Opposing a Like Button

An Open Letter

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
Guess Who!
I'm memorable

Post by Guess Who! »

Nobody should express an opinion. They should ONLY be stating FACTS in the Bieber thread while it's on tour.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Were this topic a published novel, I'm afraid I would be at Barnes & Noble searching for the Cliff Notes.

That said, I'm glad to see ToO members are passionate about the board. \:D/
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Well, I had already decided that I'm not voting for the "Like" button. So... =}
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Well, even though I read most of bookworm's post and skimmed the end, I am impressed he took the time to write out his views in such a detailed way :)

And I don't oppose a like button in general, but I agree it can cut down on true communication.

Till the end of the line.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Haters unite. :x

I do find it amusing that most of the strong opponents of a "Like" button don't have a Facebook account; I know it sounds crazy, but perhaps fear of change is a factor here?

The beloved button would be the greatest new addition to the board since the phpbb3 upgrade. Ask 31899 about that. He was vocally opposed to the upgrade and tried to get it reversed. Eventually, he saw how much the change improved the ToO and essentially apologized for his protest. I'm not saying that bookworm, JCGJ and snubs will ever apologize for these comments, but guys, I really think you'll change your mind after you get used to the button. You just gotta embrace it for awhile. \:D/

If people despise the button once it's had a trial run, then yeah, it can go. It merely deserves a shot.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I don't despise the Like button. I mean, I honestly wouldn't mind trying it out. But I'm just not voting for it. =p
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

TO HIM THAT KNOWETH TO DO GOOD, AND DOETH IT NOT, TO HIM IT IS SIN! :x

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
RileyTomTimothy
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by RileyTomTimothy »

I think improving on the Like button would be the better choice here. On proboards, each user is rated by using Karma points. With a thumbs down you lose a point, a thumbs up, you gain a point. If you were to put a like button, I'd also say a dislike button should be put on as well. However, to avoid people wondering 'why' people dislike their post, they will HAVE to explain why they don't like another person's post, instead of someone just simply disliking it and not saying anything.

So if you're going to put on a like button, put on a dislike button.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

American Eagle wrote:Haters unite. :x

I do find it amusing that most of the strong opponents of a "Like" button don't have a Facebook account; I know it sounds crazy, but perhaps fear of change is a factor here?

The beloved button would be the greatest new addition to the board since the phpbb3 upgrade. Ask 31899 about that. He was vocally opposed to the upgrade and tried to get it reversed. Eventually, he saw how much the change improved the ToO and essentially apologized for his protest. I'm not saying that bookworm, JCGJ and snubs will ever apologize for these comments, but guys, I really think you'll change your mind after you get used to the button. You just gotta embrace it for awhile. \:D/

If people despise the button once it's had a trial run, then yeah, it can go. It merely deserves a shot.
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

American Eagle wrote:TO HIM THAT KNOWETH TO DO GOOD, AND DOETH IT NOT, TO HIM IT IS SIN! :x
But I want the badges.. :anxious:

Besides, I think your precious "Like" button will win anyways.
Last edited by snubs on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

American Eagle wrote:Haters unite. :x

I would like to point out that Snubs and I both have Facebook accounts.

I use mine quite frequently, but I very rarely use the Like button.

I have had years to get used to the idea on Facebook, and I still do not like it (no pun intended... ](*,) ), so I seriously doubt that I will get used to the idea on here.

It's not that I don't like change (I'm all for change, if it will increese activity on the boards), I just know that the like button on Facebook is used just as a lazy excuse to show people that you are interested in what they have to say, and I don't like lazy people (and it will not increese activity...)
I have little doubt that it will be much different on the ToO.
We don't yet another excuse to be lazy.
If you really like what someone has to say, why not just tell them that?
Why do you have to have a button that tells them?

Next you'll be telling me that we should have a like button in real life...
I can just imagine how that would go down...

"What's black and white and red all over? A skunk in a blender!"

*Everyones holds up like button signs*

"I had a tunafish sandwich for lunch. It was awful."

*Everyone holds up like button signs"

No. Absolutely not... it would make life boring, and it would diminish the value of converstation, as I believe it has on Facebook, and as I believe it will on the ToO.

Also, my question to you is, why do we need to have a like button?

What will that accomplish?

What will a like button add to the boards?

I view a like button in basically the same light as a one-word-post...

It is unnessisary, and does absolutely nothing to add to the conversation.

So, I would like to pass a motion, if I may...

I say, if we allow a like button, we also allow one word posts.

After all, is there a real difference between the two?

Should we "discriminate" against one word posts, while we allow a like button, while they are essentially for the same purpose (being lazy)?

We must be fair, so if we allow a like button, I say we allow one word posts.

All in favor, say "aye."
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I think we're making a mountain out a molehill here guys. >_> There's going to be a vote on whether you guys want it or want badges, and if the next administration doesn't want it, they're welcome to disable it.

Are we going to argue more about a modification poll thing that we did about the actual elections? :anxious:

For the record... I'd rather have badges. Because, well, BADGES!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

JCGJ, you're entitled to your opinion, but my point still stands: the like button deserves a trial run.
Last edited by American Eagle on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Then I say one word posts also deserve a trial run.
They/Them
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I wouldn't mind a trial run, and I do like RileyTomTimothy's suggestion of a karma mod.

Either way, to refute some of the points, this is a message board guys, this isn't facebook. The equivalency is way off here. On facebook people post random misnomers, pictures, and updates from their lives that have nothing to do with anything, there wasn't substance to facebook before the like button, and there isn't substance now. So to state that a like button would be akin to facebooks "demise" of conversation isn't really a valid point because this forum stimulates discussion by asking questions. I could see a lot of people using the like button in different ways though, like a good CCDS post gets a like or something funny gets a like, whatever. It's just fun. It's not going to detract from what people say because if being lazy = using a like button then what does that mean when I look at a post, don't say anything, and keep going?

Also, for the "it isn't needed" argument. Alright Bookie, let's get rid of cash, the shop, comments, elections, NPCs, avatars, signatures, ranks....etcetera, they're not needed. Right? ;)
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Yeah, for me a like button would be great in CCDS topics. Because I don't like to post in there, but there are posts in there that I would "like."
Last edited by snubs on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

EK wrote: Also, for the "it isn't needed" argument. Alright Bookie, let's get rid of cash, the shop, comments, elections, NPCs, avatars, signatures, ranks....etcetera, they're not needed. Right? ;)
Ahh, I was wondering when this would come up...

No, none of these things are needed, but they do add to activity on the boards.

The avatars, siggys, ranks, and shops add to the value of the cash, and the cash (combined with the avatars etc.) provides incentive to make worthwhile posts.

The elections also add to the activity of the boards.
They provide even more incentive to make worthwhile posts so you can earn cash to donate to your favorite teams.

I will agree, the comments are not needed at all, and therefor, I do not use them often.
If someone posts a comment to me, I will respond, but other than that, I just use PMs.

All of those things (besides the comments) add to the activity of the boards, because each thing provides some incentive to posting.

A like button provides nothing that will enhance our boards in any way.

In fact, if we do have a karma thing, it will actually give incentive to click the like/dislike button, which will (without a doubt in my mind) decrease activity on the boards...
They/Them
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Guys, guys, guys, we're all missing the point here. The real issue is that like buttons are evil. Clearly we can't have anything evil on this board. :noway:
...I hate marquees.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

What do you mean by "worthwhile" posts. Couldn't I just spam a bunch of nonsense "I agree" type posts to get money?

I think you're underestimating the type of message board the ToO is, having been here 7 years, I can tell you right now that discussion will not slow down. In fact I can see it as an impetus for people actually making good posts, there's got to be posts to get liked right?

But I agree with J-man, like buttons, and ham, are evil.

Maybe Whit can get married to a like button. \:D/

#oldbiejoke #youhadtobethere #YOPO
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

EK wrote:What do you mean by "worthwhile" posts. Couldn't I just spam a bunch of nonsense "I agree" type posts to get money?
But those spamming "I agree" type posts get deleted if they are doing it simply to spam.

Unless you can find a way to track the likes, and be able to delete them induvidually if it becomes spam, my point stands.
They/Them