What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished the Delia Parr book, excellent. For a while I was torn between checking the second title out of the library or waiting for the Bethany House edition. I decided to wait. I have plenty of books to keep me busy until December.
Right now I am reading (and will finish soon) Beyond all Dreams by Elizabeth Camden. Very good as it gives you a kind of behind the scenes view of Congress and the Library of Congress in 1897-8.
Last edited by Laurie on Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Alas, Babylon. Aside from some rather disappointing typos it's an interesting read.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Beyond All Dreams last night, very good. I enjoy Elizabeth Camden. I am now reading The Rescued by Marta Perry. It is the second book in her Keepers of the Promise trilogy. Very good so far,
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Currently reading "It's Kind of A Funny Story" by Ned Vizzini. I'm a slow reader these days, so I've only started it, but it's interesting to say the least.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm well on my way through "The Huntress of Thornbeck Hall" by Melanie Dickerson. It's kind of a medieval version of Robin Hood and Swan Lake mashed up in 1300's Germany. If that didn't quite makes sense but you're intrigued, I recommend you read the book yourself! :D I'm not quite done the book yet, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't seem to be connected to her previous books, though that could still change!
Pianoman
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Pianoman »

Jesus' Princess wrote:Alas, Babylon. Aside from some rather disappointing typos it's an interesting read.
Oooh, Alas, Babylon! That was an interesting book...it took me a while to understand what was happening, but it was a great book nonetheless. ;) I don't remember any typos though... :/ What did you think of the ending (as in the last page)?
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm starting "A Worthy Pursuit" by Karen Witemeyer. I've loved all of her previous books, so I'm expecting to enjoy this one a lot! :D I love it when my favourite authors have new books available...until the book is done and I think about how long I have to wait until the next new book by that author. ;)
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

I am not "reading" per say but autobooks are close. I am finally finishing up the Divergent series. Actually, really like the third book so far because it asks some good philosophical questions in regards to the meaning of humanity.
Caitie
Processing

Post by Caitie »

I haven't had much time to read but since summer is just now starting, summer reading will also be starting \:D/ I just finished reading Divergent and I really did enjoy it, although I would not put it on my top 20 all time favorite books I've ever read O:) (Blitz would smash me if he heard that...) :lol:
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Isaiah the Ox wrote:
Jesus' Princess wrote:Alas, Babylon. Aside from some rather disappointing typos it's an interesting read.
Oooh, Alas, Babylon! That was an interesting book...it took me a while to understand what was happening, but it was a great book nonetheless. ;) I don't remember any typos though... :/ What did you think of the ending (as in the last page)?
Well I'm a stickler for proper word use, and I noticed multiple places where it said "now" instead of "know" or "women" instead of "woman", things like that ;)

As for the ending, I actually really liked it. What about you?
Pianoman

Post by Pianoman »

Jesus' Princess wrote:
Isaiah the Ox wrote:
Well I'm a stickler for proper word use, and I noticed multiple places where it said "now" instead of "know" or "women" instead of "woman", things like that ;)

I liked the ending mostly, that they were able to live without electricity, etc, and didn't need "rescued." I did think it was a little odd...
...that there was an "emphasis" on the fact that US beat the Russians, and that the other "side" was much more devastated. It rather saddened me more than making me feel encouraged... =/
Last edited by Pianoman on Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Rescued by Marta Perry. Excellent book that kept me turning the pages. My only regret is that I have to wait until April of 2016 to read the final book.:( Up next for me is Keepers of the Covenant by Lynn Austin. It is the second book in her Restoration Trilogy.
Last edited by Laurie on Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Isaiah the Ox wrote:
Jesus' Princess wrote:
Isaiah the Ox wrote:

I liked the ending mostly, that they were able to live without electricity, etc, and didn't need "rescued." I did think it was a little odd...
...that there was an "emphasis" on the fact that US beat the Russians, and that the other "side" was much more devastated. It rather saddened me more than making me feel encouraged... =/
I thought what the author was trying to emphasize was that
it didn't really matter. America may have "won" but the world was devastated in the process, so whether we won or not, everyone still had to deal with the consequences of nuclear war
It was sobering though, I agree.
Pianoman

Post by Pianoman »

Ooooooooooh. That does make sense. :yes: (sorry, I'm not the best at interpreting books. :P Plus, it was the last book I had to read for the school year, so I may have skimmed. :- ) Thanks for changing my interpretation of it. ;)
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Isaiah the Ox wrote:Ooooooooooh. That does make sense. :yes: (sorry, I'm not the best at interpreting books. :P Plus, it was the last book I had to read for the school year, so I may have skimmed. :- ) Thanks for changing my interpretation of it. ;)
Heh, it happened to be the last book I had to read for the school year as well :P
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm just starting "As Love Blooms" by Lorna Seilstad. It's the third (and final) book in her Gregory Sisters series. I really enjoyed the first two books, and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Keepers of the Covenant, excellent book, I only have to wait until October for the final book in the trilogy. Up next for me is Out of the Ruins by Karen Barnett. First time reading this author.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm reading "From the Start" by Melissa Tagg. I really enjoyed her previous two books, and this one is really interesting so far as well! I was trying to decide which book to read next, and I picked this one because I have a friend who wants to borrow some books, but she only reads contemporary books, not historical, so I figured I would quickly read this and pass it on to her.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Out of the Ruins last night, excellent book set around the 1906 earthquake in San Francisco. Up next for me is The Last Heiress by Mary Ellis.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laurie, I just looked up "Out of the Ruins," since you have such good taste in books, and it sounds really interesting! I'll have to look for it at my library.

I'm about to start "The Wrangler's Inconvenient Wife" by Lacy Williams. Not heavy reading ;) but it looks like it should be fun!