One Word Posts?

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!

Is the "One Word Post" rule:

Good
73%
Bad
7%
I don't care
20%

Total votes: 15

~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
One Word Posts?

Post by ~JCGJ~ »

I would like to know, what is the general feeling about the "One Word Post" rule?

Do you think it's a good rule?

Do you think it's a bad rule?

Do you not care either way?

Please, explain your answers below.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Well, when you become too legalistic about stuff on a forum it ceases to be fun, so being overbearing about the rules and stuff is kind of dumb to me. (Unless y'know, it's a major infraction.) So I don't really care about one word posts, sometimes one word is all you need to say, and I haven't really seen any of my one word posts get policed in years. >_> I try to only make them here and there but there's a time and place for them, but spamming one word posts around the board in the effort to raise post count/money or whatever should definitely be looked at. I say, try not to one word post everywhere, and especially don't make a habit of it.

One smiley posts (*cough*Marvin*cough* ;) ) are kind of redundant though, at least put the effort out to put a word in.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Bad.
...I hate marquees.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

EK wrote:Well, when you become too legalistic about stuff on a forum it ceases to be fun, so being overbearing about the rules and stuff is kind of dumb to me. (Unless y'know, it's a major infraction.) So I don't really care about one word posts, sometimes one word is all you need to say, and I haven't really seen any of my one word posts get policed in years. >_> I try to only make them here and there but there's a time and place for them, but spamming one word posts around the board in the effort to raise post count/money or whatever should definitely be looked at. I say, try not to one word post everywhere, and especially don't make a habit of it.

One smiley posts (*cough*Marvin*cough* ;) ) are kind of redundant though, at least put the effort out to put a word in.
^Ditto what EK said. << See, like that...only that was four words. \:D/
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I think that as a general policy, the one-word rule is a good one. This is a forum. The point is to talk about stuff. If a post is only one word/smiley long, you aren't communicating much. ;) Now and then it's used for fun or because somebody has very little they want to say. As EK said, it's no fun to be overly legalistic about it, and it's not like one-word posts are treated too harshly here on the ToO. ;) However, in general, I think that the best posts are those where people take the time and effort to share a bit more than yes, no, or \:D/ with us. ;)
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Stop voting for "good," simply because you want the like button.

It's immature.

I also requested that you say why you voted the way you did.

Please, do not vote unless you say why.

Also, we have three votes, but only two people have commented, and one of the comments didn't even match the results of the poll (ie. J-Man said "bad," but there is no "bad" vote yet...)

I'm not as stupid as you all think.

Saying "bad," which is a one word post, was fairly immature, because I'm thinking you did that on purpose (to mock me?), and I don't apreciate that.

Just stop it.

Catspaw wrote:I think that as a general policy, the one-word rule is a good one. This is a forum. The point is to talk about stuff. If a post is only one word/smiley long, you aren't communicating much. ;) Now and then it's used for fun or because somebody has very little they want to say. As EK said, it's no fun to be overly legalistic about it, and it's not like one-word posts are treated too harshly here on the ToO. ;) However, in general, I think that the best posts are those where people take the time and effort to share a bit more than yes, no, or \:D/ with us. ;)
Ok, so let me ask you this...

Do you see any difference between one word posts and like buttons?
They/Them
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

snubs wrote:
EK wrote:Well, when you become too legalistic about stuff on a forum it ceases to be fun, so being overbearing about the rules and stuff is kind of dumb to me. (Unless y'know, it's a major infraction.) So I don't really care about one word posts, sometimes one word is all you need to say, and I haven't really seen any of my one word posts get policed in years. >_> I try to only make them here and there but there's a time and place for them, but spamming one word posts around the board in the effort to raise post count/money or whatever should definitely be looked at. I say, try not to one word post everywhere, and especially don't make a habit of it.

^Ditto what EK said. << See, like that...only that was four words. \:D/
Well, I voted "good," and that's why^ (above post)

I think it is a good rule. But I also think that one word can say it all. So, sometimes it's needed, as long as the one posting is cautious about spamming.
Last edited by snubs on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

~JCGJ~ wrote:Stop voting for "good," simply because you want the like button.

It's immature.

Also, we have three votes, but only two people have commented, and one of the comments didn't even match the results of the poll (ie. J-Man said "bad," but there is no "bad" vote yet...)

Saying "bad," which is a one word post, was fairly immature, because I'm thinking you did that on purpose (to mock me?), and I don't apreciate that.

Just stop it.
Umm, when you make a public poll, you can't control whether or not people comment. If you want a straw poll, make a poll! If you want a discussion, start a discussion only. \:D/

I'm so tempted right now to vote "Good" just for the lulz, but I actually agree with EK and Catspaw. The rule is logical, but I'm glad we aren't too forceful about it.

JCGJ, is this topic really about one word posts, or about the like button?
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

trolol.

AE doing something "for the lulz" is epic. Simply epic.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

~JCGJ~ wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I think that as a general policy, the one-word rule is a good one. This is a forum. The point is to talk about stuff. If a post is only one word/smiley long, you aren't communicating much. ;) Now and then it's used for fun or because somebody has very little they want to say. As EK said, it's no fun to be overly legalistic about it, and it's not like one-word posts are treated too harshly here on the ToO. ;) However, in general, I think that the best posts are those where people take the time and effort to share a bit more than yes, no, or \:D/ with us. ;)

I can see some difference. A like button only says that somebody likes/appreciates/whatever some aspect of the post. A one-word post has the potential to share a little more, but still not enough to really contribute to a discussion, in my opinion. One difference, based on my understanding of like buttons, is that with a one-word post, a person can choose to quote a specific part of a post and then share their one-word thought. Some posts can be long and cover a variety of topics and opinions. A like button, again based on how I understand them, would only be used to like the entire post. A one-word post using a quote at least has the potential to narrow down the part of the post that somebody agrees/disagrees with or whatever their post is meant to share.
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Well SORRY for not following your all important rule. :noway:

I voted for I don't care. Because I don't care.
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

It's immature.

Just stop it.
LOL, please look up irony in the dictionary for me, would ya? Maybe humor too.

..and I didn't even see the poll. Oh well, I voted I don't care now.
...I hate marquees.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Maybe we could add "civility" and "respect" to the list of words that it would be best for all of us to thoughtfully consider before we post. :)
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Catspaw wrote:
~JCGJ~ wrote:

I can see some difference. A like button only says that somebody likes/appreciates/whatever some aspect of the post. A one-word post has the potential to share a little more, but still not enough to really contribute to a discussion, in my opinion. One difference, based on my understanding of like buttons, is that with a one-word post, a person can choose to quote a specific part of a post and then share their one-word thought. Some posts can be long and cover a variety of topics and opinions. A like button, again based on how I understand them, would only be used to like the entire post. A one-word post using a quote at least has the potential to narrow down the part of the post that somebody agrees/disagrees with or whatever their post is meant to share.
So, in other words, you feel that one word posts have more potential to have value/add to a converstaion than a like button would have?

Please, correct me if I mis-understood you.
J-man wrote:

It's immature.

Just stop it.
LOL, please look up irony in the dictionary for me, would ya? Maybe humor too.

..and I didn't even see the poll. Oh well, I voted I don't care now.
Yes, I appologize for my rudeness, but I am sick and tired of people mocking me when I have something that (I feel) is important to say.

I put up with it too much already.

Please, I want your serious answer to my question.

I just want to know if you are being consistant in your oppinions about the like button.

Thank you for your understanding...
They/Them
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

~JCGJ~ wrote: So, in other words, you feel that one word posts have more potential to have value/add to a converstaion than a like button would have?

Yes, I think this is an accurate summation of what I said, though I will state for the record that I don't love one-word posts. I just think that when they are compared to a like button, the one-word posts have a higher potential to communicate something useful.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

:(
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

^ *like*
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Catspaw wrote:
~JCGJ~ wrote: So, in other words, you feel that one word posts have more potential to have value/add to a converstaion than a like button would have?

Yes, I think this is an accurate summation of what I said, though I will state for the record that I don't love one-word posts. I just think that when they are compared to a like button, the one-word posts have a higher potential to communicate something useful.
Ok, so, in the name of fairness, if we instigate a like button, I say we also modify the "One Word Post" rule, if not get rid of it altogether.

That is my proposition.
They/Them
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I think its a good rule as long as it doesn't apply to me personally.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

~JCGJ~ wrote: Yes, I apologize for my rudeness, but I am sick and tired of people mocking me when I have something that (I feel) is important to say.

I put up with it too much already.

Please, I want your serious answer to my question.

I just want to know if you are being consistant in your oppinions about the like button.

Thank you for your understanding...
Seriously? I think the rule's fine, provided it's not enforced particularly strictly. If someone's spamming one word posts then sure, put a stop to it, otherwise I don't think it's a big deal, particularly if it's a well known user who is known for doing humorous things *cough*top*cough*. I also fail to see what a like button has to do with this at all...
Last edited by J-man on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...I hate marquees.