bible Quizzing. We used to stay afterwards and restack the chairs in the sanctuary (where the games were), and we always picked up kids to take to Awana, so I was pretty immersed in it.

We switched churches when I got into high school, though, so I never got higher than JVs. I do miss it, though I'm glad I was around for Gray Shirts and not T & T.
Conniepaw
Smile for the camera

Post by Conniepaw »

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Bigbird9339 wrote:I liked Awana especially the Awana Games/Olympics. I never did the old program(Grey uniforms) but I looked through the old handbooks and I think, if I had a choice, that Awana should switch back to the oldies. :-s
I agree. I dont like the new program.
i get agravate when i see them with thei new song and new shirts...when i was in 6th grade thewy changed to t and t and i didnt work very hard at it because i thought it was pretty cheesy...
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I haven't seen/heard about the new program because we haven't done it in so long. And what's this about stopping the camp?
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
The Artful Dodger
Still standing tall

Frank wrote:Has anyone heard about Awana's decision to stop the Scholarship Camp program?
yes :cry:
but the camp that I go to is doing camp next year with all of the same people. Though it wont be AWANA camp... ah well.

capt. skippy
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by capt. skippy »

i really liked AWANA. but, after it changed to Truth and Training i kinda quit. it wasn't as fun.
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Frank wrote:Has anyone heard about Awana's decision to stop the Scholarship Camp program?
but the camp that I go to is doing camp next year with all of the same people. Though it wont be AWANA camp... ah well.
Yah, our camp is doing the same thing. (Wait...we aren't going to the same camp, by any chance, are we? :anxious:)
Pepper Doyle wrote:I haven't seen/heard about the new program because we haven't done it in so long. And what's this about stopping the camp?
They made the announcement this past spring/early summer...as of this summer, the Awana Scholarship Camp program won't be designed for the Awana missionaries to organize and run. I don't know all the reasons why, but I do know that it was a terribly hard decision for the Awana Headquarters staff to make, and I know that God was with them when they made the decision...who knows what the future will bring?
The Artful Dodger
Still standing tall

Frank wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
Yah, our camp is doing the same thing. (Wait...we aren't going to the same camp, by any chance, are we? :anxious:)
hmm... :-k I not sure that would be entirely possible... dont you live in Europe?

JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

No she's from California, but is visiting Europe with relatives for a month.
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
The Artful Dodger
Still standing tall

oh, well unless she comes to the other side of the US, I doubt we go to the same camp ;)

Zelda Jacobs
I'm not Gabe

Post by Zelda Jacobs »

I started in cubbies and ended when I got the Timothy award. I got different rewards for all the special events. I got a 1st place trophy for the grand prix, 4th place for Awana games, and 100% mupile choice for the Awana quizzing. I enjoyed Awana until they switched from Chums and Guards to Truth and Training. I think the old series was way better then the new.
Agent3xq
I eat combination locks
I eat combination locks

Post by Agent3xq »

I was in AWANA!!!!!! and it was a lot of fun!!! but then one of the teachers allowed some kid to give another kid a swirly and my parents did like that so I didn't get to go anymore. Wow that was like 10 years ago!
I believe in the place where the mind and the heart unite at faith
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

I was in AWANA through Cubbies to 6th grade. But my church doesn't do do the Jr.High and Sr.High AWANA. :boohoo:
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
Trillspots
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Trillspots »

I find it interesting how all of you seem to like the AWANA program - I went for a year, in 5th grade, and found it to be a frustrating, inaffective program.

I did all of the 'required' things, memorized the verses, did the extra activities - and asked, since I've never liked the rough group games they played there, if I could be excluded from that activity. They told me no.

I've never gotten along with peers - and, was quickly shunned and teased for my incompetance at the games. The kids were hurful, and the leaders were not encouraging, sympathetic, or understanding in the least. I continued going - and my Mother even talked to them, about allowing me to skip out on the games...and they continued forcing me to participate. Then I realized, the penalty for not memorizing verses, was having to stay in during game time...so, suddenly, in the course of a week - I couldn't remember any of the verses, I did no extra activities - never answered the questions asked of me. Attempting desperately to get out of game time - it worked, for one week, until I consulted my Mother again, and she decided that those weren't the adult influences she wanted me around.

But really, that isn't the only thing that concerned me - I'm not sure, if I possibly had a bad experience, and not all AWANA programs are like this; I'm sure some leaders would be a bit more understanding, but one of the things that really struck me as odd was the penalty for not memorizing verses. I thought, this program was supposed to reach out to kids - to help them know christ, and strengthen their relationship with the Lord; but I know first hand, that a few of the non-christian kids going, didn't want to go anymore since they were practically having these verses shoved down their throats. They weren't introduced to it in an appropriate way, and it's not the leaders job to discipline other people's children.

Anyway, for a school project the next year - I wrote a letter to the AWANA headquarters, and put together a plan for a new program that would hopefully be more helpful in growing kids. Not to say, that for some kids AWANA isn't a good option; but it isn't accomodating for, 1. New Christians, 2. Non-Believers, 3. People that struggle with memorization.

Just some thoughts on the subject.

-Trill
Pc Pro
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Pc Pro »

never heard on it