What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Keeper last night, excellent book. Suzanne Woods Fisher is one of my favorites. Up next for me is Song of Redemption by Lynn Austin. This is book 2 of her Chronicles of the Kings series.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Lizzy88 wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I started reading a book that I surprised myself with - "Moby Dick" by Herman Melville. It's one of those classics that I know a little bit about (including the first line, thanks to AIO!) but have never really thought about reading. I decided to give it a try, and I have found the first few chapters quite interesting. :yes:
"With all those hooks in him, the edibility factor approached nil - a veritable Moby Dick of lures and hooks, minus Melville's poetic genius of course. Sadly I must add that Mr. Melville was not recognized until long after his passing from his mortal... Hey! Wait for me!"
:lol: There is that epic speech by Eugene. There's also "I can do this...'Call me Ishamel'....I can't do this," from a failed Twilife Zone attempt to quit watching TV.
Laurie wrote:I finished My Brother's Crown, very good. Sadly I have to wait until next year to find out what happens next.
A friend of mine read this book too and loved it! I'm looking forward to reading it, but I'm not looking forward to the long wait for the next book!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Catspaw wrote:
Lizzy88 wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I started reading a book that I surprised myself with - "Moby Dick" by Herman Melville. It's one of those classics that I know a little bit about (including the first line, thanks to AIO!) but have never really thought about reading. I decided to give it a try, and I have found the first few chapters quite interesting. :yes:
"With all those hooks in him, the edibility factor approached nil - a veritable Moby Dick of lures and hooks, minus Melville's poetic genius of course. Sadly I must add that Mr. Melville was not recognized until long after his passing from his mortal... Hey! Wait for me!"
:lol: There is that epic speech by Eugene. There's also "I can do this...'Call me Ishamel'....I can't do this," from a failed Twilife Zone attempt to quit watching TV.
Laurie wrote:I finished My Brother's Crown, very good. Sadly I have to wait until next year to find out what happens next.
A friend of mine read this book too and loved it! I'm looking forward to reading it, but I'm not looking forward to the long wait for the next book!
The long wait is the one thing I don't like about Christian fiction.:(
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I decided it was time to read "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen again. :inlove: It's one of my all-time favourites, and I kept thinking about it, so I'm reading through again. Yay! \:D/
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Catspaw wrote:I decided it was time to read "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen again. :inlove: It's one of my all-time favourites, and I kept thinking about it, so I'm reading through again. Yay! \:D/
I love Pride and Prejudice!!

I finished Song of Redemption on Monday, excellent book. I am enjoying that series very much. I am now reading Promise to Keep by Elizabeth Byler Younts. It is the third and final book in her Promise of Sunrise trilogy, very good so far.
Lizzy88
OK

Post by Lizzy88 »

I have finished reading:
7 Men and the Secret of Their Greatness (Eric Metaxas)
7 Women and the Secret of Their Greatness (same)
Prepared for a Purpose (Marie Tuff)
and God's Double Agent (Bob Fu)
All of which I got for Christmas! Yayyyy! *happy dance*
And I have another with which I'm halfway finished -- and a gift certificate for my favorite book store!
(I am VERY excited at the possibilities :D)
Last edited by Lizzy88 on Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
On the Soda Shoppe I am HomeschoolCowgirl. On the Chat I am TheStepHat. Does that help ya?
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Promise to Keep, excellent book. I'm sorry to see that series end. Hopefully Ms. Younts will continue writing as she has become a favorite. I am now reading The Mistress of Tall Acre by Laura Frantz, very good so far.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

Isaiah the Ox wrote:I'm about halfway through Caught, by Margaret Peterson Haddix. It's the fifth book in her Missing series, which is about *spoilers* and is mostly historical fiction. ;) This time, the main characters meet Albert Einstein and his first wife, Mileva. It's really cool, because two years ago I wrote a 15 page paper on Einstein, so I know a lot of what's going on. ^_^
I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it! The Missing Series is my favorite book series, and Haddix my favorite author. I'm a bit sad the series is over now, but she's releasing the first book in a new series tomorrow, so that's cool! \:D/ It's called Under Their Skin, and it's my next reading endeavour.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

I am currently reading A Hero for WondLa, the second book in a series, by Tony DiTerlizzi, Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll, and Rare Books Uncovered by Rebecca Rego Barry. I'm enjoying them all immensely.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Mistress of Tall Acre by Laura Frantz, very good. I am now reading The Haven by Suzanne Woods Fisher. It is the second book in her Stoney Ridge Seasons trilogy. Excellent so far.
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

I started reading The Candlestone from the Dragons in Our Midst series by Bryan Davis. But only because I was in a place with no wifi and I have the book on my phone. =p
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Haven this morning, excellent. I'm now reading Meek and Mild by Olivia Newport. It is the second book in her Amish Turns of Time series.
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

Just finished Emma by Jane Austen, it was amazing, so much better than Sense and Sensibility, and almost on par with Pride and Prejudice.

Currently reading the Civil War comic saga, and still working on Rare Books Uncovered.

About to start Black Dove, White Raven by Elizabeth Wein, which I'm super pumped about reading, and The Storied Life of AJ Fikry.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Meek and Mild. It was very good although there was a character in it that I took a dislike to. I also finished When I Fall in Love by Susan May Warren, I borrowed it from the library. I'm now reading Currency of the Heart by Loree Lough. It is the first book in her Secrets on Sterling Street trilogy, very good so far.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm about to read "You're the One that I Want" by Susan May Warren. I'm sure that Laurie will want to read it too, since it she just mentioned reading an earlier book in the series. I'm really excited because this is the sixth and final book in the Christiansen Family series, and it looks really good! :D I have to hurry up and read it because I have two friends waiting to borrow it. ;)
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Catspaw wrote:I'm about to read "You're the One that I Want" by Susan May Warren. I'm sure that Laurie will want to read it too, since it she just mentioned reading an earlier book in the series. I'm really excited because this is the sixth and final book in the Christiansen Family series, and it looks really good! :D I have to hurry up and read it because I have two friends waiting to borrow it. ;)
I had checked "When I Fall in Love" out of my local library. I could've read it on my iPhone but decided the book would be easier on my eyes. I bought the last three in the series, so I can read them any time. I'm going to buy the first three in book form just to own the whole series. Susan May Warren is wonderful.
I'm currently reading Amish Promises by Leslie Gould. It is the first book in her Neighbors of Lancaster County series/trilogy. Very good. I will most likely finish it soon.
Last edited by Laurie on Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laurie wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I'm about to read "You're the One that I Want" by Susan May Warren. I'm sure that Laurie will want to read it too, since it she just mentioned reading an earlier book in the series. I'm really excited because this is the sixth and final book in the Christiansen Family series, and it looks really good! :D I have to hurry up and read it because I have two friends waiting to borrow it. ;)
I had checked "When I Fall in Love" out of my local library. I could've read it on my iPhone but decided the book would be easier on my eyes. I bought the last three in the series, so I can read them any time. I'm going to buy the first three in book form just to own the whole series. Susan May Warren is wonderful.
I'm currently reading Amish Promises by Leslie Gould. It is the first book in her Neighbors of Lancaster County series/trilogy. Very good. I will most likely finish it soon.
Yes, I own all of Susan May Warren's books. Her books are automatically on my "must buy immediately" list. \:D/

I'm reading "The Dragon Rider" by Cornelia Funke. It's one of those books that I'm actually really enjoying, but probably never would have picked up on my own. I'm reading it with/to a twelve-year-old who loves dragons, so it's taking a while to get through because we're reading out loud. It's an interesting story for anybody interested in children's/young adult literature with fantastical creatures. :D
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I'm reading two books, which is something that I normally find hard to do and don't do very often. I'm reading Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas and Hope Harbor by Irene Hannon. I am enjoying both immensely. I read the Bonhoeffer book during the day and Irene Hannon in the evening. Hope Harbor is my first time reading Irene Hannon.
Last edited by Laurie on Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Wow, if I was you, I would be reading two books at the same time too! That Bonhoeffer book is a big one! :mad: It's on my list of books to read. I got as far as buying it, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. My dad read it, so at least it got some use. ;) I've heard that it's really good, but it's such a long book that I keep thinking that there will be a better time to start it. I probably should follow your example, Laurie, and read it and another book at the same time.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Catspaw wrote:Wow, if I was you, I would be reading two books at the same time too! That Bonhoeffer book is a big one! :mad: It's on my list of books to read. I got as far as buying it, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. My dad read it, so at least it got some use. ;) I've heard that it's really good, but it's such a long book that I keep thinking that there will be a better time to start it. I probably should follow your example, Laurie, and read it and another book at the same time.
The Bonhoeffer book is 500 plus pages. I'm about halfway through. With all of the books (fiction and non fiction) I have I should be reading two (or more) books at once. Now that I'm reading the Bonhoeffer book and a fiction title I'm starting to re think what I've always said about not being able to. Apparently I can. \:D/

I finished the Irene Hannon book last night, a very good book. I've found yet another author to add to my ever growing list. At least I like her romances, I have not read her suspense novels yet. I am now reading The Midwife's Choice by Delia Parr. It is the second book in her At Home in Trinity trilogy.
Last edited by Laurie on Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:11 am, edited 4 times in total.