Your Church

Tell us all about it.

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Kenric
If posts were pigs...

Post by Kenric »

I'm a Seventh-Day Adventist and I attend the New Hope Samoan Seventh-Day Adventist Company that is within the Southeastern California Conference of Seventh-Day Adventists.
gimp80995 wrote:Due to a chain of events, I'm currently only going to the Free-Will Baptist Church for an undefined period of time.

Peace Out

-Gimp
Hmmm. I've VERY VERY curious to know why you were involved with three churches. That must be one heck of a story. Could you please PM me??
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

I go to a small home church called Houston International Christian Fellowsip. It started out as a fellowship that my dad, my mom and some of their freinds started when they go out of college. In the '90s we started meeting as a church. Right now we meet at my pastor's house. We meet Sunday afternoons, Wednesday nights, and every other Saturday night. We also go to the mall to witness almost every Friday. We usually don't have much more than three families attending at a time. It could be bigger, but I really love having a small church as opposed to a big one.
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

We also have "Raise The Praise" at the Free-Will Baptist Church I attend the first Sat of every month.........and with this being the day before, I'm working like mad trying to make sure my music is near perfection since I work tomorrow (though thanks to a diskman, I can practice at work), and I come home long enough to change outta my scrubs into real clothes and go around the corner to the church in time for it, so I don't have time to practice here at the house after work tomorrow.

It's a pretty awesome program though, we have lots of people who do different songs.........from slow hymns, to modren Christian Rock, to Christian Rap. The only rule is it must be Christian music. Generally starts around 7 and ends between 8:30 and 9 PM, anyone can sing.......from the little 3 yr olds singing "Jesus Loves Me" to the oldest person there singing much deeper and more profound songs.

I'm doing "The Least I Could Do" by Scott Krippayne.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Mountain_Girl
Classic

Post by Mountain_Girl »

hmmmmmm, we have about 80 on Sunday mornings, 30 on Sunday nights, and about 30 on Wednsdays. in youth group we have about 1 through 4 teens and for Sunday school on Sunday nights we have one or two teens and about two children. Children's Church can be between 4 through 7 or more. Wednsday is youth group and bible study. We have two services as you can see. we ARE old fashion as I said in the topic about instruments. Most of the ladies wear long skirts, me included in that, on Sunday mornings. On Sunday night they wear skirts or pant suits. On Sundays we start at 9:00 with sunday school and end sunday school somewhere at 11:00, for church we go from 11:00 to whenever the pastor ends same with Sunday night and Wednsday night. There, you have now seen into my life in church ;) .

ImageImageImageImage
Kris Doyle
Still standing tall

Post by Kris Doyle »

I go to a small church (but it is growing) called Fresh Anointing Apostolic. We believe the Bible is God's inspired Word (as I'm sure most everyone here believes). Our services are exciting :D ! We're big on dynamic worship \:D/ , but realize that would be nothing without prayer and preaching. We have a 10AM service and one at 6PM on Sunday, then 7PM service Wednesday. Usually every other Monday night at 7 is prayer meeting. The church is open early before every service (except prayer meeting--LOL), so people can come in, pray, and get ourselves in tune with God. (Kinda reminds me of Tom Riley in "Sunday Morning Scramble," one of my favorite semi-recent AIO eps without Eugene :D .) We also believe that to be saved all we need to do is what Peter said (in Acts 2:38):
1) Repent (not only apologize, but turn away from sin)
2) Be baptized in Jesus' name
3) God will give us the gift of the Holy Ghost!
Even though our salvation beliefs are unique, our pastor reminds us to keep a good attitude and not to have a 'better than them' spirit toward people from other denominations. Our pastor is a really fun person to be around for jokes and fun, yet he knows when to be serious, too. He's not afraid to tell people what the Bible says, even if some people don't like it--kind of like Jesus in the four Gospels. We've got around 80 people on Sunday mornings, which isn't much compared to a lot of other churches, but it's a lot more than we used to have, since people invite and pray for friends and family.
I gotta go, so I can get my homework done.
Feel free to check out the church's website: http://www.freshanointingupc.org
God bless!
Last edited by Kris Doyle on Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

Jonathan wrote:I'm not going to explain the whole thing. All I'll say is that the beginning of the end was when some people made a big hoo-hah over something unimportant.

-Jonathan
That has happened SO many times in churches we've went to!

Currantly, we go to a church of around ....uh.....300. It's pretty good, it has its problems (like all churches!) but we like it. It's a Methodist church....but it isn't a "METHODIST" church. Do you know what I mean? :D
Kris Doyle
Still standing tall

Post by Kris Doyle »

Lady Simbelmynë wrote:Currantly, we go to a church of around ....uh.....300. It's pretty good, it has its problems (like all churches!) but we like it. It's a Methodist church....but it isn't a "METHODIST" church. Do you know what I mean? :D
I think I've got your drift... :D ...Not what people expect a Methodist church to be like. BTW, did you know the old-time Methodists used to be nicknamed "shouting Methodists" \:D/ ? Anyway, I gotta go.
God bless you, in Jesus' name!!!! :D
"Then Peter said unto them, 'Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.'" (Acts 2:38)
Visit the website of my home church: http://www.freshanointingupc.org
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

gimp80995 wrote:We also have "Raise The Praise" at the Free-Will Baptist Church I attend the first Sat of every month.........and with this being the day before, I'm working like mad trying to make sure my music is near perfection since I work tomorrow (though thanks to a diskman, I can practice at work), and I come home long enough to change outta my scrubs into real clothes and go around the corner to the church in time for it, so I don't have time to practice here at the house after work tomorrow.

It's a pretty awesome program though, we have lots of people who do different songs.........from slow hymns, to modren Christian Rock, to Christian Rap. The only rule is it must be Christian music. Generally starts around 7 and ends between 8:30 and 9 PM, anyone can sing.......from the little 3 yr olds singing "Jesus Loves Me" to the oldest person there singing much deeper and more profound songs.

I'm doing "The Least I Could Do" by Scott Krippayne.

Peace Out

-Gimp
And since we're less than a week away from the last "Raise the Praise" until next year now, I'm being a cheater..........doing the same song I did last month ;) Not really my fault........it's just the only music track I have access to, that I know and like.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
ajamj
Older Than Dirt
Older Than Dirt

Post by ajamj »

I belong to a United Methodist Church. On Sundays we have 3 services: Family Worship, Contemporary Worship, and Traditional Worship. We go to Family Worship. Before the sermon there is "Time with Children" that explains the days message for the kids. I'm going to guess that 100+ attend that service. I'm not sure about the other 2. I have only gone to them a hand full of times. I do know that the Contemporary service has the highest attendance.

Our church has had alot of upheaval the last 6-7 years. In the past we had pastors stay forever. Now it seems like we are changing all the time. We had a great man for about 15 years that felt he needed to leave because of his sons actions. Then the next one didn't follow the bishops directions to attend counseling due to an earlier matter. I don't know why the next one left. The last one had a church become available in his hometown. So, now we have a new man.

This makes people feel like they don't know what is going on because each minister has their own way of doing things. Also, alot of the support staff haven't stayed on through all the changes. We didn't have a Children's Ministries Leader until after Sunday School had begun this Fall. The Confirmation class received its service list just a couple of weeks ago! I pray that things will settle down soon so that people can feel at home again.

Everyone should have a happy dance.
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

i go to a small church
totustuus
Pilgrim

Post by totustuus »

I go to a Catholic church. we have two daily masses and six Sunday masses. It is a pretty big church in our area, and we are actually working on building a new building :D
pianokitty
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by pianokitty »

We go to a Methodist church. It has 3 services..but we go to the 8:15 service then at 9:45 I go to Sunday youth group...
Lizzy
Not Implemented

Post by Lizzy »

I go to a Mennonite church (NO not the old order kind that is kind of close to the Amish) We have Sunday School for all ages starting at 9:30 a.m. and the Worship Service starts at 10:45 a.m. We have a fairly small church with about 100 members (they don't all come at the same time). My dad is the pastor and you can show up for church wearing almost anything you want ( within reason (not like you'll get kicked out whatever you wear)) I usually wear a skirt to church on Sunday morning especially when I'm singing with the Praise and Worship Team. Other Sundays I go wearing dress pants ( This is an agreement I made with my parents b/c my mom prefers I wear a skirt to church but she knows that clothing choices are my decision). We have Children's Church during the service the kids are dismissed after the singing and announcements etc. The deacons tell them a story and pray with them and then the teachers take them to their special class where they hear a bible story, colour pictures, and play with play dough or in the ball pit. I teach the class about once a month it's a blast! The kids range from 2-6 and there are about 10 of them regularly. They are soo cute! On Wednesday nights we have Bible Study for the adults and Kidz 4 Christ for kids in Kindergarten through Garde 6. We are doing this ciriculum called God Chasers and it's really cool to see the differnce that it's making in these kids lives. I do the music and act as the gofer for the program. It is and AWESOME program and the leaders are doing a great job. On Friday nights we have our Youth Night. We have about 12 youth ranging from grades 7 through 12 but it's growing and in the New Year we are splitting into Grades 6-11 and College and Career where we are inviting some of the students from the local Bible College to join us! I also work with the Youth program which is a real challenge when your related to half the youth and 2 of them are your siblings! ](*,) The head Youth Leader is like the older brother that I never had so I really like working with him and his wife. We are also just starting cell groups or care groups and I'm pretty excited to see how that will work. Our church has gone through some really major changes in the last few years and we are just starting to rebound. I think God has something really great planned for us and I am learning to love my church for what it is and not hate it because it doesn't change as fast as I would like it to! If we didn't have any problems I would have to be very worried because we wouldn't be growing and Satan wouldn't have to work against us. So I just keep on praying for the leadership and trusting that this is where God wants me to be until He tells me otherwise!
It's good to visit again... it's been a while!
PJ
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: wandering in the desert, searching for my promised land

Post by PJ »

gimp80995 wrote:So.........does your church just have one service? two? three? How big is it? How many people generally come and is that a "big church" for your area or rather small? Anyway..........what is your church (or churches if you go to more than one) like? -Gimp
I attend a non-denominational church. We have two services on Sunday. One is in the morning and one is in the evening. We have Sunday school before the morning service. Sunday school is for all ages. Split into three - one for the adults, one for the teens and one for the children. Sunday school is at 10:00 AM and the morning service is at 11:00 AM. The evening service starts at 7:00 PM. For the evening service, everyone is together. We worship with about six songs and then we'll either watch a Christian movie, play Bible Trivia, have a testimony night, etc.. The church isn't very big. About 20-25 members attend every Sunday morning and 12-20 attend every Sunday night. - usually the same people that came in the morning, but it's cool. I think it is smaller than some of the other churches around. The town only has 242 people, so, I'm not sure. We have lunch at the church every Sunday..which anyone is invited to. We plan a meal and several ladies prepare it and we eat it around noon. We also eat at night, after the evening service, of course it's leftovers from lunch..but it's still good the second time around! We have Bible study on Wednesday for everyone. - Split into three classes again. If we had more members, we would probably split off into more groups. I'd love to have a young adults class..hopefully, someday!
Conniepaw
Smile for the camera

Post by Conniepaw »

http://www.wrbc.us

This is my church's website. You can see out activities and beliefs on it.
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

We go to an Assemblies of God church... it's about 300-400 people, with 2 services on Sunday (a 9 am, and 11 am) ... with Sunday school between...
Sunday evening 7 PM, with youth group at 6:30 PM in the other auditorium. Wednesday evening at 7 is family-type age-groups. Thursday evening is Celebrate Recovery, and Saturday used to be youth group until they changed it.

Our pastor's father used to be the senior pastor, while our pastor was the associate pastor, but now it's reversed.
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
actinglove299
Sing in the sunshine

Post by actinglove299 »

I go to a Baptist Church. It is really, really small with only about 20 - 30 people per week, 40 at the most. On Sudays we have Sunday School at 10:00, Service at 11:00, and on Wednesday nights from 6:30 - 8:00 we do Pioneer Club, which is our youth group
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Since I absolutely can't pay attention in class any longer, I'll share a little about my church.

Currently I attend a small, Tridentine Rite church. Basically, its a Catholic Church, but during the 60's and the Second Vatican Council, the Tridentine Masses were abolished and replaced with what we now know as "Novus Ordo" (New Order). The biggest changes are the length (Novus Ordo Masses are MUCH shorter) as well as the music - previously Gregorian chant replaced with music at the discretion of the individual churches (can be anything from hymns to charasmatic tunes).

Anyhow, its a long and convoluted story, but a lot of groups who didn't approve of of the Novus Ordo Rite split from the church, the largest being known as the Pius X movement. Others chose to still adhere to the old Tridentine Rite without splitting with Rome (through receiving special permission); the largest group is known as the Fraternity of St. Peter (FSP). The biggest noticible difference is that the Old Rite is celebrated entirely in Latin. Those of us who prefer it do for a number of reasons (myself, because I find it to be a more reverent and complete celebration).
Others prefer the newer, modern celebrations - its entirely discretionary.

The biggest stigma attached to it in Catholic circles that I really dislike is that the Tridentine Mass people are "snobbish" or "purists". Though some people view it pridefully, the majority of people choose to attend these services for personal, spiritual reasons, not because they want to be noticed, or wish to distinguish themselves from everyone else.

Mass begins at 11am on Sunday mornings, but since I have about an hour long drive, I have to wake up pretty early. ;)
Clodius Albinus
Smile for the camera

Post by Clodius Albinus »

Sherlock Holmes: That means, tragically, that you're missing out on the musical genius of Marty Haugen and David Haas!

As an outsider, the rare mass I've attended has always been of the ubiquitous Novus Ordo variety, meaning that I'm far more likely to hear "Let There be Peace on Earth" than the Kyrie. A question, though: while the mass is celebrated in Latin, is the homily offered in English? I have enough respect for tradition that, were I Catholic, the Tridentine rite would appeal to me, and I'm sure that a devout Catholic is familiar enough with the liturgy, or can become so, to follow along to the Latin portions. If the message itself were offered in that tongue, however, I wouldn't have any chance of catching more than the occasional word, which would seem to devalue it substantially for someone who, like myself, never took Latin.
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
Pc Pro
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Pc Pro »

wow I had no I idea there are so many SDAs on here. I am a SDA but I any from the left wing ;)