Greetings Aliens

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

We could call it Impolite Company. \:D/
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

@Blitz: If I openly admitted it on a public forum, how exactly can it be blackmail ;)? I'll also take your last sentence as a compliment =D.

@Jelly: Blitz means that the 'temptation' isn't the sin, it's the actual ACT of giving in to the temptation; also, that the temptation to go and be with someone of the same sex is no worse than the temptation to steal things. Somehow, anything pertaining to homosexuality is looked at as 100% evil and vile, moreso than any other sins. I find it hysterical, since the bible didn't put any rankings on 'sin'.. it just called everything that we're NOT supposed to do 'sin'. There was no, "Now the WORST sins ye can commit are as follows: etc... etc.... And for committing THOSE sins ye shalt be condemned to the HOTTEST fires of hell and feel like thine eyes art being gouged out every hour.'' verse in the Bible ;).

The problem is, homosexuality isn't a sin at all, but then again I don't believe in sin, heaven or hell, or the bible, so debating whether or not homosexuality is any worse of a 'sin' than lying, for instance, would be completely futile.

Also... I love your liberal scale idea. VERY modern :yes:.

@OTR: YAY!! You're still on here!! How are you, love :)? Yes.. I've changed a lot since I was last active on here.

@Liz_Horton: It's definitely nice to have some people on here who agree with me :).

@Jonathan: You perceive me inaccurately. I'm not personally attacking anyone or trying to insult any particular member (i.e. 'treat them rudely'). All I do is state my opinion frankly. How the users here on the ToO want to take my wording is completely up to them. If you don't like what I have to say, don't read my posts. There's nothing wrong with controversy, and I'm not parading around another religion, either- simple the absence of religion entirely ;).

AND YAH: We could call it Impolite Company \:D/.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I didn't say what my perception was; I was merely commenting on what others had said and I gave my opinion on what would lead to a banning.

Though, for the record, there is a difference between frankly and rudely.
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

I will admit I have no tact.
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

For the record, peeps, I was calling I&L a jerk... As a joke because she and I share sarcasm. I was not implying she should be banned.

Man, this got serious way too quickly for me.
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Baragon wrote:Man, this got serious way too quickly for me.
No need to beat around the bush.

Oh yeah.. I guess you're not a fan of conversations getting serious too quickly. :anxious:
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Jelly wrote:The ToO should have a Liberal Scale. It should go right above the avatar, just below the rank. We'd each be required to solve a series of ethical dilemmas in a mandatory quiz, which would then determine the appropriate percentage of Liberal for each user.

Imagine the benefits. We would suddenly be able to judge the people we interact with based solely on their Liberal Scale. Heck, why doesn't real life just have a Liberal Scale!
It could be a bar graph. Makes about as much sense as identifying what your beliefs are in your profile. I'm still weirded out by that addition here. :anxious:
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

I say that's the best idea Jelly has ever had. \:D/

Certainly better than a certain "like" button that never happened. :-'
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Tyler's fault. -_-
radgeek
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by radgeek »

Iron and Light wrote:
radgeek wrote:Ex-gay here. Though I do clarify that I don't believe that temptation for the same sex is wrong. :roll: Its the only temptation that gets special treatment...
Well I'm very happy for you that jesus could cure you :).
Unpopular option: He didn't! I wanted to join the Coast Guard (DSDT and all) and knew enough psychology to be dangerous to myself and used a method I don't recommend now. It didn't submit my sexual behavior to God and made it difficult to be friends with women until I could get real help.
Blitz wrote:*Shuffles another file away in rad`s blackmail box.*
Your brother was asking me why I hide being ex-gay in real life like it was a crime. This is why. I thought J would have told you since we did meet. I'll have to give you my testimony since your brother didn't. Nothing about nothlets will be included.
Jelly wrote:
radgeek wrote:Ex-gay here. Though I do clarify that I don't believe that temptation for the same sex is wrong. :roll: Its the only temptation that gets special treatment...
Please.. explain?

No seriously. I want to know what this means.
I&L got it right.
Jelly wrote:The ToO should have a Liberal Scale. It should go right above the avatar, just below the rank. We'd each be required to solve a series of ethical dilemmas in a mandatory quiz, which would then determine the appropriate percentage of Liberal for each user.

Imagine the benefits. We would suddenly be able to judge the people we interact with based solely on their Liberal Scale. Heck, why doesn't real life just have a Liberal Scale!
You had me with this idea until the judging. Then again y'all would have known I wasn't joking about the burkini if y'all saw mine.
Iron and Light wrote:@Blitz: If I openly admitted it on a public forum, how exactly can it be blackmail ;)? I'll also take your last sentence as a compliment =D.
I thought blitz was going to blackmail me. The closted girl with extreme fundamentalist around her.
I have the best signature ever!

ToO mother of Merlin J. Marvin, iluvsns, ric, TKD, Alyssa, Garrett, ID4J and Monty and the other siblings that I've yet to find. ToO sister of Whitty Whit.

In the market for a Reformers Unanimous Signature Banner

Blitz: You Americans are lost. As missionaries, we generally hate stereotypes.
Jelly: Was this meant to be ironic? ;)
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

Hey I&L, it's great to see you again! May you stick around long and wreak havoc on conservative opinions and beliefs. \:D/
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

HEY IRON AND LIGHT...

shut up.
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

@radgeek: That sounds unhealthy, but whatever floats your boat.
Smaug the Dragon wrote:Hey I&L, it's great to see you again! May you stick around long and wreak havoc on conservative opinions and beliefs. \:D/
I will! I really, really will \:D/.
EK wrote:HEY IRON AND LIGHT...

shut up.
Yah.. no :<.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

Iron and Light wrote:The problem is, homosexuality isn't a sin at all, but then again I don't believe in sin, heaven or hell, or the bible, so debating whether or not homosexuality is any worse of a 'sin' than lying, for instance, would be completely futile.
Leviticus 18:22, NLT wrote:"Do not practice homosexuality; it is a detestable sin."
:-
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Liz_Horton
Animatronic

Post by Liz_Horton »

The NLT is not an infallable document. Not disputing the verse so much as using an English intupretation as "proof."
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Please.. don't. A legitimate discussion about homosexuality is one thing, hiding behind an obscure passage of ancient Biblical text is not appropriate. If you understood anything about context, history, even theology, you wouldn't quote a verse from Leviticus as if you were laying down a trump card. Your attitude is insensitive and, frankly, not Christian in the slightest. Please take your legalistic attitude elsewhere.
Last edited by jelly on Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radgeek
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by radgeek »

Liz_Horton wrote:The NLT is not an infallable document. Not disputing the verse so much as using an English intupretation as "proof."
This is why I am learning Hebrew and plan to marry a man that knows Greek and forcing my kids to learn Aramaic.
I have the best signature ever!

ToO mother of Merlin J. Marvin, iluvsns, ric, TKD, Alyssa, Garrett, ID4J and Monty and the other siblings that I've yet to find. ToO sister of Whitty Whit.

In the market for a Reformers Unanimous Signature Banner

Blitz: You Americans are lost. As missionaries, we generally hate stereotypes.
Jelly: Was this meant to be ironic? ;)
Liz_Horton
Animatronic

Post by Liz_Horton »

radgeek wrote:
Liz_Horton wrote:The NLT is not an infallable document. Not disputing the verse so much as using an English intupretation as "proof."
This is why I am learning Hebrew and plan to marry a man that knows Greek and forcing my kids to learn Aramaic.
I knew there was a reason I like you...

Double post fixed. -snubs
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

Totally, acting like a troll here because I have not read this entire thread but just the last couple of posts but isn't this usually something discussed in the Debate society or at the very least a Ask (Iron and Light) thread. Neither of which are in the Finneman's Market.
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

Stop Wooton' Around wrote:Totally, acting like a troll here because I have not read this entire thread but just the last couple of posts but isn't this usually something discussed in the Debate society or at the very least a Ask (Iron and Light) thread. Neither of which are in the Finneman's Market.
Nope \:D/.

The other posts in this thread regarding homosexuality being a 'sin' by referencing a verse from Leviticus.. and making our kids learn Aramaic.. yeah, I'm sorry. They don't even merit responses. I completely agree with Jelly's post.