So now that Obama's won..

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Mark Prescott
Still standing tall

Post by Mark Prescott »

Laurie wrote:
Mark Prescott wrote:Well, even if you move you still have to pay the Obama care tax.
Not if she moves to Europe. Unless Obama is plotting to take over the world. Which knowing him could happen.
We live in Bermuda, (which is a British colony) and my parents have to pay Obama Care tax.
~Mark Prescott~
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

More like DESTROY than take over imo.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

The Top Crusader wrote:More like DESTROY than take over imo.

Very true.
Last edited by Laurie on Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Ok, so as the election results were coming in, I hastily scribbled a list of places I could move based on pending invites, friends and family or some other place where I could hide out from Obamalypse 2012:

1. England or Scotland: Probably the most likely, the downside of course is that the GBP is up so, even if domestic taxes skyrocket, I'll probably still be earning less and paying more in the UK. Not to mention the council tax. Bonus? They would give me a UK Passport after 5 years. UK Passport = eligibility for SOCIAAL PROGRAMMMMMS and recourse to PUBLIC FUNDS! \:D/

2. Canada: Canada is most likely. All I need is a driver's license, I'll load up the Beetle with as much guns, ammo and canned goods as I can fit, drive across the border and live in my distant cousin's basement in the boonies, while shooting all my food and sewing clothes out of animal skin. Definitely the coolest option so far.

3. Uganda: I have an open invitation to Uganda from one of my classmates which I keep promising to honor, in the same way one promises to honor an earlier statement about going over Niagara Falls in a wooden barrel. Still, the weather is warmer, and I hear that malaria isn't such a big deal once you get used to it. Maybe I can work for the UN or an NGO or something, that would be cool. Also, no way the property taxes are higher, and I hear there is a lot of sunshine. And...giraffes. Actually that's probably just a stereotype like most everything anyone says about Africa ever.

4. India: Apart from the crippling heat, massive congestion, dust storms, traffic and ridiculous bureaucracy brought about by a legacy of British imperialism, India would be pretty sweet. The rupee is on the decline, which means a definite advantage. And with nearly 1.5 billion people, there's no chance anyone is finding you there EVER. Also I could buy like 1,000 bicycles for around $50 which is awesome. I don't even know what I would dp with that many bicycles, but it doesn't matter.

5. Sweden: Sweden would be awesome. I don't even know anyone in Sweden, and they probably wouldn't let me move there unless my name ended in "sen", but I can tack that on and try. Also, apparently it's one of those places where the welfare state is totally thriving, so you'll get all those perks without the madness and outrage associated. Also, apart from that crazy shooting spree, the Norwegian-region folks are pretty chill (no pun intended).

6. Cyprus: Some of my former classmates inherited an olive oil company there. I mean, how cool is that? I know nothing about making olive oil or Cyprus, but I figure if I sort of just show up, they won't send me home. And presumably all the olive oil I can drink!

7. Beruit. Why? BECAUSE NO ONE KNOWS WHERE IT IS. Also, the weather is particularly seasonable this time of year.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Sherlock wrote:Obamalypse 2012:
This literally made me laugh out loud. :hilarious: Obamalypse.. so great. \:D/

Sherlock wrote:2. Canada: Canada is most likely. All I need is a driver's license, I'll load up the Beetle with as much guns, ammo and canned goods as I can fit, drive across the border and live in my distant cousin's basement in the boonies, while shooting all my food and sewing clothes out of animal skin. Definitely the coolest option so far.
I'll come with you if you do this! \:D/ Only I think we should just live in the wilderness as wandering nomads.

Typo fixed. -snubs
Last edited by snubs on Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

snubs wrote:Only I think we should just live in the wilderness as wondering nomads.
...What would we be wondering about?

\:D/
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Sherlock wrote:
snubs wrote:Only I think we should just live in the wilderness as wondering nomads.
...What would we be wondering about?

\:D/
I guess about the Obamalypse. \:D/
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Laurie wrote:It was a joke darcie that's all a simple joke. There is no need to get that upset about a simple joke. Since you are that upset about it have a moderator delete the post.
If you want to say it was a joke, I have no choice but to believe you. But I'd suggest in the future that use implement some sort of way of people knowing you intend your words to be a joke. A winking smiley, a little j/k at the end. If you want people to take you for your word, you need to make it clear when not to do so. Unless you're Top.
;)
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

darcie wrote:
Laurie wrote:It was a joke darcie that's all a simple joke. There is no need to get that upset about a simple joke. Since you are that upset about it have a moderator delete the post.
If you want to say it was a joke, I have no choice but to believe you. But I'd suggest in the future that use implement some sort of way of people knowing you intend your words to be a joke. A winking smiley, a little j/k at the end. If you want people to take you for your word, you need to make it clear when not to do so. Unless you're Top.
;)
Do whatever you want darcie. I have lost interest in this conversation completely and that is not a joke.
Last edited by Laurie on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 7 times in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

I'm staying in the States, possibly moving to Colorado in the next four years, and attending some weddings in Maine and Washington. :) But Beruit sounds awesome this time of year.
Laurie wrote:
darcie wrote:
;)
Do whatever you want darcie. I have lost interest in this conversation completely and that is not a joke.
Because passive aggressive statements are awesome.

:mrgreen:
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

Jelly wrote:
jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:Guam is a part of the US. But you don't get to vote for President because it's not a state. :(
The District of Columbia can vote, but they aren’t a state.
That is correct. It's mostly because Guam and the other territories are treated as colonies, not part of the US.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

I can't move peeps, I have to work even harder now to pay for my healthcare fine that is coming up. SO BE HAPPY YOU CAN AFFORD TO MOVE. :(
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Your job doesn't provide healthcare?
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

darcie wrote:Your job doesn't provide healthcare?
They offer a poor healthcare plan if you are willing to give up about 2/3rds of your pay... so its relatively pointless.
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

The Top Crusader wrote:
They offer a poor healthcare plan if you are willing to give up about 2/3rds of your pay... so its relatively pointless.
And whose fault is that? The business she works for. The government had nothing to do with that, I would like to point out to you conservatives in the audience. ;D
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:
And whose fault is that? The business she works for. The government had nothing to do with that, I would like to point out to you conservatives in the audience. ;D
What if that's the best the company can offer due to restrictions placed by the government or something?

Just pointing that out. :-

(I highly doubt that any company will offer it's employees the best they can do, but I'm pointing out that the company can only do so much because of the government sticking its paws into citizen's (whether the employer or employee) healthcare and economy)
Last edited by Whitty Whit on Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Whitty Whit wrote:
jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:
What if that's the best the company can offer due to restrictions placed by the government or something?

Just pointing that out. :-

(I highly doubt that any company will offer it's employees the best they can do, but I'm pointing out that the company can only do so much because of the government sticking its paws into citizen's (whether the employer or employee) healthcare and economy)
Keep in mind the greedy nature of companies and corporations. Greed is one of humanities most pervasive instincts. We thrive off of accumulating things and lording how many things we have over others. Ever since humans started using agriculture, we've been doing this. That's the reason why government regulations on business are there in the first place, to keep that human greed in check, and make sure real people get real wages. Or try to at least. Sure, some of it may not work, but there are always exceptions.

Let's go back to the Industrial Revolution and see what it was like with no restrictions on business.

Last edited by jasonjannajerryjohn on Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

I really don't watch those videos...

So you're in favor of the governments putting restrictions on business?
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Ya, see, I post videos for a reason. There's actually good information in them, and you might learn something.

But yes, I am in favor of putting restrictions on business like the minimum wage, which should probably be higher, or environmental regulation, so businesses don't completely destroy the only planet we have right now, or labor laws, so that businesses have to have a standard for employee environments, basically so employees can't die on the job. Or minimum age laws, so we don't have child labor. And many other things. No regulation on businesses is not a good thing. There has to be something there to protect all the ordinary people and the environment from our greed.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

The Top Crusader wrote:They offer a poor healthcare plan if you are willing to give up about 2/3rds of your pay... so its relatively pointless.
That's just silly. And interesting since their employment website brags about their benefits.
Whitty Whit wrote:What if that's the best the company can offer due to restrictions placed by the government or something?
I know the company she works for and don't really believe that. They, like so many others, thrive on a part-time employment force that doesn't qualify for benefits while giving their CEO a large pay raise and extensive bonuses. It's the culture of employment these days.