What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

Musical Shutterbug wrote:
Woody wrote:
Buzz wrote:I'm reading the first Harry Potter book. So far so good! :)
DON'T DO IT, BUZZ!
...what's wrong with Harry Potter? :-k
IT IS EVIL!!! :x
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laura Ingalls wrote:
Catspaw wrote:"Breathe" by Lisa T. Bergren. It's the first of a three-book series (that are all out already - just the way I like to read!) and it's really captured my attention. It takes place in Colorado Springs in the late 1800s and it's a great historical novel so far. :D
I looked it up at my library and they have it! \:D/ I just put it on hold... O:)
Sounds good! I hope you enjoy it. I read the second one, "Sing," and it was also really good, and I'm about to start the third one, entitled "Claim." I can't start it tonight, though, because then I'll be up all night reading! :mad:
Arkán Dreamwalker
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Arkán Dreamwalker »

Woody wrote:
Woody wrote:
DON'T DO IT, BUZZ!
I had heard that Harry Potter was really bad, and that is why I have never read it or watched the movies, however, after some research, it seems that the Harry Potter books are basically fine, it's just that some people that have had occult experiences are worried that the books including actual occult practices and procedures can influence young readers the wrong way, by associating the real occult evil procedures with non-existent, "good", "white" magic.
~ Walker in Dreams
Taps

Post by Taps »

Arkán Dreamwalker wrote:
Woody wrote:
Woody wrote:
DON'T DO IT, BUZZ!
I had heard that Harry Potter was really bad, and that is why I have never read it or watched the movies, however, after some research, it seems that the Harry Potter books are basically fine, it's just that some people that have had occult experiences are worried that the books including actual occult practices and procedures can influence young readers the wrong way, by associating the real occult evil procedures with non-existent, "good", "white" magic.
I own all the books and movies, and am a devout Christian. To me it's no worse than Narnia or LOTR, but I doubt we should get into that now. Anyway keep reading Buzz! They are excellent books!
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Taps wrote:
Arkán Dreamwalker wrote:
Woody wrote:
Woody wrote:
DON'T DO IT, BUZZ!
I own all the books and movies, and am a devout Christian. To me it's no worse than Narnia or LOTR, but I doubt we should get into that now. Anyway keep reading Buzz! They are excellent books!
I don't think there is anything wrong with Harry Potter. It really isn't bad, Woody. It's just like The Sword in the Stone in a way that it has to do with magic. I haven't been aloud to read the books until now. My parents wanted me to mature in my faith to know this stuff isn't real. But I know that. Just like I know Gandalf isn't real! It's not like: "Oh these spells are going to bring me to the devil, oh my! Oh no! Ahhh! Super flamingos demon lord, I shall serve you!" kind of thing. They're just books, and it's just a imaginative story. :)
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

I just finished "God's Grammar" by Mick Mooney--it was a really, really good book \:D/ Now I need to decide what book to start reading next :p
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished A Heart Made New by Kelly Irvin, it was excellent. Fortunately for me the final book comes out next month so I won't have to wait too long to see what happens next. \:D/ Up next for me is The Tutor's Daughter by Julie Klassen. :D
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I finished Jane Eyre, and started Catching Fire. :) We'll see how this goes..
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

I hope you like it, JP! \:D/

Currently reading Fallen Star. It's. .interesting :p
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

The Guardian, by Dee Henderson. I've read quite a few times before, and I thought I'd pick it up again :)

Till the end of the line.
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Marvin D. wrote:Currently reading Fallen Star. It's. .interesting :p
You're reading it? \:D/ I didn't know that! I finished it several weeks ago...hey, it was free, so why not? :p Interesting is certainly the word for it. I want to know what you think of the ending.
*insert provocative quote here*
Samantha14
All That Is Sam.
All That Is Sam.

Post by Samantha14 »

I'm reading... Oh, Let's see... (These are probably going to sound childish, but, I like them anyways.)
The Anne series. (Anne of Green Gables, Ect.)
Hardy Boys.
Mandie.
Passages.
Rebecka of Sunnybrook Farm.

And, then of course things such as my Bible and Pilgrims Progress. I love to read. *sighs dreamily* =)
merp.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

I'm reading Robinson Crusoe and I just finished reading the Lone Star Ranger. This Robinson Crusoe book I'm reading is really annoying me though! They're spelling all the words wrong (you don't spell lion lyon) and then capitalizing random words in the middle of the sentences. I don't know why. The only word that annoyed me in the Lone Star Ranger was "hoss". It took me a while to realize they meant horse. But this Robinson Crusoe book is way worse than the Lone Star Ranger!!!! I don't now if Daniel Defoe just didn't know how to spell or what.
And I've also been reading my Bible as well.
I love to read, I just wish I had more time.
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

I just finished Catching Fire. Wow, it was intense, but I liked it. The whole
district 13 plot twist at the end was good, and the clock in the arena? I can't wait to see how that's depicted in the movie! The Quarter Quell, everything was good. But now Peeta's in the capitols hands :mad:
I'd say this is my favorite book out of the two I've read. Must get on to Mockingjay now :)
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Jesus' Princess wrote:I just finished Catching Fire. Wow, it was intense, but I liked it. The whole
district 13 plot twist at the end was good, and the clock in the arena? I can't wait to see how that's depicted in the movie! The Quarter Quell, everything was good. But now Peeta's in the capitols hands :mad:
I'd say this is my favorite book out of the two I've read. Must get on to Mockingjay now :)
Aww, I'm so glad that you enjoyed it! :) For Mockingjay, make sure that you have lots of tissues nearby.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Jesus' Princess wrote:I just finished Catching Fire. Wow, it was intense, but I liked it. The whole
Aww, I'm so glad that you enjoyed it! :) For Mockingjay, make sure that you have lots of tissues nearby.
I know, that's what I've heard.... I'm kind of dreading it, because I love most of these characters, but at the same time, I want to see how it all ends.
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Jesus' Princess wrote:
I know, that's what I've heard.... I'm kind of dreading it, because I love most of these characters, but at the same time, I want to see how it all ends.
At the end of Mockingjay, you get this feeling of,"wait, wait! What? This is a terrible resolution! Nooooo! How sad!" But then the realization comes...that the trilogy couldn't really have ended in any other way.
King Herod
Just visiting

Post by King Herod »

Linne wrote:Anne of Green Gables
Picking and choosing my favorite Janette Oke books, now that I finished the Love Comes Softly series.
What'd you think of the LCS series? I've always enjoyed them. Just finished watching the movie series as well. They were good, but quite different from the books and not nearly as interesting.

I recently read a book called "Daughter of Joy" by Kathleen Morgon. It was pretty fantastic, and you can download it for free currently on kindle! Can't beat that.
Woody

Post by Woody »

I'm currently reading "Caught" by Margaret Peterson Haddix. It's book 5 in "The Missing", a series I've been reading lately

And then, I will read "The Fellowship of the Ring" for the first time! :D
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!