Horse Racing 2023

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Horse Racing 2023

Post by bookworm »

It's that time again! Image

Discuss developments in the new season of horse races here! As usual I plan to also live chat each of the jewel races and the finale in the main Chatroom channel #aio if anyone else wants to come by while watching live. All are broadcast on NBC.

Image Kentucky Derby - May 6thImageImage Preakness Stakes - May 20thImageImage Belmont Stakes - June 10thImageImage Breeder's Cup - November 4th
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I pay very little attention to horse racing but I did see a headline today indicating that a frontrunner withdrew hours before the race, so that must add a little drama!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

There was indeed drama around this year's race. As you said the horse that had been the favorite was a late scratch due to injury concern. Also another horse was removed when its trainer was abruptly suspended after "highly unusual sudden deaths" of multiple horses.

Mage ended up winning today, a moderate surprise at 15-1 final odds.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I guess there are a few happy people out there then!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

National Treasure wins the Preakness! \:D/

Bob Baffert gets a record breaking 8th Preakness win in his first Triple Crown race since the questionable two year suspension! =D>
His stable went through all the emotions today; they were having trouble focusing on prep for this race after sadly losing a horse in an earlier one after an injury that sent the jockey to the hospital.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That is a great name!

Bookworm, I don't pay attention to horse racing, but because you post about it I always seem to notice when a race is happening. I saw it listed as airing today and thought of this thread. It still didn't make me watch, though. ;)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Arcangelo wins the Belmont Stakes making Jena Antonucci the first female trainer to win a Triple Crown race! =D>
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Sounds like a great accomplishment!