The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Haha, that looks pretty good actually...better than I would have expected. I will definitely have to watch this soon!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

The most important thing learned from this special is that “Santa Claus Conquers the Martians” exists within the MCU. \:D/
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I see Marvel is finally really courting the Top Crusader market with their content.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Yes, long overdue.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I watched last night. It was fun! The vibe was about what I expected - fun, Christmas-y, random, fits with the Guardians universe. Not a Christmas classic ;) but worth the watch, especially at 45 minutes. I was sorry that Top spoiled the best part ahead of time, but other than that, two thumbs up. \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

How related is it to the current state of the broader MCU? Wondering if I could just jump in and watch this now or if it would be better to catch up first. (I'm way behind on things.)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I don't think anything past Infinity War would come into play at all.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The Top Crusader wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:42 amI don't think anything past Infinity War would come into play at all.
No multiverse stuff that I need to be aware of?
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

bookworm wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:13 pm
The Top Crusader wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:42 amI don't think anything past Infinity War would come into play at all.
No multiverse stuff that I need to be aware of?
Not that I noticed. There was a little piece of info (that I had totally forgotten about) that was from the second Guardians movie, but no multiverse stuff.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Cool I will watch it in the next couple weeks then. :)
Polehaus53
29K to go!
Post by Polehaus53 »

I watched this a little while ago. I liked it, very fun short with the classic Guardians of the Galaxy humor and action. The song that was sung in the beginning, "I Don't Know What Christmas Is" was pretty funny. :lol: I thought it was a good story as a whole and I enjoyed it.
"our language contains many words having a double meaning; and...to pronounce a joke that allows both meanings of a certain word, proves the joker a person of culture and refinement, who has, moreover, a thorough command of the language."
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Oh I forgot about this! I will watch it tonight!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

You have perfect timing, bookworm - it's not quite Christmas yet! It's a fun little movie. I wouldn't watch it twice this year, but I will watch it again next Christmas I think.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It was really fun!

I wondered if putting Mantis and Drax together might be too much, having the sole focus for so long be both characters whose only purpose right now is setting up or paying off jokes could easily become overbearing fast, especially since Mantis has been really turned up from the more subtle comedy she provided in her debut, but it was actually very funny and enjoyable.

The confirmation that Mantis is Peter's sister was a big thing to drop in what I expect most people would assume is just a silly short bonus thing; I wouldn't have thought this would contain actually meaningful plot advancement for the bigger picture.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

bookworm wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:30 am The confirmation that Mantis is Peter's sister was a big thing to drop in what I expect most people would assume is just a silly short bonus thing; I wouldn't have thought this would contain actually meaningful plot advancement for the bigger picture.
I'm glad you liked it!

My memory is iffy at times, so I thought maybe I should have known that little piece of info and just forgot. :anxious:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:45 pmMy memory is iffy at times, so I thought maybe I should have known that little piece of info and just forgot. :anxious:
It's something that some people have thought might be the case for a while, but I don't recall Guardians 2 clear enough to remember if it was actually hinted at before or if folks were completely just speculating. Either way this was the first time it's been definitively stated to be true.