People Love to Talk About Themselves

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Humby
Tallying up

People Love to Talk About Themselves

Post by Humby »

Have you ever noticed that, for the most part, the most popular topics are when people are asked about themselves? People love to talk about themselves. It seems to be in our nature and what we know how to do best in the chat room. I imagine I've offended a few souls with my statement, if anyone should happen to read it.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Humby wrote:Have you ever noticed that, for the most part, the most popular topics are when people are asked about themselves? People love to talk about themselves. It seems to be in our nature and what we know how to do best in the chat room. I imagine I've offended a few souls with my statement, if anyone should happen to read it.
I think the reason those topics are popular isn't because people enjoy talking about themselves, but because people enjoy learning about others.

I mean, if I enjoy talking about myself so much, why would I take the time to ask someone else a question about themselves?
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

There is one flaw with your hypothesis. I'm not saying you're wrong: people do like talking about themselves, but in every forum, there are threads designed to last. Many topics don't fade simply because they are easy to post in. It is simple to post about an occurrence in your life, post a recent picture of yourself, and even make a list of things about yourself. But in a majority of these topics, posts about oneself are followed up with 3-5 posts commenting on THAT post. The most popular topics, by which I assume you are referring to those with the most posts, have not only been around longer, they also are really made to last. A topic about a particular AIO episode, a recent movie, or a particular world event will soon exhaust discussion. These most popular topics will not, because people are dynamic, so there can always be something new to say. I would alter what you are saying to be more like "People are too lazy to add to discussion" then "People love to talk about themselves".
It's been awhile, hasn't it?
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I don't know what you're talking about, but I don't make all topics about myself. I mean, I do like to talk about myself because I have so much to say. But I try to at least ask about how other people feel about me too. :noway:
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Humby
Tallying up

Post by Humby »

Monty wrote: I would alter what you are saying to be more like "People are too lazy to add to discussion" then "People love to talk about themselves".
When I say people love to talk about themselves it's what I mean. No, it's not always chronic, but it can be rather amusing at times how much pointless information is posted.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

darcie wrote:I don't know what you're talking about, but I don't make all topics about myself. I mean, I do like to talk about myself because I have so much to say. But I try to at least ask about how other people feel about me too. :noway:
*like*
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

"Enough talking about me, what do you think about me?"
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

I think people talk about themselves the most because that is what we believe we understand the best. I like to read how other people's lives are going on the Life, life thread.

The concept of blogs and more recently vlogs is all about people telling about themselves and we as human beings find it fascinating to know that other people are just like us or different from us (most often both).

*On a side note: What would the ToO be without pointless information?* *horrendous gasp*
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Marvin D. wrote:"Enough talking about me, what do you think about me?"
Win.

Yeah, I catch myself talking about myself a lot on the ToO. I oftentimes post stuff about my feelings that not even my family knows. We probably all have a few posts in CCDS that our parents wouldn't approve of. :- On the ToO, I can talk about my budding goatee and everyone thinks I'm a well-bearded man. In real life, my friends just laughed and called it peach fuzz. :( On the internet, you can be anyone you want to be, but only if you talk about yourself.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Benefits of allowing forums to make up the core part of your social life:

a.) You're allowed--nay, encouraged--to talk about yourself endlessly. The internet is all about sharing personal information, after all. :-
b.) You don't have to shave your [insert culturally unacceptable body hair here] in order to talk to your internet friends. \:D/ #problemsofafirstworldsasquatch

Online, sharing yourself is what helps to form connections, because here we're all essentially strangers with blank slates--we are who we say we are, for all intents and purposes, so we're not anybody until we starting giving out details. In the real world, adversely, a lot more of who you are speaks for itself, and so out there the best way to make people like you is to ask lots of non-annoying questions and to be a good listener, because unlike us enlightened forum folk, people in the tangible world need to be gifted with specific opportunities to talk about themselves if they don't want to come off as self-absorbed.
Last edited by Amethystic on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Drew
Lurker

Post by Drew »

Thank you,Humby! I completely agree with you :D
Sunshine
Smile for the camera

Post by Sunshine »

Amethystic wrote:Online, sharing yourself is what helps to form connections, because here we're all essentially strangers with blank slates--we are who we say we are, for all intents and purposes, so we're not anybody until we starting giving out details.
She does have a good point.

I mean, I'm normally quiet in real life (except at home sometimes... :incnt: ), but people can still kind of get to know me just by seeing how I dress, my behavior, the way I act towards other people and my family members, and by listening to my few comments every now and then. But on the ToO, it's completely different. I may still not have a ton to say, but you don't necessarily know that I look forward to getting on here each day, and I hang around reading the topics. For all you know, maybe I barely make time to log on here, write people a quick happy birthday every now and then, and comment on a few of the most popular topics, just to let you know that I haven't forgotten you all. ;)
My point being (besides the fact that I just wrote a whole paragraph about myself ;) ), while I'm not trying to hide my whole personal identity from people on here, if I don't comment a lot, and let people get to know me, then you may never really know who I am, other than a random person who's been on the ToO for over two years. ;)

But back to the main point: yes, people do like to talk about themselves. It's undeniable for the most part.
Last edited by Sunshine on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metal15
Tallying up

Post by Metal15 »

I know it. O_O Talking about myself is SUPER easy, and it's difficult(at least for me) to listen about other peoples problems sometimes...But I make an effort to. :)