What is the purpose of art?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

"Business box," I like it. \:D/ I'm probably gonna steal that for the future.

I've never actually taken one of those tests - are there any good ones available on the internet, for free?
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

See, one message I don't think is gotten across enough is this: You don't have to understand art the same way the artist does. In fact, you don't even have to "understand" it at all. People don't want to feel uneducated when they don't "get" an Expressionist/Cubist/abstract piece of art, and then try to force themselves to somehow connect to the piece and wind up being either hopelessly confounded or quite pretentious :p
The fact is, we're not supposed to "get" everything in the sense most people think about it. Life isn't all about getting it.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Jelly wrote:"Business box," I like it. \:D/ I'm probably gonna steal that for the future.

I've never actually taken one of those tests - are there any good ones available on the internet, for free?
Yeah, all the ones I've taken were just free, online tests. I wonder about the validity of them, but considering they all gave me virtually identical results, I'd say they're reliable enough. :mrgreen:
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I thought this one was an interesting brain hemisphere test- http://en.sommer-sommer.com/braintest/
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

That one is a good one if you want the quick solution. However, because it uses the results of only a handful of tests (only one time each), it is far from reliable (however, it did give me 57% left, 43% right, so it's congruent with the rest of my results).
The best way to take these tests would be to take as many as you can, several times each, and then average the results... Or just pay for one of those "professional" tests, and spend weeks in some shrink's waiting room, just so he can tell you that you need a daily prescription of 90-bucks-per-dose rat poison to keep from going off the deep end. The choice is yours. :mrgreen:
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I'm not a huge fan of those tests. I think most people probably come out between 40-60 or so.

So if art is not intended to make you understand something, is it intended to make you feel something? Just emotions? Or perhaps emotions about a certain subject that can further your understanding of that subject?
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I'd like to thank you all for your brainwork. As a business student, I don't know the first thing about art or culture or expression. My humanities professor asked us to write a paper defining the meaning and purpose of art, and you all gave me a plethora of ideas. \:D/
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

The ToO: A dating and popular culture site for Christian teens. \:D/
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon