Unpopular AIO Opinions

What are your unpopular aio opinions?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
coffeeappreciation
Gold Member
Post by coffeeappreciation »

Logging into my AIO club acct and this quote immediately reminded me of this thread.
No whit in aio?
No whit in aio?
Talk about controversial! This is a good one. :mrgreen:
I for one hope this never happens. It was hard enough when Mr. Herlinger passed away, and I'll never forget the mixed feelings waiting for Mr. Whit to come back to the show with a new voice, and getting used to him! :D
Psst! Hey, you! Yeah, you there! Thanks to everyone who helped hatch my dragon egg! :anxious:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That is definitely controversial, though I know a few people would agree. I think that they did a great job making some wonderful episodes between Hal Smith and Paul Herlinger, but I don't think that's a good enough reason to say that Whit isn't needed. It's a fictional town with an established funky passage of time. Whit can live forever! \:D/
Wod Fam Choc Sod
Not as new

Post by Wod Fam Choc Sod »

I'm sure I have plenty of unpopular opinions but right now, I can only think of three...

1. I hate the Novacom saga. It's just--horrible. Horribly frightening and CREEPY
2. Harlow Doyle drives me crazy =P He's funny for about thirty seconds and then I get annoyed ](*,)
3. Jason and Connie need to get married. I want that sooooo bad... (partly because I very much relate to Connie and because I've had a crush on Jason for... never mind.)
Read Odyssey's latest epic: The Checkmate Saga!!!
https://juliettederouledewrites.blogspo ... kmate.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Connie: (whispering) Oh, she looks beautiful, doesn't she?
Jason: (also whispering) Beautiful.
Connie: (tearfully) Everyone looks beautiful!
Jason: Yes, Connie, they're all beautiful.
Connie: Your dad. Oh... he looks great in that tuxedo. He's... oh... he's...
Jason: Beautiful.
Connie: (still fighting tears) Yeah. And Katrina in that dress...
Jason: She got her stitches out just in time.
Connie: (quavering) I think I'm gonna cry.
Jason: Here's my hankie.
Connie: *sniffs* Thank you.
Jason: I knew all along, by the way.
Connie: Well, good for you. Can I cry now, or are you gonna keep talking?
Jason: Have a good cry.
Connie: (sobbing) Thank you. *dramatic sobs* *blows nose*
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Bob wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:25 pm
Isaiah the Ox wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:36 pm -Odyssey is better when it is slice-of-life and chill. Yes, there's been some good dramatic sagas and multi-parters, but my favorite episodes are those that seem to fit into anyone's normal life. Post album 51/55, there seems to be too frequent dramatic episodes about stolen objects or break-ins or wars or becoming world famous (?!?) and the unrealism and tension are unappealing to me. I want a normal Odyssey where someone cheats on a test, or vacations at home, or attempts to evangelize in all the worst possible ways. That speaks to me as a human and makes me want to try out new things or really learn with the cast, instead of just being entertained by impossibilities.
I agree that slice-of-life episodes are a boon. Echoing back to my old days as a curmudgeonly anti-critic, though, I don't think it's fair to make this a 'post-album-50' issue. In fact, we might have to go as far back as Hal Smith to the time when this was actually the norm.

That said, it is fair to say that newer albums can be a little more dramatic in material. Part of that is because of the Club; the writers thus feel the need to pack more of the dramatic episodes (which are generally the focal point of any album) into the regular albums, at the expense of regular things happening. The other part, I think we have to consider that the show has been around for a long time, and it's not easy to find material that isn't similar to something they've already done before. If they do do something that's similar, they'll get criticized for that and how 'stale and boring' the show is, so they're pretty much in for it no matter what they do.

Even if the circumstances aren't always the most 'realistic' (or at least, the most common or likely to happen in real life), what's arguably just as important is that the characters' responses are realistic*. It's to be expected that stories might be about uncommon situations happening, but what makes it obnoxious is when you can't relate to the characters in those situations. I feel that there have been many episodes in the last few years where the reactions have been relatable, even when the plots weren't probable.

* By "realistic" I don't mean in the sense that it is necessarily something that the average person would do in real life, but in the sense that it is something that we might feel or think about doing, although we might not 'pull the trigger' on it.
I agree with both of you. I try to withhold my judgements of new episodes until I've had a few years to marinate with them, but since album 58 that's how I've felt.
Peachey Keen wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:31 pm- I don't want Buck and Jules as a couple
Getting caught up on this thread and I see this, and now I feel like I just read a spoiler (I'm a couple of albums behind)
Monty_Whittaker
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Monty_Whittaker »

Odyssey just. . at least for me personally, dropped off HARD after Album 57. It doesn't help that 51-52 aren't great to begin with. . .

Also, I think that it's really lazy that we know that you can bring back Marvin and Ed and they never do except for one episode each (albeit both of the episodes they were in were better then average, definently some of the few post-57 episodes I'm willingly to relisten to.)
Resident JRPG nut
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

MinatoArisato wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:04 pm Odyssey just. . at least for me personally, dropped off HARD after Album 57. It doesn't help that 51-52 aren't great to begin with. .
I actually liked Albums 51 and 52. Definitely agree about the drop off though.
Monty_Whittaker
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Monty_Whittaker »

51 and 52 just don't have that many episodes I'm big on - though I will say that the Owlnapping is great, I can't really say besides that and Jubilee Singers that I remember or like most of the episodes from those albums.
Resident JRPG nut