heck, Mich., Gears Up for 6-6-06

Give me a break!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Jennifer Doyle
An original

heck, Mich., Gears Up for 6-6-06

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,198104,00.html
heck, Mich. — They're planning a hot time Tuesday in heck.

Tuesday bears the once-in-a-millennium date of 6-6-06, or, in brief, 666 — a number that, according to the Bible's Book of Revelations, signifies the devil.

And there's not a snowball's chance in heck that the day will go unnoticed in the unincorporated hamlet 60 miles west of Detroit.

Nobody is more fired up than John Colone, the town's self-styled mayor and owner of a souvenir shop.

"I've got `666' T-shirts and mugs. I'm only ordering 666 [of the items] so once they're gone, that's it," said Colone, also known as Odum Plenty. "Everyone who comes will get a letter of authenticity saying you've celebrated June 6, 2006, in heck."

Most of Colone's wares will sell for $6.66, including deeds to one square inch of heck. Live entertainment and a costume contest are planned. The Gates of heck should be installed at a children's play area in time for the festivities.

"They're 8 feet tall and 5 foot wide and each gate looks like flames, and when they're closed, it's a devil's head," Colone told The Detroit News for a Saturday story.

Mike "Smitty" Hickey, owner of the Dam Site Inn, wasn't sure what kind of clientele would show up Tuesday.

"We're all about having fun here. I don't think we're going to get the cult crowd, the devil worshippers or anything like that," said Hickey, whose bar's signature concoction is the Bloody Devil, a variant of the Bloody Mary.

Colone, meanwhile, has been in touch with radio stations as far away as San Diego and Seattle that are raffling off trips to heck in honor of 6-6-6.

The 666 revelry is just the latest chapter in the town's storied history of publicity stunts, said Jason LeTeff, one of its 72 year-round residents — or, as Colone calls them, Hellions or heck-billies. But LeTeff wasn't particularly enthused.

"Now, here I am living in heck, taking my kids to church and trying to teach them the right things and the town where we live is having a 6-6-6 party," he said.

According to the town's semiofficial Web site, there are two leading theories about how heck got its name.

The first holds that a pair of German travelers stepped out of a stagecoach one sunny afternoon in the 1830s, and one said to the other, "So schoene heck" — roughly translated as, "So bright and beautiful." Their comments were overheard by some locals and the name stuck.

The second holds that George Reeves was asked after Michigan gained statehood what he thought the town he helped settle should be called, and reportedly replied, "I don't care, you can name it heck if you want to." The name became official on Oct. 13, 1841.
Don't really get what this huge deal about 6/06/06 is. Seriously, it's just a date. I don't think anything special or scary is going to happen. "The Omen" that creepy stupid movie about some kid that's the devil is coming out . . . but other than that. Why are people freaking out? :P
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

:hilarious: Whether or not it's just a date, I'm still really relieved not to be babysitting Tuesday. :anxious:
WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

I think I can understand where you're coming from, Rachael :hilarious:
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:27 AM): That long?!
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:31 AM): IT WAS EONS AGO!
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:33 AM): *falls over*
WINDSHEAR (9/13/2008 10:54:46 AM): I've already fallen over and died :noway:
WINDSHEAR (9/13/2008 10:54:47 AM): I beat you. :neener:
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

now if it were the date 6 / 6/ 6 (as in 6.....not 1006 or 2006 or even 3006) I could possibly see this. I think making a huge deal like this for a date that will highly likely pass without anything happening is pretty stupid.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

gimp80995 wrote:now if it were the date 6 / 6/ 6 (as in 6.....not 1006 or 2006 or even 3006) I could possibly see this. I think making a huge deal like this for a date that will highly likely pass without anything happening is pretty stupid.

Peace Out

-Gimp
nothing is likely to happen, but it's still a freaky date \:D/
ajamj
Older Than Dirt
Older Than Dirt

Post by ajamj »

gimp80995 wrote:now if it were the date 6 / 6/ 6 (as in 6.....not 1006 or 2006 or even 3006) I could possibly see this. I think making a huge deal like this for a date that will highly likely pass without anything happening is pretty stupid.

Peace Out

-Gimp
That is what I have been telling everyone.
WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

who expects anything to happen? :-k
Arwen

Post by Arwen »

Oh man, I died trying to read that aloud to my parents. That's funny.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Kenric
If posts were pigs...

Post by Kenric »

WINDSHEAR wrote:who expects anything to happen? :-k
A lot of people. I believe there was a news story about this woman who induced her labor so she wouldn't give birth to "the devil's spawn" on 06.06.06. I don't think it's a huge deal and it will just blow over.
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Kenric wrote:
WINDSHEAR wrote:who expects anything to happen? :-k
A lot of people. I believe there was a news story about this woman who induced her labor so she wouldn't give birth to "the devil's spawn" on 06.06.06. I don't think it's a huge deal and it will just blow over.
Hahahaha!

I dunno. If 666 is the mark of the devil, then "the mark" would only really make sense if it was his day of birth...I mean, it's not like it's gonna be burned into the guys hand. Overall, though, I think it's sorta cool.

The BC
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

My friends birthday is that day.. she will be 26.

I don't think very many people truly expect anything to happen--it is just an excuse to have a party. I know of at least 4 parties that were thrown last night to celebrate 6/6/6 and people were told to dress up like demons.

And that movie is a remake of the orignal from the 70s or 80s. I think peole just saw a commercial opportunity to remake and release it on 6/6/6 since the boy is marked with that number. As is selling "lots" of heck...... :-s
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

it scares me
buyt i will pray :pray: :pray: :pray:
Mr Sarcastic Cow Man
I'm memorable

Post by Mr Sarcastic Cow Man »

I expect something to happen; I'm turning 16 on that day! \:D/
Bare feet pwn. ~ Lucy
Iverkid
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Iverkid »

That is pretty funny reading it.

"Everyone who comes will get a letter of authenticity saying you've celebrated June 6, 2006, in heck."

That is so funny.

Iverkid
Pray for Sri Lanka.
gimp80995

Post by gimp80995 »

mr.whit wrote:it scares me
The only part of this that scares me is that everyone is convinced that tomorrow will be an "evil" day because of the date, yet they are celebrating it. Something just doesn't add up there.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

gimp80995 wrote:
mr.whit wrote:it scares me
The only part of this that scares me is that everyone is convinced that tomorrow will be an "evil" day because of the date, yet they are celebrating it. Something just doesn't add up there.

Peace Out

-Gimp
D I T T O, Gimp.

I mean, it's just a date, what are they expecting to happen? As I recall, Jan. 1, 2000 was a big deal too, what happened? Notten. Right?

But it is cool that some people have B-Days on that date... :anxious:

Lucy
don't forget the rain.
Trinarius
If posts were pigs...

Post by Trinarius »

Jessicado wrote:And that movie is a remake of the orignal from the 70s or 80s. I think peole just saw a commercial opportunity to remake and release it on 6/6/6 since the boy is marked with that number. As is selling "lots" of heck...... :-s
Yeah, I heard it's a faithful re-make of the classic horror movie The Omen. I've actually seen some of the older versions - they're classic thrillers but kind of gross. ;) The new version looks rather interesting, although I would definitely not recommend any of these movies to young kids.
-Josh

Trinarius is back. Kind of.
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

The date isn't 6/6/6, it's 6/6/2006. If something was going to happen, why didn't it happen at 6/6/1906? Nothing will happen. Though, it is a creepy date.
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by the_newfie_haystack »

Iverkid wrote:That is pretty funny reading it.

"Everyone who comes will get a letter of authenticity saying you've celebrated June 6, 2006, in heck."

That is so funny.

Iverkid
That sent me rolling! :rofl2:

Haystack
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." -- E. E. Cummings
Larry The Pickle
If posts were pigs...
Location: An uncharted Island, thought to exist only in myth.

Post by Larry The Pickle »

Shad Lexer wrote:The date isn't 6/6/6, it's 6/6/2006. If something was going to happen, why didn't it happen at 6/6/1906?
Actually it would have happened at June 6, 6.

That is pretty funny and sad at the same time.
Evolution is a faith, not a science!