What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laurie wrote:
Catspaw wrote:Wow, if I was you, I would be reading two books at the same time too! That Bonhoeffer book is a big one! :mad: It's on my list of books to read. I got as far as buying it, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. My dad read it, so at least it got some use. ;) I've heard that it's really good, but it's such a long book that I keep thinking that there will be a better time to start it. I probably should follow your example, Laurie, and read it and another book at the same time.
The Bonhoeffer book is 500 plus pages. I'm about halfway through. With all of the books (fiction and non fiction) I have I should be reading two (or more) books at once. Now that I'm reading the Bonhoeffer book and a fiction title I'm starting to re think what I've always said about not being able to. Apparently I can. \:D/
Yay! It's always nice to find out about new things we can do! I need to work on building the habit of incorporating more non-fiction into my reading.

Opposite to what I just said ;) I started reading "With This Ring?" today, with has four novellas written by four different authors. The authors are Karen Witemeyer, Regina Jennings, Mary Connealy, and Melissa Jagears. I read the first two stories this afternoon and neither of them are connected to each other, but are connected to characters from the author's other books. This collection appealed to me right away because I really like everything that these four authors have written and I have all of their books, so it's fun to get filled in on the little stories they've added! The first two were really great. They perfectly fit with the author's styles and are still wonderful stories, even with the short page count.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished the Bonhoeffer book last night. It was very good and rather sad too. I am going to read fiction for a while before picking up the next non fiction book.
Last edited by Laurie on Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Lizzy88
OK

Post by Lizzy88 »

I LOVED the Bonhoeffer book. It is sad! Of course... most all biographies of people who aren't still alive are sad at the end. The author (Metaxas) said in another book he wrote, "At [the subject's] death ... we mourn his passing, and wish that we might see him once more alive ... for a few more pages, our new friend. And so it is that we sometimes find ourselves stumbling through such things as are called epilogues, looking for [him]." Yup, that's me. :/
On the Soda Shoppe I am HomeschoolCowgirl. On the Chat I am TheStepHat. Does that help ya?
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Wow, that's a great quote!

I just started "At Love's Bidding" by Regina Jennings. I'm only a few chapters in, and definitely wondering how some of the pieces are going to fit together. I like a little mystery! I've enjoyed the author's other books, so I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in this one. :D
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Midwife's Choice by Delia Parr, excellent book. The only problem is I have to wait until next month for the final book in the trilogy. :( Up next for me is A Worthy Heart by Susan Anne Mason. It is the second and final book in her Courage to Dream series.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Lizzy88
OK

Post by Lizzy88 »

The Patron Saint of Lost Dogs, by Nick Trout (DVM). Funny, but one or two too many storylines to be classified by me as "favorite".
On the Soda Shoppe I am HomeschoolCowgirl. On the Chat I am TheStepHat. Does that help ya?
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

Anne of Green Gables.. Boy does that girl talk. It's ridiculous, but I still like it.
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Kaida wrote:Anne of Green Gables.. Boy does that girl talk. It's ridiculous, but I still like it.
Tell me about it. o.o I've never read the books but the show/movies were enough for me. :boohoo:
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Let's see. I just got back into reading and so far have read four books total and am about to start my fifth. I have read:
  • Possibilities by N. Turner Simkins
    The Autobiography of James T. Kirk
    Extraordinary Means by Robyn Schneider
    Star Trek volume 13 (graphic novel)
I am about to start Both Sides of the Bedside by Christine Magnus Moore, RN, BSN.

I have challenged myself to read two books a month, and I have a wide range of titles picked out. I want to read them all at the same time, but that's kind of what got me into this mess. Too much to read all at once and zero motivation to read. My brain has grown tired. So, pacing myself. A very, very good direction for me. :)

And I HIGHLY recommend Possibilities by N. Turner Simkins. It's a father writing about his son's journey with AML - a type of leukemia. His son, Brennan, goes through the impossible only by the power of God himself and the miracle of modern medicine. Brennan goes through four bone marrow transplants, which is risky and unbelievable. And, to top it all off, Brennan is STILL ALIVE TODAY, five years post his fourth transplant and continues to be cancer free! Very powerful story of faith and medicine. It is amazing :)
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

I'm currently reading The Ruins of Gorlan, the first book in the Ranger's Apprentice series, which was recommended to me long ago by Blessed Cheesemaker. I'm about 75 pages from the end, and I've enjoyed it immensely thus far!
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

I read that one not long ago! I should move on to the second book. I really liked the first.
#ForeverKitty
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished A Worthy Heart by Susan Anne Mason today. Very good, I hope to see more by this author. I'm now reading Ties that Bind by Cindy Woodsmall, it is the first book in her Amish of Summer Grove trilogy/series. Very good so far.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I was so happy when I went to my local Christian bookstore and found the new Siri Mitchell book in stock! \:D/ Therefore, "Flirtation Walk" will be the next book I read. The description sounds very interesting.
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

Catspaw wrote:I was so happy when I went to my local Christian bookstore and found the new Siri Mitchell book in stock! \:D/ Therefore, "Flirtation Walk" will be the next book I read. The description sounds very interesting.
I saw that book on Goodreads. Tell me how you like it.
#ForeverKitty
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Ties that Bind, excellent book. I'm unhappy about finishing it only because I have to wait until August for the second book. Up next for me is Always on my Mind by Susan May Warren it is the fourth book in her Christiansen Family series.
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

I finished Howl's Moving Castle. I don't know what to read next..
#ForeverKitty
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Kaida wrote:I finished Howl's Moving Castle. I don't know what to read next..
The sequels. \:D/
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

Knight Fisher wrote:
Kaida wrote:I finished Howl's Moving Castle. I don't know what to read next..
The sequels. \:D/
I thought about it.. Didn't know if I would like it as much as Howl's.
#ForeverKitty
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Personally I liked them more. All 3 are definitely different though.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

All right. I'll give them a try.
#ForeverKitty