Is it bad to sleep in late?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Is it bad to sleep in late?

Post by American Eagle »

Pretend that there are two guys:

Guy #1: Wakes up at 7AM, goes to school part-time, works for 8 hours, makes time for family and God, eats well, goes to bed at 11PM.
Guy #2: Wakes up at 11AM, works for 8 hours, makes time for family and God, eats well, goes to school part-time, goes to bed at 3AM.

Everyone always says, "early to bed, early to rise...", but I'm not so sure anymore. :-k If I have to stay up late to get something done, I think it's wise to do so.

Play devil's advocate, somebody.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Seeing as how a lot of things you cannot schedule happen in the morning, it's apt to have a "normal" sleep schedule. If you have to get up at 6 AM one day, it throws your circadian rhythms off and takes a few days for you to readjust, you won't sleep normally even if you get 8 hours, there's a ton of things about sleep we don't know, but the optimal light-dark cycle with approximately 8 hours seems to work for the most part. You start losing sleep and your brain will not function at optimal performance, your immune system will not function correctly....blah blah blah you know the deal.

There are studies saying night people tend to have a higher IQ than others, so perhaps you have that going for you and if you can make it work for you without having to constantly throw your cycle off, go for it, but say you wake up early for church or whatnot on a sunday, the next night you're going to be off a little bit... probably not that much, but still, the thing is to keep a steady sleep schedule so if you stay up to 3 AM and wake up at 11 AM, be consistent with it.

I don't practice what I preach however. I'm ridiculously sleep deprived and sometimes rely on caffeine to get through the day. Working and going to school takes so much out of you alone... don't do like me and have one day a week (excluding weekends) where you get up at 11 and the rest of the week you get up at 6:30-7:00. There are a ton of practices to help improve sleep patterns, but it's hard being a student and having a job, just try to make do man.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I used to struggle with insomnia for a while, and on the few days where I actually could sleep properly through the night thrown in with all the days I couldn't I was miserable. Do yourself a favor and push on through- you'll appreciate it in the long run. Just be thankful you're getting a solid eight hours of sleep a night- I'm happy for six.five. :P

Now, having to stay up late sometimes has to be done, but just because you sometimes have to doesn't mean you should make a habit of it all the time. So don't, little boy. *pats head*
Last edited by Termite on Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
godisawesomeness99
Popsicle kid

Post by godisawesomeness99 »

Termite wrote:I used to struggle with insomnia for a while, and on the few days where I actually could sleep properly through the night thrown in with all the days I couldn't I was miserable. Do yourself a favor and push on through- you'll appreciate it in the long run. Just be thankful you're getting a solid eight hours of sleep a night- I'm happy for six.five. :P

Now, having to stay up late sometimes has to be done, but just because you sometimes have to doesn't mean you should make a habit of it all the time. So don't, little boy. *pats head*
YES! I'm smarter than morning people! But I like to be late to sleep, and late to wake up
Daniel- Seattle Pacific University '22
Music is how God speaks to me
I used to be here.... but now I'm probably not.... so yeah
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

I'm not a morning person. I'm a night owl. I stay up to 1:30 usually most nights because that's the only time I can get on the computer. I sleep in to like 8:30 most days. But tomorrow it's 7:30 for me because I work at 8:00. :P
Last edited by Whitty Whit on Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

EK wrote:I don't practice what I preach however. I'm ridiculously sleep deprived and sometimes rely on caffeine to get through the day. Working and going to school takes so much out of you alone... don't do like me and have one day a week (excluding weekends) where you get up at 11 and the rest of the week you get up at 6:30-7:00. There are a ton of practices to help improve sleep patterns, but it's hard being a student and having a job, just try to make do man.
Last year I had to wake up for work at 4AM on Monday's and Friday's and then I slept in until 8AM or later the rest of the week. My sleep cycle was awful, I was always exhausted, so I would agree, being a student and working are really hard to balance, but it is doable.
Honestly, consistency is key.

I am enjoying this year a lot more. I go to bed at around 11, wake up at approximately 6:30-7 and I don't have to drink caffeine regularly like I used to.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

My problem is that my house gets really quiet around 10:00 pm, and it's a perfect environment for studying/working. I usually go to bed around 11:30-12:30 and get up around 7:30, I'm a total night owl, so that works for me. :P The way I look at it, I'm getting the same amount of waking hours as I would if I slept from 9:30-6:30, I'm just more productive :P
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Jesus' Princess wrote:My problem is that my house gets really quiet around 10:00 pm, and it's a perfect environment for studying/working. I usually go to bed around 11:30-12:30 and get up around 7:30, I'm a total night owl, so that works for me. :P The way I look at it, I'm getting the same amount of waking hours as I would if I slept from 9:30-6:30, I'm just more productive :P
I agree with this. xD

Full disclosure...

I stay up all night almost once a week. I cram before an exam and then crash after it. Everyone says that cramming doesn't work, but for some reason, it does for me. I'm passing all of my classes, I haven't missed a day of work and I feel as healthy as ever. Mind you, I had a terrible sleeping schedule during homeschooling too, so maybe I don't know what healthy really feels like.

I don't have insomnia or anything like that. When I lie down in bed, I'm asleep within minutes and I'm out until my alarm wakes me up for school.

Weird.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Mimi
Animatronic

Post by Mimi »

That whole staying up late and cramming for tests works for me too. But then, I forget everything almost right away. :(
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

I am most certainly a night owl. Normal bedtime is 1-2 AM. If I am cram studying it is around 3-4 AM. On MWF I then have to get up at 6:30 but on Tuesday and Thursday I don't have to get up until 9. I work Monday and Tuesday nights until 8, but on the rest of the days I usually come home after school (around 3:30 PM) and I sleep until 8 PM (aka supper time). Then I start my crazy schedule again.

This has bit me once this year in which I stayed upon 'til 4:00 AM (actually getting work done before the deadline) but then I had to get up at 6:30 and go to speech class. I actually did well on the speech because I was so nervous (that I wasn't tired) but the next morning I woke up late and got a Friday School out of the deal (yep I am still in high school).
Mimi
Animatronic

Post by Mimi »

What's a Friday school?