Sports Discussion The Good The Bad And The C'mon Man!

Formerly Baseball Discussion: Latest Headlines.

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The one 'positive' (very forced) for most of this baseball season has been 'As abysmal as the Giants are this year they're not the worst!' as they've managed to stay in front on the Phillies. But now we're tied for last in the league. I'm finding the silver lining though because this actually sparks meaning into a final stretch of games that would otherwise be entirely pointless sitting here eliminated from playoff contention. It's a nail biting two team race! Every game counts! Not in fighting to reach the post season - fighting to not finish at the bottom! bookworm vs 321tumbler in whose bad team is slightly less awful? \:D/
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Cleveland's record breaking win streak of 22 uninterrupted wins came to an end. It broke the record held by the 1935 Chicago Cubs of 21.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Tsukuyomi
I'm fifteen, mom!

Post by Tsukuyomi »

The Blue Jays keep being more of the same. Ugh.
The 2017 Toronto Blue Jays are making me want to break stuff.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Bears should have just gotten their first win, but instead they're going to overtime because they got a field goal instead of a touchdown at the end of the first half because the guy returning a blocked kick decided to showboat at the one yard line and fumbled the ball.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

bookworm wrote:Bears should have just gotten their first win, but instead they're going to overtime because they got a field goal instead of a touchdown at the end of the first half because the guy returning a blocked kick decided to showboat at the one yard line and fumbled the ball.
Didn't see the game but that sounds very Bears. \:D/

What happened to the Lions is messed up though.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Knight Fisher wrote:What happened to the Lions is messed up though.
That was actually handled correctly.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Oh undoubtedly. The refs just love pulling these obscure rule scenarios out whenever the Lions are close to winning an important game though.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Wow, the Patriots could have, and really should, be sitting at a 0-4 start to the season. At least for sure 1-3.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Is anybody else excited that the NHL season is about to start? \:D/ It seems like preseason has dragged on forever this season! I don't really care about preseason because nobody is playing their full roster and it doesn't count, but the real games are finally almost here!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I hope the Red Wings get back to the playoffs.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yeah, they might still have a few painful rebuilding years ahead of them but the NHL is unpredictable. Maybe they'll be right back in the mix!
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Go hockey!! I wish more games were easily available to be seen...
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

bookworm wrote:bookworm vs 321tumbler in whose bad team is slightly less awful? \:D/
I lost. Phillies finished up one spot at 66-96, Giants tied for last with 64-98. Won't even get the top draft pick out of it because they lost the loser tiebreaker. Lol, what a garbage season.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laura Ingalls wrote:Go hockey!! I wish more games were easily available to be seen...
Yeah, I subscribe to Rogers NHL Gamecentre Live so I can watch, which is great, but there are still blackouts for a bunch of what they consider local games due to broadcasting rights and stuff, but that's super annoying! I hope you get to watch lots of games, Laura. :D

There have been so many high-scoring games lately! :mad: I caught the last six minutes of the Leafs/Rangers game last night, which ended up being an 8-5 Leafs win. Crazy stuff!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

So many major injuries to major NFL players this season! o.o
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Game 5 was something else. More stressful than WS Game 7 last year.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Knight Fisher wrote:Game 5 was something else. More stressful than WS Game 7 last year.
I listened on the radio - what an intense game! :thud:
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Welp the offenses seem to have disappeared in both CLS series'. We'll see what happens with the venue change.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

So, the refs in the Packers/Vikings game were legitimately paid off. They had to be, it's the only possible explanation. I cannot believe such an unfathomable level of one sided ineptitude could be due to genuine incompetence. There is no way this crew would be made professional officials if this is them truly giving their best effort.

In the same game:
  • No penalty on the Viking player that drove Aaron Rodgers into the ground well after he had thrown the ball, breaking his collarbone.
  • Only flagged a Packer for a horsecollar tackle when the Viking he was engaged with was pulling his facemask; should have been offsetting penalties.
  • Upheld in review the call of a completed Viking catch where the reciever came down out of bounds.
  • Overturned a Packer touchdown by questionable interpretation of when possession begins in regard to a catch going into the endzone.
  • No ejection on a blindside block that the Viking player lead with his helmet.
  • Did not review a called Viking first down catch that was undeniably on the ground before it was in the receiver's hands, even after the Vikings called a timeout giving them more than enough time to notice something so obvious.
It's mindblowing! If you're going to throw the game at least do a couple questionable things the other way so it's not so clear!
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I'm strongly considering switching from Chrome to FireFox for the rest of the season.