One Word Posts?

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!

Is the "One Word Post" rule:

Good
73%
Bad
7%
I don't care
20%

Total votes: 15

~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

J-man wrote:
~JCGJ~ wrote: Yes, I apologize for my rudeness, but I am sick and tired of people mocking me when I have something that (I feel) is important to say.

I put up with it too much already.

Please, I want your serious answer to my question.

I just want to know if you are being consistant in your oppinions about the like button.

Thank you for your understanding...
Seriously? I think the rule's fine, provided it's not enforced particularly strictly. If someone's spamming one word posts then sure, put a stop to it, otherwise I don't think it's a big deal, particularly if it's a well known user who is known for doing humorous things *cough*top*cough*. I also fail to see what a like button has to do with this at all...
This thread is actually more about the like button debate, than about one word posts.

I am simply trying to point out the similarities between one word posts (which are against the rules), and a like button (which we are trying to make a reality).

If we allow one, I say we should allow the other.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

J-man wrote:[...I don't think it's a big deal, particularly if it's a well known user who is known for doing humorous things *cough*top*cough*.
See exactly we need to keep our priorities straight.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Of course. ;)

And one word posts =/= liking a post. They're not the same thing.
...I hate marquees.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Ok, then tell me, how are they different?

They are simply two ways to do the same thing: SPAM.

Sure, they have the potential to not be used for spam, but it's utterly rediculous to think that people won't spam.

I just saying that we don't need to give people yet another reason to spam.

If you are utterly lost right now, please, go take a look at the "Like Button" thread, it might clear some things up.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

No, they're not. A post bumps a thread, and can be considered spam if you do it repeatedly to multiple topics and in multiple forums/sub-forums. A like button, when pushed, makes a number beside a post go up. It's not the same thing spam-wise. One can be extremely intrusive to a messageboard, and one can be ignored easily.
...I hate marquees.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

J-man wrote:No, they're not. A post bumps a thread, and can be considered spam if you do it repeatedly to multiple topics and in multiple forums/sub-forums. A like button, when pushed, makes a number beside a post go up. It's not the same thing spam-wise. One can be extremely intrusive to a messageboard, and one can be ignored easily.
=D> This is the counter-argument for the spam argument put perfectly.

I might fire Jelly and hire J-man! \:D/

Or can I do that? :anxious:
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Just make me dictator-for-life. ;)
...I hate marquees.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I think a one-word or few word post can be frowned upon when it doesn't contribute to the discussion. On the other hand, just a smiley or a swift reply can make perfect sense in context. I see no reason to have a hard and fast rule. It is more a guideline than anything. This is a discussion forum; we're meant to discuss things.

On the other hand, with regards to the "like" button concept... Sometimes I want to simply voice support for someone's post or show that I thought something was funny, but I don't want to make a whole reply about it. Without a button, I simply keep the lols to myself. I think adding the button would be another way to show support for others. I don't believe in disliking or downvoting or negative karma. If I don't like or support something, I either need to voice my opinion as to why the poster was wrong or just stick by the "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" rule.
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

EK wrote:I might fire Jelly and hire J-man! \:D/

I do the firing around here. :noway:

J-man, you can be an official consultant, officially. \:D/ You'll earn an official wage and you'll be in charge of many official duties. This is an official offer. I do hope you consider it.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
ique
Found

Post by ique »

darcie wrote: On the other hand, with regards to the "like" button concept... Sometimes I want to simply voice support for someone's post or show that I thought something was funny, but I don't want to make a whole reply about it. Without a button, I simply keep the lols to myself. I think adding the button would be another way to show support for others. I don't believe in disliking or downvoting or negative karma. If I don't like or support something, I either need to voice my opinion as to why the poster was wrong or just stick by the "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" rule.
I agree with Darcie. I definitely view "liking" as showing support for someone's post in such a way that cannot exactly be done in a reply. Furthermore, if a discussion is actually going on, I highly doubt a "like" is going to replace discourse. For example, were it an option right now, I would have probably liked Darcie's post, and then gone on to elaborate on my own, like I'm doing. All that liking it does is remove the need to awkwardly add in "lolz darcie i like your post. especially that bit about supporting posts and stuff." I don't personally believe it replaces anything.

JCGJ, might I respectfully enquire as to why you are so passionate about this issue?
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Jelly wrote:
EK wrote:I might fire Jelly and hire J-man! \:D/

I do the firing around here. :noway:

J-man, you can be an official consultant, officially. \:D/ You'll earn an official wage and you'll be in charge of many official duties. This is an official offer. I do hope you consider it.
I'm not sure if you can afford me or not, my prices are quite high. :-
...I hate marquees.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

If it weren't for the fact it could very easily turn into another TH situation, there are several users that could be cool to have in some sort of power...
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

Just so you know, JC, I voted Yes because I truly believe it is a good rule, not because I want a like button(which I don't).
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Guess Who!
I'm memorable

Post by Guess Who! »

agree agree.