What did you LEARN today?

post a random fact you learned...

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

Running four miles + not stretching that well = Much pain next morning. And I still have to go run today.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

COWBOY OF TEXAS wrote:I learned that veins only take blood to the heart. \:D/

-Cowboy
What did you think they did? It gets really weird with the pulmonary vein and artery, because the pulmonary vein carries oxygenated (red) blood to the heart, and the pulmonary artery carries deoxygenated (purple) blood away from the heart. It took my professor about three times to explain it before I got it.
EUCC
Someone's favorite

Post by EUCC »

Barely Is wrote:Running four miles + not stretching that well = Much pain next morning. And I still have to go run today.
for sure. hope today's run goes better.

Today I learned that running during snow showers is actually quite pleasant. last time i ran in a blizzard it wasn't quite as fun.
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

I believe I have learned the following rule applies when talking to a person's parents........

When you get on the phone and want to have a lengthy conversation with your folks, they're off the phone in less than 10 minutes............but when you expect a quick 10 minute "how are things" exchange, then they talk for almost an hour.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Aelwyn

Post by Aelwyn »

I learned that taking pictures in the rain can be very cold. And that if you're taking pictures in the rain on a playground, ypur hands can get very cold from holding on to some monkey bars. (Especially if water is dripping down your wrist!)
And yes, I learned that from experience. :anxious:
EUCC
Someone's favorite

Post by EUCC »

I learned that it is not only difficult, but dangerous to run in a snow storm when the roads and sidewalks are very much not cleared.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

I learned that barely glancing over your textbook before taking your final doesn't necessarily mean you'll do badly...

*The proud owner of a 103 on her Spanish finals*
Sunday
Popsicle kid

Post by Sunday »

I learned not to have a friendly argument with my father in front of people. :shame:
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Oh... not good! :-( Yeah, I learned the hard way not to argue with authority...
Linne

Post by Linne »

It is good to pretend you're sick on days when you have track practice indoors....otherwise you die because you were forced to run around the gym by means of the four staircases. :( Yeah...I'm offically dead tired now. \:D/
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Brace yourselves.....this is very profound :yes:

In an IM convo with a fairly good friend of mine, I discovered that despite some of the really hard times I've had to go through
  • I'm not the only one who has hard times to go through
    Other people actually go through more stuff than I could imagine going through.
I've gotten comfortable talking with this friend when I feel overwhelmed with my life's problems. Last night on IM they let me in on quite a bit of info from their life:
  • loosing his mother, who was the closest family to him
    he and his wife have lost over 10 children
    his wife and him got seperated, nearly divoriced (but thankfully they worked everything out and were able to get back together)
    Nearly lost his job
    Almost lost his salvation
And aside from the 10 children, that's all happened in the past year. Kinda makes everything I thought was a "major problem" seem really insignificant. I was actually in tears talking to them because I felt so guilty that I'm talking to them about issues in my life, and here they have all this going on yet last night was the first time I had heard about it.

So to get to the point, I learned that no matter how bad I think things are going for me, there is always someone somewhere (regardless of if I know them or not) who has things just as bad, if not worse than I do.
jasodia
I'm not Gabe

Post by jasodia »

I learned that the wall of China is...wait...I think....2,400,000 miles long. But I might be remembering wrong. Or my math book might be wrong. Or... :-# sorry!

my best friend is pink jeans!
"I don't pretend to be Captain Weird. I just am."
-Johnny Depp
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

I learned that Americans are way more naive than I had previously assumed.....

I called a friend in Canada collect, and today was getting things together to send them the money for the charges.....

Maybe it was my mistake from what I learned living a mile from the Canada / States boarder for so long......but I went to make out a money order for the amount of charges in CAD (something I know I've done in the past with no problems)........the girl making out the money order had no clue how to do it, so I ended up just doing a quick conversion in my head and got the money order for USD.

Then I get to the post office........I nearly died laughing there.......I gave the guy the envalope, addressed to the city, province, postal code AND the "Canada"......he looked at his co-worker and asked "which state is abriviated 'QC'?".........his co-worker was trying as hard as I was to not laugh in front of him and told him to finish reading the ENTIRE address.

I'll be laughing about his question about the abrivation QC for quite a while :p

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Linne

Post by Linne »

Um....Goodwill has mostly old lady type pants that fit weird...not good when you're desperately trying to find cheap nice pants for the very next day. :anxious:
EUCC
Someone's favorite

Post by EUCC »

Goodwill has some good deals on children's books which is a collection I'm trying to build up these days....

Last night I learned that building a snowman and then kickboxing him to death is a great stress reliever!
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

...that books can be a great friend when you're bored.

...that debating with your science teacher isn't advisable if he believes in evolution.
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
EUCC
Someone's favorite

Post by EUCC »

that when your loser roommate threatens to throw a boot at your face, you should take her seriously....I didn't and now I got a black eye. The loser.
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

Rachael wrote:
COWBOY OF TEXAS wrote:I learned that veins only take blood to the heart. \:D/

-Cowboy
What did you think they did? It gets really weird with the pulmonary vein and artery, because the pulmonary vein carries oxygenated (red) blood to the heart, and the pulmonary artery carries deoxygenated (purple) blood away from the heart. It took my professor about three times to explain it before I got it.
I said that veins only take blood to the heart, I didn't know the difference between veins and vessels before that day. ;) And...
I didn't feel like writing a long explanation like you just did. ;)

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

I learned that even if your mom is 18 years older than you, if the two of you dye her hair to cover up the gray people can and will mistake you for twins. Even if you don't have the matching red/blue Dunkin' Donuts Coffee mugs. :-D
EUCC
Someone's favorite

Post by EUCC »

I learned that fallafel is just as tasty the 2nd day warmed up!