Greetings Aliens

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Whether or not you believe homosexuality is a sin or not does not mean you have the right to be rude to each other. Pulling the mod card here: everyone behave.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

radgeek wrote:
Liz_Horton wrote:The NLT is not an infallable document. Not disputing the verse so much as using an English intupretation as "proof."
This is why I am learning Hebrew and plan to marry a man that knows Greek and forcing my kids to learn Aramaic.
From my experience, the language you use to read Scripture doesn't necessarily make a difference unless you're actually learning to read it in different light. :(
Termite wrote:Whether or not you believe homosexuality is a sin or not does not mean you have the right to be rude to each other. Pulling the mod card here: everyone behave.
I love how the 'mod card' gets pulled out whenever someone is being antagonistic towards the traditional fundamental perspective of a controversial topic, but not when someone is horrifically misusing Scripture to encourage condemnation and blatant negativity. >_>
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

What card were you playing when you told Shakespeare to leave the forum?

He has the right to tactfully quote any portion of scripture he likes. He didn't even comment on it. If you are offended by the Old Testament, there are plenty of venues on the internet where you can share that hatred. You can even disapprove of the Bible here, but you cannot ridicule a younger member for following it.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Define 'tact'. ;) I define a harmful misuse of Scripture with a whistling "sorry to burst your bubble" smiley as arrogance.

Don't do this "if you are offended by the old testament" stuff man. You know better than that. I realize your primary concern is defending the innocence of the ToO or whatever, but you should know where to draw the line before you start encouraging falsehood. How dare you accuse me of expressing hatred towards the Bible, or even trying to 'disprove' it. Your assumptions are harmful.
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Jelly wrote:
Termite wrote:Whether or not you believe homosexuality is a sin or not does not mean you have the right to be rude to each other. Pulling the mod card here: everyone behave.
I love how the 'mod card' gets pulled out whenever someone is being antagonistic towards the traditional fundamental perspective of a controversial topic, but not when someone is horrifically misusing Scripture to encourage condemnation and blatant negativity. >_>
One thing you forgot to note is that I said everyone. If someone misuses Scripture I can't stop them... however, he didn't misuse Scripture in order to be rude or belittle. It was his opinion so he said it. It's one thing to state an opinion no matter how much it's disagreed with and another to be outright rude about it. That's where the line has to be drawn.

I've had many a conversation with people about different facets of Christianity that we may or may not agree on; discussions are good. Being a jerk is not. No matter what people say, your response is to what you're held accountable. Even if you don't like what someone said that's no excuse for anyone to be a jerk, Jelly.

And while pulling one OT Scriptures without the NT agreeing isn't a solid base for doctrine, I can't push the mod card on someone's opinion. We're all allowed our opinions; it's the expression of such opinions where I choose to put my foot down. He pulled a verse out of Leviticus because he thought it was a solid defense. He wasn't hurtful with it. Your response to him was.

EDIT: And that's my opinion, ftr. Circles. Gotta love 'em. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Termite wrote:He pulled a verse out of Leviticus because he thought it was a solid defense. He wasn't hurtful with it.
With all due respect Termite, you're wrong. The Bible is a dangerous tool, especially in a place like this. Christians are often told that the Bible is infallible truth.. and they're not really told anything else about it. With a mindset like that, it's easy to use Scripture verses as trump cards for winning arguments, blatantly misunderstanding proper conduct, context, or even the nature of truth itself. For someone who is questioning their sexual identity in a Christian environment, that kind of mindset is absolutely hostile. I will not choose to tolerate it, because it is the opposite of truth.
Last edited by jelly on Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Having grown up conservative Christian with certain passages being misused in such a fashion as earlier in this thread, I can tell you it is very harmful indeed. I entered into an abusive relationship as a direct result of the misuse of scripture by those around me. While that situation is unrelated I think the point is the same: The Bible is both a useful tool when applied properly and a dangerous weapon when removed from understanding and context. It's important to realize that no matter what your position on various issues.
Last edited by Kait on Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Jelly wrote:Define 'tact'. ;) I define a harmful misuse of Scripture with a whistling "sorry to burst your bubble" smiley as arrogance.

Don't do this "if you are offended by the old testament" stuff man. You know better than that. I realize your primary concern is defending the innocence of the ToO or whatever, but you should know where to draw the line before you start encouraging falsehood. How dare you accuse me of expressing hatred towards the Bible, or even trying to 'disprove' it. Your assumptions are harmful.
I will publically revoke my comments about how you feel about the Old Testament. I don't know if you think it's nonsense or if you love it. Sorry. I should not put words into your mouth.

However, you still cannot tell Shakespeare to leave because he used the Bible in a way that you deem insensitive. Lena said that homosexuality is not a sin, and Shakespeare directly quoted a verse of the Bible that called it sin. He didn't condemn Lena or judge her; he simply answered her claim. You don't have the right to call him offensive things like "legalistic", and you cannot tell him that he is unwelcome here. That's unacceptable. You and I said far more arrogant things when we were 14.

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

I haven't read most of the posts here on the fourth page of this thread, but let me say this: first, I agree with Kait. I've seen firsthand how harmful religion (christianity especially) can be, especially when verses are taken out of context and thrown around like bombs, with little to no thought concerning the other, non-religious person's feelings.

Secondly, Shakespeare can quote all the verses he wants. I don't believe the bible, and never will. Therefore, using a bible verse to prove to me that my opinion and beliefs are wrong is absolutely inane. It would be the same as if I tried using the koran to disprove your beliefs.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

American Eagle wrote:I will publically revoke my comments about how you feel about the Old Testament. I don't know if you think it's nonsense or if you love it.
I love it. It's only nonsense when it gets used for something it's not meant for, e.g. religious condemnation in the context of Western Christianity.

I appreciate the apology, though. :)
American Eagle wrote:You and I said far more arrogant things when we were 14.
Guilty as charged. :( I even remember the times that I decided to 'leave' because my arrogance wasn't being taken well, and I felt bullied. Eventually, however, I became open to learn.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I understand. Let me put it this way then: he didn't mean to be hurtful. Everyone has some growing up to do in realizing what to say, how to say it... but jumping on each other over a mistake doesn't help. *shrug* That's the lesson to be learned by us all... anyway.

Heh. You both were such dorks back then. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I'm still wondering how Jelly grew out of it. \:D/

darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I think it has something to do with Canada. :-k
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

American Eagle wrote:I'm still wondering how Jelly grew out of it. \:D/
I think it started with a grape.
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

OF WRATH.
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

CONTROVERSY!!!! I want a slice!

Homosexuality is a thing that exists.

Pants! I've become uncontroversial.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

EK! WHERE IS MY LIKE BUTTON?? 31899's post deserves it. :noway:
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
ique
Found

Post by ique »

radgeek wrote:This is why I am learning Hebrew and plan to marry a man that knows Greek and forcing my kids to learn Aramaic.
YES.
radgeek
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by radgeek »

darcie wrote:EK! WHERE IS MY LIKE BUTTON?? 31899's post deserves it. :noway:
I donate to like posts.
I have the best signature ever!

ToO mother of Merlin J. Marvin, iluvsns, ric, TKD, Alyssa, Garrett, ID4J and Monty and the other siblings that I've yet to find. ToO sister of Whitty Whit.

In the market for a Reformers Unanimous Signature Banner

Blitz: You Americans are lost. As missionaries, we generally hate stereotypes.
Jelly: Was this meant to be ironic? ;)