Album 56: The Grand Design

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

Downloading it right now. Can't wait to listen to it! \:D/
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Vic
29K to go!

Post by Vic »

I'm so mad that I'm broke! *broods in the corner* Anybody know when these episodes will be released?
This is my humble blog: http://aiothoughts.blogspot.com/
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

If history is any indicator, sometime in October. As for that 13th episode, it is a studio version of the live show. Just cut down.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Woody

Post by Woody »

I have listened to most of the episodes now, so I'm going to write up my thoughts on what I've heard so far
The Perfect Church, Parts 1 and 2: This was a great way to start out the album. It felt like a classic Imagination Station adventure(which happened to cover part of my favorite book in the Bible, Acts! \:D/). The end of the adventure was a bit awkward though. I think they could have done a whole lot more with the character of Rhoda(Did I spell that right?), and perhaps have made it a 3-part episode with the last part covering Saul's conversion. Overall, a great episode. :)

Great Expectations: Emily may be a much-hated character, but her character is starting to grow on me. It was great to see more of Whit's history. Him getting flying lessons at the end was very enjoyable(And I want to see(or rather, hear) him flying in a future episode!) And Joanne is back! So sad they're closing J&J Antiques, though. :(

For Three Dollars More: My first thought while listening to this episode was: "Hey! It's one of the "Get In The Show" scripts! \:D/" It was great to see how they brought that script to life. It seemed rather dull looking at it on a piece of paper, but hearing it brought to life, it was a great scene. It was also great to hear my favorite invention on AIO again. And Connie and Matthew's programs were both hilarious.

The Bible Network: KYDS Radio! Though it felt more like B-TV. Which is great because I like B-TV better than KYDS Radio. The first act(the game show) was A little bit boring, it made it's point well. The second one was funny, and I liked it very much. "Bible Boot Camp" was funny as well, but a bit short.

Happy Hunting: It was good, and actually quite funny. My favorite line was:

Penny: The good news is: I got a frequent customer card at the hospital and my next visit is half off!

And the Happiness Support Group scene was funny.

The Holy Hoopster: I don't have much to say about this one, as it was kind of confusing(especially when you're trying to solve a puzzle while listening). I will post my review later, after I have had a chance to listen to it again. But it was great to hear Lightning Livingston mentioned! Does this mean the return of Bimmy Jarclay?

The Lost Riddle: This is definitely the best of The Jones and Parker Detective Agency. It actually felt like it could really happen. And it looks like Dale might be back for good! I hope Robyn makes an appearance soon!

Groundhog Jay: It seems like Jay has been developing a conscience lately. Such a shame. I thought he was going to be the Rodney Rathbone of Albums 51 . But it looks like Vance will be taking that position. At least Jay is still funny. ROC again! YAY! It had some unexpected twists. And Connie dropping things added a bit of comedy to it(as did Jay) It was pretty good. :thumbsup:

I hope the return of inventions and KYDS Radio is not just for this album. I hope they keep them around. Album 56 is definitely the best since the reboot!
Last edited by Woody on Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Vic
29K to go!

Post by Vic »

Woody wrote:I have listened to most of the episodes now, so I'm going to write up my thoughts on what I've heard so far
The Perfect Church, Parts 1 and 2: This was a great way to start out the album. It felt like a classic Imagination Station adventure(which happened to cover part of my favorite book in the Bible, Acts! \:D/). The end of the adventure was a bit awkward though. I think they could have done a whole lot more with the character of Rhoda(Did I spell that right?), and perhaps have made it a 3-part episode with the last part covering Saul's conversion. Overall, a great episode. :)

Great Expectations: Emily may be a much-hated character, but her character is starting to grow on me. It was great to see more of Whit's history. Him getting flying lessons at the end was very enjoyable(And I want to see(or rather, hear) him flying in a future episode!) And Joanne is back! So sad they're closing J&J Antiques, though. :(

For Three Dollars More: My first thought while listening to this episode was: "Hey! It's one of the "Get In The Show" scripts! \:D/" It was great to see how they brought that script to life. It seemed rather dull looking at it on a piece of paper, but hearing it brought to life, it was a great scene. It was also great to hear my favorite invention on AIO again. And Connie and Matthew's programs were both hilarious.

The Bible Network: KYDS Radio! Though it felt more like B-TV. Which is great because I like B-TV better than KYDS Radio. The first act(the game show) was A little bit boring, it made it's point well. The second one was funny, and I liked it very much. "Bible Boot Camp" was funny as well, but a bit short.

Penny: The good news is: I got a frequent customer card at the hospital and my next visit is half off!

The Holy Hoopster: I don't have much to say about this one, as it was kind of confusing(especially when you're trying to solve a puzzle while listening). I will post my review later, after I have had a chance to listen to it again. But it was great to hear Lightning Livingston mentioned! Does this mean the return of Bimmy Jarclay?

The Lost Riddle: This is definitely the best of The Jones and Parker Detective Agency. It actually felt like it could really happen. And it looks like Dale might be back for good! I hope Robyn makes an appearance soon!

Groundhog Jay: It seems like Jay has been developing a conscience lately. Such a shame. I thought he was going to be the Rodney Rathbone of Albums 51 . But it looks like Vance will be taking that position. At least Jay is still funny. ROC again! YAY! It had some unexpected twists. And Connie dropping things added a bit of comedy to it(as did Jay) It was pretty good. :thumbsup:

I hope the return of inventions and KYDS Radio is not just for this album. I hope they keep them around. Album 56 is definitely the best since the reboot!
Sounds like a great album.
I can't believe that J&J Antiques is closing. That's so sad! (Seriously. I'm welling up a bit) Now, Woody, I love that you posted your reviews and I'm grateful but I want to know WHAT IS UP WITH THIS EPISODE WHERE JASON RETURNS? When you get a chance to listen to it, please post details. I can't wait till I get some cash or until it comes on the radio. Much obliged. Thanks.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Vic wrote:
Woody wrote:I have listened to most of the episodes now, so I'm going to write up my thoughts on what I've heard so far

Sounds like a great album.
I can't believe that J&J Antiques is closing. That's so sad! (Seriously. I'm welling up a bit) Now, Woody, I love that you posted your reviews and I'm grateful but I want to know WHAT IS UP WITH THIS EPISODE WHERE JASON RETURNS? When you get a chance to listen to it, please post details. I can't wait till I get some cash or until it comes on the radio. Much obliged. Thanks.
I agree. Keep 'em coming!
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Woody

Post by Woody »

Ok, I'm now finished with the album. I will post details about Home Again, but first, my review of "The Holy Hoopster"
The Holy Hoopster: Listening to it again, I really liked it. It was also great to hear from Olivia and Camilla again.

Home Again, Parts 1 & 2: AWESOME! Definitely the best of the album BY FAR! So now, a summary of the episode.

Eugene and Whit are working on a program to help J&J Antiques with their inventory so they can shut down, when the alarm in the tunnel goes off(Yay! The tunnel was used in an episode again!). Whit says it must be a rabbit or a mole, and goes downstairs to investigate. When he gets down there, he finds Jason! But he knew it was Jason all along because the security system identified him. Whit asks him how he knew the code for the door(Whit upgraded the security system) and Jason says something about Whit being predictable(or something like that) Jason says he quit the agency and that he returned to get in touch with God. Jason also tells Whit not to tell anyone that he's here, and where he's staying. Then Connie comes down to the tunnel, being the curious person that she is. Anyways, Whit and Jason hear her coming, so Jason hides, and Whit closes the door behind him, and acts like it was just a rabbit. But Connie says she heard him talking to someone and that it sounded like Jason. Whit tells her, and tells her not to tell anyone else. Of course, Connie goes right upstairs and tells Eugene. They're discussing it when Penny walks in and overhears them. Connie confirms that Jason is back in town(and then Penny says a hilarious line: "Don't tell me he's another ex-fiance"). Penny proceeds to tell Wooton, and they conspire a way to get Connie to see him(as she refuses to, because Whit told her to respect Jason's privacy and stay away, and she wants to prove that she can do so). Meanwhile, Eugene goes to deliver the program to Joanne at J&J Antiques. He's showing her how it works when she says she thought she saw Jason driving through town. Eugene tries to keep the secret, but eventually tells her. Then, when Eugene is entering a diamond into the inventory, a warning comes up saying that someone has been coming into jewelry shops with fake diamonds, and asking to have them appraised. He then convinces the owner to open up the diamond case so they can compare the diamonds. Then he switches them. And the sketch of the suspect looks just like Eugene! Eugene thinks that Jason is in town working on this case. Joanne tells Eugene that the suspect came into the antique store. She then asks Eugene to go have the diamonds appraised. He does so, and the storekeeper takes him and locks him in a back room, thinking that he is the diamond thief! Meanwhile, Wooton tries to get Whit to tell him where Jason is staying. He eventually gets that its on the south side of Trickle Lake. He goes back and talks to Penny, and they plan a picnic on the south side of Trickle Lake with Connie. They go there, and there's construction going on. Loud construction. Penny spills the last of their water(on purpose), then convinces Connie that they should go ask the person staying in Cabin #3(Jason) for water. However, Jason doesn't answer the door, and Connie talks everyone into going for a walk around the lake. Later, they stop to rest, and Connie figures out that they're trying to get her to see Jason. They then find Jason, who is also taking a walk around the lake. Jason invites them back to his cabin. They go, and when it's time for them to leave, Penny invites Jason over to their apartment. Jason accepts, and they go play games, eat, and watch a movie. During the small talk, someone mentions that J&J Antiques is closing down... Meanwhile, Eugene wakes up(They knocked him out) to see two men, one the jewelry store owner, the other the suspect in the diamond scam. They're mad because they think Eugene has been using their scam. They demand that Eugene pay them %100 of what he's made off of the scam. Eugene then comments that "%100 of nothing is nothing." They decide that they're going to pin the blame for the scam on Eugene, then skip town. Eugene says that he has friends in the police, and that they'll never believe he did it. Then he'll turn them in. They knock him out again. Meanwhile, Jason has returned to Whit's End, and finds out that Eugene is missing. Katrina calls and says she found Eugene's car in front of a jewelry store and that it's been there hours afters the meter ran out. Whit and Jason go to the store, and go inside. the owner comes out to greet them. Jason recognizes him as a criminal. His brother(the one that looks like Eugene) comes out wearing Eugene's waistcoat. Whit recognizes it, then Jason knocks both of the criminals out, and calls the police. Later, Jason goes into J&J Antiques, and talks to Joanne. He offers to run J&J Antiques while she and Jack travel. She says she'll talk it over with Jack. Later, she accepts and they talk with Jack on the phone(Was it really Alan Young? :shock:)

I probably missed a few spots, but that's the general story. So the antique shop isn't really closing! \:D/

Push the Red Button: It was good, though a bit crazy. I was wondering the whole time how they were going to explain it all. CAPTAIN ABSOLUTELY!!!!!! Hopefully he's back for good.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Woody wrote:Ok, I'm now finished with the album. I will post details about Home Again, but first, my review of "The Holy Hoopster"
The Holy Hoopster: Listening to it again, I really liked it. It was also great to hear from Olivia and Camilla again.

Home Again, Parts 1 & 2: AWESOME! Definitely the best of the album BY FAR! So now, a summary of the episode.

Eugene and Whit are working on a program to help J&J Antiques with their inventory so they can shut down, when the alarm in the tunnel goes off(Yay! The tunnel was used in an episode again!). Whit says it must be a rabbit or a mole, and goes downstairs to investigate. When he gets down there, he finds Jason! But he knew it was Jason all along because the security system identified him. Whit asks him how he knew the code for the door(Whit upgraded the security system) and Jason says something about Whit being predictable(or something like that) Jason says he quit the agency and that he returned to get in touch with God. Jason also tells Whit not to tell anyone that he's here, and where he's staying. Then Connie comes down to the tunnel, being the curious person that she is. Anyways, Whit and Jason hear her coming, so Jason hides, and Whit closes the door behind him, and acts like it was just a rabbit. But Connie says she heard him talking to someone and that it sounded like Jason. Whit tells her, and tells her not to tell anyone else. Of course, Connie goes right upstairs and tells Eugene. They're discussing it when Penny walks in and overhears them. Connie confirms that Jason is back in town(and then Penny says a hilarious line: "Don't tell me he's another ex-fiance"). Penny proceeds to tell Wooton, and they conspire a way to get Connie to see him(as she refuses to, because Whit told her to respect Jason's privacy and stay away, and she wants to prove that she can do so). Meanwhile, Eugene goes to deliver the program to Joanne at J&J Antiques. He's showing her how it works when she says she thought she saw Jason driving through town. Eugene tries to keep the secret, but eventually tells her. Then, when Eugene is entering a diamond into the inventory, a warning comes up saying that someone has been coming into jewelry shops with fake diamonds, and asking to have them appraised. He then convinces the owner to open up the diamond case so they can compare the diamonds. Then he switches them. And the sketch of the suspect looks just like Eugene! Eugene thinks that Jason is in town working on this case. Joanne tells Eugene that the suspect came into the antique store. She then asks Eugene to go have the diamonds appraised. He does so, and the storekeeper takes him and locks him in a back room, thinking that he is the diamond thief! Meanwhile, Wooton tries to get Whit to tell him where Jason is staying. He eventually gets that its on the south side of Trickle Lake. He goes back and talks to Penny, and they plan a picnic on the south side of Trickle Lake with Connie. They go there, and there's construction going on. Loud construction. Penny spills the last of their water(on purpose), then convinces Connie that they should go ask the person staying in Cabin #3(Jason) for water. However, Jason doesn't answer the door, and Connie talks everyone into going for a walk around the lake. Later, they stop to rest, and Connie figures out that they're trying to get her to see Jason. They then find Jason, who is also taking a walk around the lake. Jason invites them back to his cabin. They go, and when it's time for them to leave, Penny invites Jason over to their apartment. Jason accepts, and they go play games, eat, and watch a movie. During the small talk, someone mentions that J&J Antiques is closing down... Meanwhile, Eugene wakes up(They knocked him out) to see two men, one the jewelry store owner, the other the suspect in the diamond scam. They're mad because they think Eugene has been using their scam. They demand that Eugene pay them %100 of what he's made off of the scam. Eugene then comments that "%100 of nothing is nothing." They decide that they're going to pin the blame for the scam on Eugene, then skip town. Eugene says that he has friends in the police, and that they'll never believe he did it. Then he'll turn them in. They knock him out again. Meanwhile, Jason has returned to Whit's End, and finds out that Eugene is missing. Katrina calls and says she found Eugene's car in front of a jewelry store and that it's been there hours afters the meter ran out. Whit and Jason go to the store, and go inside. the owner comes out to greet them. Jason recognizes him as a criminal. His brother(the one that looks like Eugene) comes out wearing Eugene's waistcoat. Whit recognizes it, then Jason knocks both of the criminals out, and calls the police. Later, Jason goes into J&J Antiques, and talks to Joanne. He offers to run J&J Antiques while she and Jack travel. She says she'll talk it over with Jack. Later, she accepts and they talk with Jack on the phone(Was it really Alan Young? :shock:)

I probably missed a few spots, but that's the general story. So the antique shop isn't really closing! \:D/

Push the Red Button: It was good, though a bit crazy. I was wondering the whole time how they were going to explain it all. CAPTAIN ABSOLUTELY!!!!!! Hopefully he's back for good.
Aw....I guess I cannot be that surprised that they are closing J and J antiques, but it is always sad when they bring back characters only to say goodbye to them. But I understand, Alan Young is probably in his 90´s? so it is either recast him, which sometimes goes well, sometimes not, or "let him go". hm....if there is to be no "romance" between Jason and Connie why have her be so intent on seeing him, and why spend so much time on that part of the plot.... They weren´t THAT close in previous episodes. Having him stay and run the antique store is a good move. Will be interesting to see where it goes. Thanks for the review!
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Vic
29K to go!

Post by Vic »

Woody wrote:Ok, I'm now finished with the album. I will post details about Home Again, but first, my review of "The Holy Hoopster"

Woody, I could kiss you! Thank you so much for the summary. Oh my gosh. Now I have to download it. I just gotta scrape some money together.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Unfortunately, it does look like they're trying to get Connie and Jason together. I wish they had just brought Mitch back to marry Connie instead of breaking her heart. "Connie Whittaker" just doesn't seem right
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Vic wrote:

Woody, I could kiss you! Thank you so much for the summary. Oh my gosh. Now I have to download it. I just gotta scrape some money together.
I still cannot get it until December, but I am quite happy to read what others write and look forward to hearing it on the webradio. =D>
-- 03 Aug 2012 08:18 pm --
Woody wrote:
Unfortunately, it does look like they're trying to get Connie and Jason together. I wish they had just brought Mitch back to marry Connie instead of breaking her heart. "Connie Whittaker" just doesn't seem right
Constance Kendall Whittaker. I think it sounds perfect! This will be interesting! Now we just need them to have twins, Jerry and June would be perfect! I might mention I come from a "J" family too. James, Joanne, Jennifer, and Jarret. Loved it till I came to sweden..............."j" names do not work out so well in scandinavian languages. :(

I do agree that just bringing Mitch back for "closure" was misleading to those Connie/Mitch suporters, but I guess the writers wanted to close that door permanent. (is anything ever permanent in fiction?)
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Vic
29K to go!

Post by Vic »

ARGH. I'm trying to download "Great Expectations" and "Home Again" but it's not working. -_- I am so irritated right now. Come on, Focus! I paid and everything!
This is my humble blog: http://aiothoughts.blogspot.com/
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Vic wrote:ARGH. I'm trying to download "Great Expectations" and "Home Again" but it's not working. -_- I am so irritated right now. Come on, Focus! I paid and everything!
That is one reason I just wait for the hard copy. Too frustrating and hard to get ahold of someone to help you. I have the same problem with CBH.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Marc.
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by Marc. »

That cover art is truly horrendous, although I've never really cared much for the cover art. It is still pretty bad.
Anyway, I have always been a huge fan of all Whit's wonderful inventions, and I relish the episodes that feature them. I was just realizing that we haven't had a good Imagination Station adventure in a long time. I look forward to the episode about Jay and the Room of Consequence.
I always wait for the hard copy. Because, all of the episodes I have are hard copy, and listening to them with a CD player is much better quality than with my computer speakers and/or ipod/portable computerized device, because I never listen to them alone (it's just no fun), so no headphones. Anyways, I'm waiting with anticipation.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

My CD player has bit the dust, so I am stuck with the computer player right now. However, I do not like paying for the download item. I would rather pay for something I can hold in my hand and then upload to the computer for the mp4, etc. Each form of listening has its place. I use them on trips on the mp4 as well as listening to in bed when I cannot sleep. Of course, my husband is not happy when he wakes up becuase I am laughing....hee hee.

I had thought of getting the downloads for the episodes I REALLY want to hear, The Perfect Church, Home Again, and Groundhog Jay, but that would be half of the album price, so really a waste of money. I will wait patiently for the broadcast.

I listened to the free episode of Happy Hunting on the Odyssey Scoop yesterday. It was cute. Penny is growning on me, but what happened to the budding romance between her and Wooten? Did they drop that from the storyline? I thought they were perfect for one another and until recently, I was NOT a Wooten fan.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Jacob Isom
I'm not Gabe

Post by Jacob Isom »

I'm not exactly sure why people are now assuming Jason and Connie will get together. Where is that in Album 56? I listened to the entire thing and I didn't sense any connection whatsoever.
"Providing the Scoop on Adventures in Odyssey, one cone at a time."
http://www.odysseyscoop.com | Personal Site: http://www.jacobisom.org
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

I have only read fan summaries. I guess we will have to wait until the episodes are played on the radio and webcast and then we can discuss them openly. :-)
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Vic
29K to go!

Post by Vic »

Jacob Isom wrote:I'm not exactly sure why people are now assuming Jason and Connie will get together. Where is that in Album 56? I listened to the entire thing and I didn't sense any connection whatsoever.
Connie and Jason are not gonna get together on the show. I can almost guarantee that. Although I can see why people may think that there's some romance brewing because Connie was pretty happy to see him. (Hmm. Now I'm second guessing myself a bit) On an off note, I think that they dropped the Penny/Wooten somance storyline which makes me happy. I like Penny and Wooten as good friends. Their chemistry and camaraderie play off Connie (and Jason) well but them as a couple would be kinda awkward. (But I know that a lot of people have already made this point) Getting back to my original point, ConnieXJason are a very unlikely couple. Very unlikely.
whittaker96
Gold Member

Post by whittaker96 »

Jacob Isom wrote:I'm not exactly sure why people are now assuming Jason and Connie will get together. Where is that in Album 56? I listened to the entire thing and I didn't sense any connection whatsoever.
I haven't heard any of the episodes with the exception of Happy Hunting (from the Odyssey Scoop), but from listening to the episode 30 sec previews on CBD, Home Again, Part 2 features a part of a scene where Penny and Wooton take Connie to go see Jason. I can see how fans could start assuming.

*Though I hope Jason and Connie never happens. Ever. Penny and Wooton also used to be a no-no but Wooton was utilized better in Happy Hunting, so I'm on the fence about that.
Jacob Isom
I'm not Gabe

Post by Jacob Isom »

And the answer is...
Connie makes it abundantly clear in "Home Again" and refers to Jason as "like a brother". Sorry, Jason and Connie matchmakers. I think the team is trying to tackle all the big, overly-asked questions these days.
"Providing the Scoop on Adventures in Odyssey, one cone at a time."
http://www.odysseyscoop.com | Personal Site: http://www.jacobisom.org