954: Legally Wooton

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!
Polehaus53
29K to go!
954: Legally Wooton

Post by Polehaus53 »

Wooton discovers that an old friend has stolen one of his comic book creations and is claiming it as his own.
Anyone have any thoughts on this most unique episode of Album 74?
Wow, this episode was something else. There have been many different reactions to it, and I'm not entirely sure what to think. :-k :panic:
I feel like a good amount of this episode contained stuff that only older listeners would understand and appreciate. This whole episode in its plot and dialogue had an entirely new, different feel to it, I think. “Legally Wooton” is the first episode by a new writer: Jesse Kellum IV. I’ll need to hear this episode some more to give a verdict, but for now I can say I liked it! Very unique episode!

The theme of mercy and how Wooton, even after arbitration, was merciful to Terry was all very well done. I want to listen to this episode a few more times, but for now I'll say the episode was good, and I look forward to seeing what Jesse Kellum IV will bring us in future episodes. :yes:
"our language contains many words having a double meaning; and...to pronounce a joke that allows both meanings of a certain word, proves the joker a person of culture and refinement, who has, moreover, a thorough command of the language."
Patterson
Tallying up

Post by Patterson »

It has it's problems sure, but I enjoyed this one quite a bit.

Between Terry, The Perilous Pen, and that one time Harlow accidentally claimed ownership of PowerBoy, poor Wooton's had to deal with art theft a lot. You'd think he'd be more knowledgeable about copyright considering all that (do you think Wooton's publisher dealt with that when Wooton was writing PowerBoy in secret? That could be a nightmare if Wooton was self publishing!).

Despite Wooton's legal cluelessness, I think the new writer did an amazing job of making Wooton feel like Wooton. Every once in a while Wooton will seem off in an episode, but this really felt like classic Wooton to me. Silly, but not overly silly, with a compassionate Christlike heart.

I seem to remember in an old Official Podcast, that Wooton stopped writing PowerBoy because FOTF learned that there was a Japanese comic with a character named PowerBoy. Wouldn't it be weird if they were claiming Focus was Christianizing (not to be confused with Christmas-itizing from Back To Bethlehem's wraparound :mrgreen: ) their character like Wooton did to Happy Porpoise?

I haven't learned this much about the difference between dolphins and porpoises since my Exploring Creation with Swimming Creatures of the Fifth Day science textbook in 4th Grade (homeschooler here). It had these fun assignments where you were supposed to draw sea creatures. I included a little drawing of a scuba-diving rabbit in almost every assignment!

Oh No! I just learned that there's a kids book called Scuba Bunnies published prior to my drawings!Image
See ya when I get out of jail.Image
Patterson character officially belongs to Fancy Monkey Studios. Character voiced by Phil Lollar. Used as a forum avatar without permission.
/spoiler]
"Patterson! You're alive!" "No, I'm not Patterson. I'm his uh... brother, uh... Shmatterson!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
chadagonye
I'm fifteen, mom!

Post by chadagonye »

I really like this around-the-corner thinking new writer and I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with next! The kids also liked this one, so it works outside Odyssey's primary target audience of strange adults, too!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Patterson wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:07 pm (not to be confused with Christmas-itizing from Back To Bethlehem's wraparound :mrgreen: )
:lol: I love that little skit. Classic!

This was a fun one. It does seem like Wooton should be a little more knowledgeable about copyright law at this point, but we all have our weak points I guess. ;) I did like the message about mercy and good judgement/accountability, because that can be a tough one with lots of nuance and disagreements.