Please help me list AiO nouns (I'm making a game!)

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Please help me list AiO nouns (I'm making a game!)

Post by bookworm »

As you are hopefully aware, there is a bot in the Chatroom that can play Apples to Apples. It's really easy to make custom cards for the game to use, so I thought it would be fun to create an Adventures in Odyssey themed game mode!

To do this I need to swap out the standard red cards with ones that pertain to AiO, so I need a lot of names of people, places, and things. I've got people pretty well covered; I used the character list on AiO Wiki. Compiling good places and things is harder though, and would take more time than I want to spend on it if working alone, so I'm going to crowdsource this. Come up with what you think would make good cards and we'll make this game together! \:D/

Examples of what I'm looking for:
"Whit's End", "Campbell County Community College", and "The Bible Room" are great cards for locations.
"Whit's Ice Cream", "Eugene's Computer", and "Bernard's Squeegee" are some good thing cards.
I also need some companies and groups, such as "Novacom" and "The Bones of Rath"
There can also be actions or ideas, like "Using the Imagination Station", "Drinking a Wod-Fam-Choc-Sod", or "An Elaborate I Slap Floor"

Add your ideas to this Google Doc as you think of them!
It's publicly editable, you don't have to be logged into anything. Thanks for your help! :D
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Thanks for doing this, bookworm! I added several things- feel free to remove any if you think they won't work in the game.
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Thanks TS!

The category I'll need the most help filling is the experiences/concepts, like "Asking Mr. Whittaker For Advice"
It's easy to identify good ones when you have one, but they take some thought to come up with.
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

I will definitely add some if I think of it. :-k

Thanks for sharing bookworm! :mrgreen:
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

More experience/concept cards I thought of, to help people grasp the idea of that category:

Accidentally Activating Applesauce
Waking Up In The Twilife Zone
Realizing Your Evil Twin Came Through Town Before You
A 'Sale' At The Electric Palace
Customer Service At The Electric Palace
A Week At Camp What-A-Nut
A Defeated Villain Returning As A Computer Virus
Being Harlow Doyle's Secretary
Getting Contacted By AREM
Stuck In An Elevator With Bryan Dern

The possibilities here are pretty endless, you just have to come up with them.
We're going to want a lot of cards in this category so please give it some thought! :)
Scientific Guy
Tallying up

Post by Scientific Guy »

Here's a template of all the organizations in Odyssey: Template:Organizations in Odyssey
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

-- 13 May 2019 4:32 pm --

Excellent! Thanks Scientific Guy! It seemed like the Wiki would have that kind of thing somewhere. :)

-- 2 Feb 2021 9:12 am --

Just a reminder that this is still a thing. Not many cards have gotten added; I need some more before we can test out how it works in a game! I especially need help making a lot of experience/concept cards, see my previous post for several examples.
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

I added some things to the Google Doc, but feel free to take out anything that doesn't work! I don't really hang out on the chat, but I think I'd enjoy playing once you get enough info to run an AIO Apples to Apples! :)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

You added a ton of great concept cards, thanks so much! They're exactly in line with what I was looking for! :D

We were just saying in the Chatroom how fun it would be to play this AiO variant during listening parties in the future - everyone please continue to help add cards so we can make that happen! \:D/
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

Great! :D Approximately how many cards do you think you'll need?
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

-- February 5th, 2021, 12:11 pm --

After your additions we're probably about at a good size list for a workable game without distractingly frequent repetition, so not too many more really needed purely for functionality, but the more the better just to fill out gameplay. There are well over 1,000 in the regular game. (I don't expect, or want, anywhere near that many for this but definitely continue adding if you think of something good, there's no cap on the number!)

-- May 13th, 2022, 6:02 pm --

The deck that's been compiled so far has been working great with the small test games I've been running! \:D/ Before officially releasing the game I just need to test if it still works when there is a large number of players, or if we need to get some more cards added in before I'm confident it will be okay to let run unattended.

I'm holding a playtest event next week where people can come help test this out and get a chance to play the game before its official launch! Hoping for a big turnout; see this thread for details!
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I'm glad to finally contribute some ideas! Hopefully, I can think up some more! \:D/
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The game is now live! \:D/

Thank you to everyone who has sent in card ideas!
Please continue to add any suggestions for additional cards, more are always welcome!
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

@Scientific Guy: Now you can come up with 500 ideas. ;) [Full list here]

I definitely think we need at least 119 more to bring the current red card count to 500.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

Was the list cut down? I thought of a few things I wanted to add, but it looks much shorter than it used to, so I didn't want to add anything extra if it had been shortened for some reason.

EDIT: Oh wait, I see there's a spreadsheet now. I'm assuming most of it migrated over there?
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Petrichor wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:20 pm Was the list cut down? I thought of a few things I wanted to add, but it looks much shorter than it used to, so I didn't want to add anything extra if it had been shortened for some reason
The Google Doc was never a full list of all our cards, it's the 'submission form' for new suggestions. I keep just a handful of examples of each category in there, if you have ideas to add please do insert them at the bottom of the list! :yes: When I periodically review the doc for new edits I'll take them out and add them to the bot's deck if they work.