Ask an alcohol-drinking, girl-kissing, pot-smoking Atheist!

Anything you want!

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

Last edited by jasonjannajerryjohn on Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Why do you worship satan?
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
xiao
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by xiao »

ric wrote:What kind of music do you make?
It's very loud, abrasive rock music evocative of color and movement. Influences include pixies, radiohead, nirvana, modest mouse, weezer, death grips, HEALTH, crystal castles, pavement, etc. It's divisive - some love it, others hate it. That's my main project, anyways. On the side I like doing ambient rap beats and electronic stuff as well as orchestral film soundtracks.
ric wrote:What record labels are you in talks with (if you don't mind saying)?
Unfortunately I'm not supposed to say, but I can tell you one of them is a fairly revered UK rock label.
ric wrote:If your life is merely a page in history that will be gone forever, why do you "have to get it as right as you possibly can?" I'm sure it's a question you've heard a lot, but I'd like to hear your personal answer.
While its true that my life is indeed immeasurably small and insignificant in the grand scheme of the universe, it's my belief that our every action affects those around us permanently and shifts the course of human history. Humans base their mindset, decisions and lifestyle partially on their experiences with other people, therefore every interaction you have with someone else is, in a way, shaping their mind, and thus affecting the world as a whole. Especially so if you create something (such as music or film). My goal is to influence and inspire others throughout my actions, personhood, and above all, my creative output.
ric wrote:What do you think of The King of Limbs? Sufjan? Post-rock?
King of Limbs was excellent. Saw them front row in MA just a few months ago, quite an amazing show. Sufjan is also extremely talented. Age of Adz verified him as the musical equivalent of an evil genius. If by post-rock you mean stuff like Sigur Ros, Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed, etc... I love that stuff.
ric wrote:Does marijuana have a stronger effect than alcohol?
That depends on what you mean by "stronger effect." It's an entirely different effect. To me, it feels like being high is an enhanced version of my normal mindstate, whereas being drunk is an altered version - when I'm drunk I'm not fully "me", I'm more prone to do dumber, bolder things and I'm generally in a goofy, good mood. When I'm high, it's just sort of like everything gets enhanced - almost like you're experiencing a clearer version of reality. Colors pop more, music sounds crisper, food tastes richer - it's not something that really incapacitates me like alcohol does. I've done it enough that it doesn't really mentally affect me so much anymore, so I'm not exactly like "woaaaaahh duuude have you ever thought about like.... nachhoooosss maaann" or anything like that. It's just a pleasant experience overall. I greatly prefer marijuana to alcohol.
Jesus' Princess wrote:Okay, do you have medical marijuana license, or do you take it illegally?
By "take it" I assume you mean smoke it, or in my case, vaporize it, and to answer your question, illegally. Although if I lived in a state with medical marijuana I am sure I would be able to get a license for it, as it helps me with my lack of appetite and sleep problems.
Jesus' Princess wrote:Since you don't believe in a god, or anything supernatural or anything, why do you think we're here? What's the purpose of life? or are we simply evolved beings who happened to randomly evolve just right?
That's quite a loaded question. First off I'd like to address your statements about evolution. No evolutionist proposes that we "randomly happened to evolve just right". Evolution is a mind-blowingly slow and complex process that takes place over millions of years. It is a meticulous, gradual shift in gene dominance. If anything, it is much, MUCH less random than the idea that we were just "poofed" into existence by the snap of a divine finger. Also, it could be the subject of much debate that we are evolved "just right". Just right for what? It's a very ignorant, human concept to believe that we are perfectly tailored to this world. We look around and see water we can drink, caves we can take shelter in, trees that can be chopped into wood, and we think, "who tailored this world so perfectly for us?" The reality is that this world seems so well-fit for us because we evolved in it. It is our natural environment and we have adapted to fit it precisely. This is the very definition of evolution. When darwin said "survival of the fittest", he wasn't referring to the most physically dominant, strongest, or any particular trait. He was referring to the species most well-fit to its environment. Secondly, humanity, for whatever reason, desperately craves some sort of devine purpose, although despite much self-deception, none is evident. The need to attribute some broad universal "purpose to life" is both tragically flawed, and irrelevant to my atheism. Life is a profound experience filled with indescribable sensations. It is endlessly intricate. To slap the whole thing with a manmade "PURPOSE" is oversimplifying to a criminal degree. But to answer the question, I believe we have a responsibility to the pursuit of knowledge and the understanding of the universe, as, so far as we know for certain, we may be the only creatures on life capable of doing so.
EK wrote:Who dem boys that be having it crunk every occasion?
This side buddies dustin, that side buddies lacin.
Whitty Whit wrote:I perceive that to mean that you have a more or less dependence on it then... Are you dependent on marijuana? Or do you mean that it's so normal, you don't see or have any problems you could experience with it?
Perhaps coffee wasn't the best example. I am not dependent on marijuana for anything. It's just a nice comfort now and then, sort of like a warm cup of tea on a cold day. It hasn't negatively affected my life in any way.
Last edited by xiao on Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

That's an excellent question, Kait.

Gotta say, I laughed (in only 5% mocking way) at whoever's question about why atheists are on this site. I'm not an atheist per se but I am a very unconvinced agnostic. And when I joined this forum almost 7 years ago to the day, I was a very convinced Christian. People change. People grow up. People learn to make decisions for themselves and don't rely (whether by choice or no) on what their parents tell them to believe. People also have the ability to live without needless guilt.

I also have the ability to live how I live without the need to inflame, provoke, or flaunt it. That's not really a jab at you, Xiao, but sort of it actually is. :P
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
xiao

Post by xiao »

Oba-rai wrote:I also have the ability to live how I live without the need to inflame, provoke, or flaunt it. That's not really a jab at you, Xiao, but sort of it actually is. :P
I don't believe I've been doing anything even remotely of the sort in this thread. The topic title was meant to be humorous. I honestly think this site is full of people who have no idea what atheism is about, no idea how evolution works, no idea what pot does or what its like, no idea WHY they believe they should so strictly repress their sexual urges, and no idea that alcohol can be drinken responsibly, in moderation. therefore.... this topic. \:D/
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

xiao wrote:
Oba-rai wrote:I also have the ability to live how I live without the need to inflame, provoke, or flaunt it. That's not really a jab at you, Xiao, but sort of it actually is. :P
I don't believe I've been doing anything even remotely of the sort in this thread. The topic title was meant to be humorous. I honestly think this site is full of people who have no idea what atheism is about, no idea how evolution works, no idea what pot does or what its like, no idea WHY they believe they should so strictly repress their sexual urges, and no idea that alcohol can be drinken responsibly, in moderation. therefore.... this topic. \:D/
I'm mostly being a wet blanket or a grouchy aunt figure. I tend to agree.
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
xiao

Post by xiao »

Oba-rai wrote:I'm mostly being a wet blanket or a grouchy aunt figure. I tend to agree.
I respect that. Wet blankets and grouchy aunts are an integral shade of the spectrum of humanity. I celebrate their presence. \:D/
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

xiao wrote:
Ya, see that was what my topic several months ago in where was for, educating people. I learned quite awhile ago that having people ask questions is by far the best way to educate. Teach them what they want to know. Of course it doesn't cover things they should probably know but don't want to know, but it's a good start. Of course I didn't talk about pot, sex, or alcohol. I'll just leave that to you. ;D
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Thanks for clarifying that up...

Do you believe that man evolved from a simple form, i.e. a single molecule or protein or something? Basically, I'm asking if we became complex organisms from a simple organism.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
xiao

Post by xiao »

Whitty Whit wrote:Thanks for clarifying that up...

Do you believe that man evolved from a simple form, i.e. a single molecule or protein or something? Basically, I'm asking if we became complex organisms from a simple organism.
Well, not man exclusively, but life, yes. There was original a single-celled organism that all life on earth shares a common ancestry with.

http://www.lucasbrouwers.nl/blog/wp-con ... _large.gif

This chart may help answer your question.
Last edited by xiao on Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

xiao wrote:
Jesus' Princess wrote:Okay, do you have medical marijuana license, or do you take it illegally?
By "take it" I assume you mean smoke it, or in my case, vaporize it, and to answer your question, illegally. Although if I lived in a state with medical marijuana I am sure I would be able to get a license for it, as it helps me with my lack of appetite and sleep problems.
Okay, that is what I meant, sorry for not being clear. You said you have a personal moral code, are you okay with yourself breaking the law in your state, to have a "comfort food" (I know it's not a food, but the idea is the same)
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

xiao wrote:
Whitty Whit wrote: Do you believe that man evolved from a simple form, i.e. a single molecule or protein or something? Basically, I'm asking if we became complex organisms from a simple organism.
Well, not man exclusively, but life, yes. There was original a single-celled organism that all life on earth shares a common ancestry with.
1 billion years from now, will man become a more evolved human-or some other highly evolved creature-because we are constantly becoming more complex?
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Whitty Whit wrote:
xiao wrote:
Whitty Whit wrote: Do you believe that man evolved from a simple form, i.e. a single molecule or protein or something? Basically, I'm asking if we became complex organisms from a simple organism.
1 billion years from now, will man become a more evolved human-or some other highly evolved creature-because we are constantly becoming more complex?
Evolution up until fairly recently has mostly been about survival. Surviving and reproducing. That is the basic aim of all of living things. However in our human history, especially in the past hundred years, we as a species are no longer focused on survival and reproduction. As such evolution goes in a completely different direction. If it was the way it was tens of thousands of years ago, people with things like cancer or people who were obese wouldn't be able to survive. Now I'm glad that's not the way we run our society, however because of this change, evolution will run in a very different way.

Also, I don't think humans will be around in a billion years. I get the feeling we'll kill ourselves off first. I mean, we've been working at killing ourselves for thousands of years, I doubt that will change.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Okay, let me ask this: Will there be a more complex organism (compared to us) 1 billion years from now?
#FOREVERKITTY
xiao

Post by xiao »

Jesus' Princess wrote:Okay, that is what I meant, sorry for not being clear. You said you have a personal moral code, are you okay with yourself breaking the law in your state, to have a "comfort food" (I know it's not a food, but the idea is the same)
Absolutely. The law is a joke - it is in no way rooted in morality or justice. It is a money-making system for the government. I'm not going to do something just because its illegal, but I'm also not going to do something I know to be morally fine just because it's against the law.
Whitty Whit wrote:1 billion years from now, will man become a more evolved human-or some other highly evolved creature-because we are constantly becoming more complex?
Nope - you don't seem to understand the fundamental basics of evolution. Evolution isn't like pokemon - it's not like somebody "gaining" features. It's the gradual death and elimination of everyone who doesn't have them. For example, let's say we're animals living in an environment where most of the food grows on tall trees, so we often only get the rotted and worm-infested leftovers that fall off the tree later in the fruit's life cycle. However, some of us have long enough necks to be able to reach the fruit on the trees. Eventually, all the animals with short-necked genes will die out, leaving only long-necked creatures (giraffes, if you hadn't guessed). This is the process of evolution, and this is why it takes so long - literally entire generations must die before we start seeing some of these changes.

JJJJ answered this pretty well, but humanity is already in a state where we are not immediately threatened by our environment. While some animals would simply die in cold weather, we can skin animals and wear their fur to survive. We have already adapted to the earth. We are already the "fittest". If the environment greatly shifts in the future and we are not able to use our intelligence, scientific and medical remedies to survive, we will again be witnessing phases of rapid species evolution (an evolution that we are not guaranteed to survive)
Whitty Whit wrote:Okay, let me ask this: Will there be a more complex organism (compared to us) 1 billion years from now?
Well, 1 billion years from now...where? On earth? It's possible, but it's also extremely likely there are organisms vastly more complex than ourselves in existence at this current time. Time is relative to distance, so things get a bit complicated when we're talking about solar systems trillions of light years away.
Guess Who!
I'm memorable

Post by Guess Who! »

I also don't really know what you mean by "complex" you mean, like, human? Because bacteria are pretty complex too. In a billion years maybe there will just be bacteria who knows.

HOWEVER, acceptance of evolution is something we share with a WHOLE LOT of Christians and other religious believers, so I dunno how interesting it really is in this context. Go read some science books by religious authors if you must, I am kind of inclined to think you'd be more likely to believe them.
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Whitty Whit wrote:Okay, let me ask this: Will there be a more complex organism (compared to us) 1 billion years from now?
From what I've seen, life in general tends to be very complex. Not just humans. We have the ability to be conscious of what's around us, sure. But that doesn't make us any more complex than other living things.

As an aside, it's kind of cool that the universe evolved something that could be conscious of itself.

Guess Who! wrote:HOWEVER, acceptance of evolution is something we share with a WHOLE LOT of Christians and other religious believers, so I dunno how interesting it really is in this context. Go read some science books by religious authors if you must, I am kind of inclined to think you'd be more likely to believe them.
But please don't read anti-science books like A Beka or Bob Jones. I mean, you can read them if you want, but they're not based in science. They're based in religious beliefs and should definitely not be used as science text books.
Last edited by jasonjannajerryjohn on Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Do you think that humans are inherently good, or inherently evil? Is it possible for everyone to live in peace and harmony with one another?
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Jesus' Princess wrote:Do you think that humans are inherently good, or inherently evil? Is it possible for everyone to live in peace and harmony with one another?
OOOHHHH This is such a good question. I so want to answer it. But I'll let xiao go first cause it's his thread.
xiao

Post by xiao »

Jesus' Princess wrote:Do you think that humans are inherently good, or inherently evil? Is it possible for everyone to live in peace and harmony with one another?
I would argue that there is no global, all-encompassing "good" or "evil", and that they exist only in contexts. So in the context of humanity....

Let's put it this way. I believe morality is an evolutionary trait (more on this here) that is present in almost all living things. Piranhas don't attack each other. Why? Countless animals, such as ants, perform acts of self-sacrifice for the "greater good". Things we define as "good" tend to be things that benefit us as a species, not necessarily as an individual. Things we consider "evil" tend to prioritize our personal individual gains and desires over the survival and well-being of our species. This makes perfect sense in an evolutionary context, and any species without such traits would be unlikely to survive. So back to your question - I don't think they're necessarily either, but I believe most humans tend to lean towards the good side. The problem is, the human world is so complex and intricate, morality starts to become muddled in its complexity.