Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Patterson
Tallying up

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Post by Patterson »

A new Star Trek series called Strange New Worlds just came out.

Here's the trailer: https://youtu.be/XL4iCAB6MFo

It's a prequel series following The USS Enterprise about ten years before The Original Series.

My thoughts on the first episode:
It was alright, but just alright. Captain Pike's first officer goes missing during a first contact mission and they travel to a new planet to rescue her. Spock got engaged and is having some terrible visons but gets pulled away from his fiancé to go on the rescue mission. In typical Trek style, they send a few select high ranking officers down to the planet where the aliens have reverse engineered a warp drive into a nuclear style bomb. They rescue the first officer and Pike resolves the whole conflict with a inspirational speech.

My biggest issue with it is that nothing seems right in continuity. I do have to warn you, most Star Trek is pretty meh for me. That said, TOS is probably the second best Star Trek series in my opinion just because of how corny looking everything is(not to mention the total goodness of Captain Kirk being a complete ham). This series pays a little homage to the 1960s designs, but for the most part everything is shiny and new. Just about the only thing that looks like it's the same is the tricorders.

If you can ignore the continuity of the designs(maybe they'll reveal this series is in an alternate dimension later), it looks gorgeous visually. I'm a big Star Wars fan, so I'm used to years of canon being butchered with franchises #-o , really I'm just sad they aren't making it look super cheesy.

As for characters, it's really too early to tell what they'll be like, but so far I think they found a pretty good actor for Spock. Nobody could replace Leonard Nimoy, but this guy is closer to his look and voice than I expected. I think this actor's shown up before in a different Star Trek series, but I haven't seen that one.

Too early to tell if this will be good, some Star Trek shows in the past (some Star Wars shows too) have taken a few seasons to get off the ground. The pilot's a decent start, but I really wish they made everything look more like 60's Trek. It probably wouldn't have the mainstream appeal looking like that in 2022 though. It's possible there could be some sort of timeline shenanigans that reset things to look like TOS in the future. I don't think it's likely, but it could be a way to try to pacify Trek fans about the glaring issue.

After they dropped the ball with Picard, I wonder if this is Star Trek's attempt to get back to it's roots. This really wasn't a bad episode as long as you don't mind a boring motivational speech at the end.

And Pike's horse is so awesome!
"Patterson! You're alive!" "No, I'm not Patterson. I'm his uh... brother, uh... Shmatterson!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I've been seeing ads for this and wondered if someone would make a thread for it. :)

I'm a general Star Trek fan so hearing there was another new series coming interested me, but I don't know if I'll watch it any time soon. I would normally say I definitely won't be, since it's streaming only, but I actually do currently have free Paramount+ from a promotion so I could check this one out if I wanted. I don't feel like I have the time or interest at the moment though. I never started Discovery or Picard either. I want to give them all a try eventually, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

I started the series, and actually forgot to return to it, mid-episode, probably episode 5. They tried so hard, and the actors do an adequate job for the writing they're given. The writing is still a little off. A super-well-connected-to-subordinates Captain Pike? And poor Spock's dialog and rewriting of the Vulcans (for the second time!) are like watching a slow-moving wreck again. The classical sci-fi elements are there, but the established sense of order and characterizations aren't really there.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry: