876: Page from the Playbook

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How do you rate this episode?

1 This episode
100%
2 Don't hold your elbow
No votes
3 out so far;
No votes
4 It might go home
No votes
5 in another car. Burmashave.
No votes

Total votes: 1

KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

876: Page from the Playbook

Post by KODY 105 »

This episode broadcast on 2022-01-17.
Episode summary
As the Odyssey High School Football team heads toward the state championship, wide receiver Buck Oliver and quarterback Cooper Calhoun have to deal with unexpected challenges from Jay Smouse – who’s trying to sell team memorabilia – and their new assistant coach… Eugene Meltsner.
My thoughts
This plot is the same as a Brady Bunch episode: a kid from a rival school steals the playbook of the high school football peeps. But here's the Christianized version: the leader figures were wise enough to figure this out immediately and then formulate a plan, without telling anyone or cutting it off right away. They left the temptation open for a crook instead of preventing that person from sliding further into temptation! What wisdom and wit!

Is there anything Eugene doesn't do now?! Rugged outdoorsman, sports coach, college professor, foster dad. This guy is the living reincarnation of Whit. As much as I love Eugene Meltsner, this Perfect Everyman-ism is stupid. Or maybe I am. I'd rather hear about his spy work in Morocco. 1/5

And I realize now that I've pasted my response into the web form that Eugene was being groomed to be the replacement Wise Old Man trope for Whit. It was mostly working, minus the silly plan to let a crook actually complete his wrong actions, and let young people see it and think they have to do something about it because they can't take their concerns to the authorities. But now I'm ranting again. /rant
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry: