CCM - Right or Wrong?

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Flyah
Popsicle kid

CCM - Right or Wrong?

Post by Flyah »

Should Christians be listening to Christian Contemporary Music? Better yet, Christian rock? If rock and roll is the music of rebellion, doesn't it make sense that Christian rock is music of rebellion as well?

Do you listen to it or not? Would you consider yourself an expert on music? Should believers be like the world in this way?

Thoughts appreciated - in a good spirit. I realize this may be a touchy subject....
Eugene Blackgaard
Amadeo killed me!

Post by Eugene Blackgaard »

I've long debated on this subject, but I'll let a few people give thier opinionns and then give mine.
HarlowRoxMySox
Smile for the camera

Post by HarlowRoxMySox »

I'm all about Christian Contemporary. I don't think it matters the genre of your music, all that matters is what the song is saying. I also listen to "Barlow Girl", which is Christian Rock. It's all praising God. Why would God care what the music sounds like as long as it's posative and giving him the glory? Besides, it's also a great way to get the Christian ideas out there. An unbeliever is a lot more likely to listen to contemporary music than hymns after all, if we can get the good news out there, what does it matter the genre? O:)
Do any of YOU know how to make hand shadows?

Kathrine Doyle is my dorky little sister... JK... kinda ^o^
My awsome Avatar & Sig were illustrated by a friend named Navi!
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

HarlowRoxMySox wrote:I don't think it matters the genre of your music, all that matters is what the song is saying. I also listen to "Barlow Girl", which is Christian Rock. It's all praising God. Why would God care what the music sounds like as long as it's posative and giving him the glory? Besides, it's also a great way to get the Christian ideas out there. An unbeliever is a lot more likely to listen to contemporary music than hymns after all, if we can get the good news out there, what does it matter the genre? O:)
Good points.

It's the whole balance of being in the world yet not being of it. While Christ commands us to stand out as a follower of Christ, He didn't say go shove it in people's faces. Presenting our faith through ways in which non-believers can relate to is part of evangalism.

I believe God ultimately looks at the heart of the song, its writer, and the one singing it. I could just as well be singing a hymn and yet be completely distracted within . . . my thoughts may be on things elsewhere. The song may not seem like an act of "rebellion" towards God, but if I am merely singing the words and not focusing my attentions on Him, what difference does it make?

If a song turns a person's heart toward God, I don't have any problem with a Christian listening to it.

Last edited by Trent DeWhite on Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anne
OK

Post by Anne »

One has to remember that the music of hymns used to be "modern music."
God created music, and I don't believe that a form of music (just the music, not the lyrics) can be evil. He said to "make a joyful noise" and didn't put any restrictions on it. A person can worship God with any form of music.
However, I think it's important to respect people's individual views on this. If a person truly believes rock n' roll is evil, then they shouldn't listen to it and others shouldn't try to force them. In my mind this isn't a moral issue, but a personal issue. As a body of believers we should respect other people's choices on how they worship God.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I thought threads like this were for the Town Hall. ](*,)
As a musician, I find music to be a wonderful gift from God. :)
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

I say it's "OK" to listen to CCM, but I can see why people against it feel the way they do.

I have seen where friends of mine who would never consider going to church or youth group have listened to stations like KLOVE and learned the songs and you could just see something "different" about them when they'd sing along........so I do believe CCM can reach people for Christ.

For a while I found myself defending Christian Rock on that basis......that it has the same beat that non-Christians are use to, therefore, they are more likely to listen to it and possibly (hopefully) be saved.......

However, I've been on road trips before and in trying to find a station to listen to come across secular rock.......since it "had the same beat" as the Christian Rock I was use to listening to, I found myself just leaving it (you get desperate for non-staticy music when drivng across parts of Montana and Wyoming)......Some of the songs were pretty decent.......a few even had some good messages........but the point remains the same beat that defenders of Christian Rock use to claim it's good, can be (note: I said CAN BE, not IS) a downfall for Christians who come across a secular rock station.

While I see no harm in the few minutes that station was playing in my car, I also have to say that if it hadn't been the beat I was use to I probably wouldn't have stopped on that station.

Like I said, I am not against CCM (can't honestly be when I uaully prefer listening to it)...........but I no longer try to defend it by what it can do for the non-Christians, because I've seen that beat cause me to listen to stuff I normally wouldn't listen to. I do think it can be a way of witnessing to people, just probably not the best way.

Nowadays the "find a radio station" issue isn't a problem as I have enough AIO tapes to cover pretty much any length I can drive (at least one day's worth, then repeat the next day and each following day 'til I reach my destination).

Anyway just my 5 cents worth. ;)

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Me
An original

Post by Me »

I personally believe that the music is not inherently good or bad. It is the lyrics and presentation of the song which determines its correctness. The style of the music doesn't matter to me (pun not intended). I listen to everything from classical to screamo. So long as the lyrics are decent, for me at least, there is nothing wrong with it.
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

Chandler wrote:I thought threads like this were for the Town Hall. ](*,)
As a musician, I find music to be a wonderful gift from God. :)
I agree...
Eugene Blackgaard
Amadeo killed me!

Me wrote:I personally believe that the music is not inherently good or bad. It is the lyrics and presentation of the song which determines its correctness. The style of the music doesn't matter to me (pun not intended). I listen to everything from classical to screamo. So long as the lyrics are decent, for me at least, there is nothing wrong with it.
My stance as well.
Flyah
Popsicle kid

Post by Flyah »

If you believe that music is neutral, you must also believe that all art forms are amoral. Notes are the building blocks of music and in themselves are neutral. If I played a chord, you wouldn't know if it was good or evil, but I can put chords together and make good or evil music.

In the same way I can take clay (neutral) and sculpt something good or evil. I can take letters (neutral) and write something good or evil. I can take paint (neutral) and paint something good or evil. We don't treat music this way because our preference is king.

What about Christian thrash? Christian punk? Christian rap? Christian heavy metal? Are there any lines to be drawn?

Lyrics are not the only part of music. There is the music itself, the presentation and the presenter that all must be evaluated.

I think there are some faulty arguments in this thread, but beacuse this is such a sensitive issue, let me leave it at that....
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Flyah wrote:
Lyrics are not the only part of music. There is the music itself, the presentation and the presenter that all must be evaluated.
I agree with you. I think God does care about the music itself. There are guidlines in the Bible for music. I really enjoyed Frank Garlock's video presentation about this subject. Both the heavy beat and the sensuous sounding voices of many singers are not backed up by Scripture.
Our family doesn't listened to CCM. My dad used to be a rock'n'roller before he became a Christian, and he has told us about his struggles with that kind of music. We listen to hymns, classical, and other gentle type music. :-({|=

Anyway, those are my convictions on the subject.
StupendousMan
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by StupendousMan »

I'll listen to most any type other than "scream through the whole song" music. This to me isn't music it's just like ripping out your vocal chourds :P
Larry The Pickle
If posts were pigs...
Location: An uncharted Island, thought to exist only in myth.

Post by Larry The Pickle »

Flyah wrote:Should Christians be listening to Christian Contemporary Music? Better yet, Christian rock? If rock and roll is the music of rebellion, doesn't it make sense that Christian rock is music of rebellion as well?

Do you listen to it or not? Would you consider yourself an expert on music? Should believers be like the world in this way?

Thoughts appreciated - in a good spirit. I realize this may be a touchy subject....
What's wrong with CCM?! :-s What would we listen to other than that? Secular music? Hymns?! *shudders at the thought* Anyways, I like christian contemperary, and even more than that christian rap and rock, YEAH BABY!
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

Personally I don't have a problem with CCM, however I have a problem with the quality/presentation of it now. At one point or another hymns and such have been considered "contemorary". It's a minor point that the hymn writers would use bar songs as the melodies and then put Christian lyrics to them.
I think that part of the problem today is that aside from those who have been in it for the past 20 years...it's run by non Christians who could care less about message and only worry about the bottom line. Hence one of the reasons that discouraged me from going into Christian radio. There's just something lacking in a lot of the newer groups.
Eugene Blackgaard
Amadeo killed me!

dawningoftime wrote:Personally I don't have a problem with CCM, however I have a problem with the quality/presentation of it now. At one point or another hymns and such have been considered "contemorary". It's a minor point that the hymn writers would use bar songs as the melodies and then put Christian lyrics to them.
I think that part of the problem today is that aside from those who have been in it for the past 20 years...it's run by non Christians who could care less about message and only worry about the bottom line. Hence one of the reasons that discouraged me from going into Christian radio. There's just something lacking in a lot of the newer groups.
A very good and valid point. It grieves me that this is the case these days. But there are some Contemporary artists who do care about the message, I should know, I know a very very talented and poular artists in the Christian rock scene personally.
Larry The Pickle
If posts were pigs...
Location: An uncharted Island, thought to exist only in myth.

Post by Larry The Pickle »

Eugene Blackgaard wrote:
dawningoftime wrote:Personally I don't have a problem with CCM, however I have a problem with the quality/presentation of it now. At one point or another hymns and such have been considered "contemorary". It's a minor point that the hymn writers would use bar songs as the melodies and then put Christian lyrics to them.
A very good and valid point. It grieves me that this is the case these days. But there are some Contemporary artists who do care about the message, I should know, I know a very very talented and poular artists in the Christian rock scene personally.
:dumb: Who is it?!
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

I think we should evaluate the merits of music regardless of whether it's labeled as "old" or "contemporary." Saying that hymns used to be modern and contemporary doesn't answer the question. The question is *not* "Should we use contemporary music" but rather "Is today's contemporary music scriptural?"

I heard several discussions and viewpoints on this topic over the years, and the "bar songs" story seems to be quite prevalent. Again, that doesn't address the real issue. Contemporaryness (is that a word?) is not what we're discussing. If the bar melody is morally good music-than fine. However, modern rock music is a far cry musically from bar songs melodies in the 1700/1800s--despite the fact they are and were labeled "contemporary" in their time.

I happen to believe that rock music--due to its rather heavy beat and unbalanced emphasis on rythm**--tends to stir up wrong thought/emotions in the listener.

**Note that I am not against rythm. Rythm is a central and vital aspect of music. I am against, however, the undue stress on rythm, especially *weak weak STRONG, weak weak STRONG* rap/rock rythms.

All this said, I believe some of the above points are well worth listening to--namely that Christians should have a godly attitude when listening and/or playing music. God is interested in both attittude and actions.

Cheerio, cheerio

Doctor Watson
Eugene Blackgaard
Amadeo killed me!

Jman 009 wrote::dumb: Who is it?!
Jeremy Camp, the Kry, Switchfoot (I don't know them very well at all, just a mutual aqaintance. I doubt they'd remember me. ;)), Phill Wickham, Sean Cimino, Olivia, Farewell Down (Lesser known Band), and a few others.
drwhit73
Gold Member

Post by drwhit73 »

Why would one shudder at the thought of listening to hymns. They are referred to in the Bible as a way to sing and make melody?

Ephesians 5:19
Colossians 3:16

Just Curious.