I lost my voice!

Has this ever happened to you?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Arwen
No way I broke the window

I lost my voice!

Post by Arwen »

I woke up yesterday morning and had a bit of a hoarse voice. Throughout the day, I found that I couldn't raise the pitch of my voice above an F or a G. Now, this morning, I can barely speak at all besides a low rumble or a whisper. I can't scream or sing. To make matters worse, I'm not even home. I'm here in Baltimore, MD, at a week long Convention, where there's a bunch of people I haven't seen in a while and would like to greet!

It's weird because I couldn't imagine not being able to speak. It just feels so odd!

This ever happened to you? How long did it last, and what do you recommend?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I don't think I've ever lost my voice for very long, although my voice has been known to give out on me when I first wake up. My sister has lost her voice for a day or so before though.
...I hate marquees.
Aelwyn
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Aelwyn »

What do I reccomenn? :-k Drink lots of water. If you have a sore/scratchy throat, suck on fruit breezers. They really help soothe your throat, and they taste better than cough drops. :)
gimp80995

Post by gimp80995 »

Drink tons of water and fruit juices, and try to avoid whispering (it actually can irritate your throat more than trying to talk does). When I loose my voice it typically goes out for 2-5 days at a time.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I teach swimming lessons at a pool, and it's really easy to lose one's voice if you're not used to shouting for 5 hours straight. Once, when I already had a sore throat, I damaged my vocal chords so severely that I couldn't speak for nearly a week afterwards. :(
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
mr. mellow
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by mr. mellow »

well I would try looking under the couch cause last time I lost my voice thats where I found it. :anxious:
Image [img]
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Oh Mellow, you really are too much. :lol:

I've never lost my voice, though I picked up enough of a cold to sound pretty bad right now. :( I hope that you can talk normally again soon, Arwen! :)
Country Girl
Classic

Post by Country Girl »

much to everyone who knows me's great sorrow, I've never totally lost my voice.
what can I say?
gimp80995

Post by gimp80995 »

mr. mellow wrote:well I would try looking under the couch cause last time I lost my voice thats where I found it. :anxious:
Hmmm.......I found mine under the bed *shrugs* :)

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Hope
You like me! You really like me!
You like me! You really like me!

Post by Hope »

i hate when i loose my voice... i only loose it when i have a really bad cold or if i had been screaming the day before... i agree with gimp. drink a lot of water
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I lost my voice on the fourth day of camp! Boy that was bad. I never fully got it back, because I was always yelling, singing, shouting, etc. I think it was because I licked a crow feather.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Gabriel Dragsack
Found

Post by Gabriel Dragsack »

I've lost my voice, it's communicating with people when no one can hear you! Thankfully my friends knew exactly what I wanted with me needing to tell them. :angel3:
:laughat: :laughat: :laughat: :laughat: :laughat:
jasodia
I'm not Gabe

Post by jasodia »

I've lost my voice like completely only once. I found that you just kinda have to wait for it to come back. Like, hot tea and juice and stuff helped it not to hurt, though.

my best friend is pink jeans!
"I don't pretend to be Captain Weird. I just am."
-Johnny Depp
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

My voice got really really messed up one time, when I was really sick. (It was actually the week I opened the NSP, ironically enough)
Aelwyn
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Aelwyn »

I don't think I would've been very surprised if I had lost my voice last week when I was staffing at camp. Especially after refereeing Line Soccer. I had to call out numbers, and a few times they were like, "You need to talk louder!" And I was thinking, "I can't yell any louder!" I honestly can't yell if I don't have a reason. :anxious: And my brothers weren't bothering me. ;) j/k :p