Eugene And Katrina Children Poll

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

What do you want to happen to E&K?

They need to adopt Buck.
28%
They should have a miracle baby of their own.
31%
I'd rather them not have any kids at all.
28%
I don't really care, I'm good with whatever.
13%

Total votes: 32

Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

Jesus' Princess wrote:After hearing the Labyrinth, I wouldn't be surprised if they adopted Sew. (Not that that would be an easy thing, but the way she talked I could see an adoption in the near future..)
Um...Eugene & Katrina weren't in that show. :-
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Yeah, to those who posted that the writers took the cheap way out by having Eugene and Katrina be unable to have children - I seriously hope you will apologize for your comments, and take them back. Infertility is a very serious, common, and painful experience that should not be taken lightly, nor should it be condemned. I know several couples who have tried to have children and found out they couldn't. It is heartbreaking to watch, and I am sure even more painful to experience. I think the AIO team did a phenomenal job dealing with this issue, and making it real. A dear friend of mine just recently miscarried - the doctors said she should be able to conceive again, but what if she can't? Is that a cheap way out too?

I apologize if I am being harsh here. I just couldn't believe that something that callous could be said here. For a plot line, it was real and fitting and handled exceptionally well. For relating to people in real life situations, it was even better. I think that some of these earlier posts were uncalled for.

Hopefully, hearing the episode helped some of you see how well this was handled. :)

JF
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

JesusFreak777 wrote:Yeah, to those who posted that the writers took the cheap way out by having Eugene and Katrina be unable to have children - I seriously hope you will apologize for your comments, and take them back. Infertility is a very serious, common, and painful experience that should not be taken lightly, nor should it be condemned. I know several couples who have tried to have children and found out they couldn't. It is heartbreaking to watch, and I am sure even more painful to experience. I think the AIO team did a phenomenal job dealing with this issue, and making it real. A dear friend of mine just recently miscarried - the doctors said she should be able to conceive again, but what if she can't? Is that a cheap way out too?

I apologize if I am being harsh here. I just couldn't believe that something that callous could be said here. For a plot line, it was real and fitting and handled exceptionally well. For relating to people in real life situations, it was even better. I think that some of these earlier posts were uncalled for.

Hopefully, hearing the episode helped some of you see how well this was handled. :)

JF
This. Personally knowing people who can't have kids.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Mhmm, making life difficult for the characters isn't necessarily taking the easy way out. :-

I know a couple who basically had a miracle baby, but the disappointment before he came along was really sad.

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
EUCC
Someone's favorite

Post by EUCC »

JesusFreak777 wrote:Yeah, to those who posted that the writers took the cheap way out by having Eugene and Katrina be unable to have children - I seriously hope you will apologize for your comments, and take them back. Infertility is a very serious, common, and painful experience that should not be taken lightly, nor should it be condemned. I know several couples who have tried to have children and found out they couldn't. It is heartbreaking to watch, and I am sure even more painful to experience. I think the AIO team did a phenomenal job dealing with this issue, and making it real. A dear friend of mine just recently miscarried - the doctors said she should be able to conceive again, but what if she can't? Is that a cheap way out too?

JF
Infertility, miscarriage, still born, neonatal death are all very serious, very tragic situations. I personally have deal with this and I definitely understand not wanting to be around babies or friends with babies or pregnant friends.
Crazy 4 Pugs
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Crazy 4 Pugs »

Thanks, JesusFreak, you said it better than I did. I personally know couples who have had miscarriages and/or struggled with infertility for many years, and I'm in the healthcare field; quite honestly, I found some of the earlier comments offensive. Although honestly, this is probably one of those issues that younger listeners just might not "get" unless they've known people who've been in those situations.

I was impressed that AIO finally addressed a more serious topic; it was a nice change from the lighthearted/unrealistic/over-the-top episodes we've had in recent years. It seemed like old AIO dealt with a lot of serious/real-life issues: death, divorce, etc., and in recent years, they've really shied away from those topics. Or they try to have "serious" episodes but never really follow through. (Compare "Karen" to the episodes where Mitch "died" but wasn't really dead. Or Connie's parents with the Straussberg's "almost divorce".) Obviously there's nothing wrong with humor and light-heartedness; I'm not really expecting/wanting AIO to have a bunch of dark and heavy episodes. But it was nice to see them tackle a tough issue in a mature, thoughtful way. I thought Eugene and Katrina's reactions were spot-on. The lesson of just being there instead of trying to fix things was very appropriate, and not just for the kids. I'm guessing this one might have hit older listeners even more than the younger set. I thought the Barrett and Priscilla B plot was a little silly, but it kept things from getting too heavy, and it probably related to the younger listeners more than infertility issues.

Way to go, Focus.
Um, I guess this is where I'm supposed to say something funny or interesting.
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

JF
Thank you JF for posting this, I know many people who have lost their babies because he/she was stillborn or they miscarried, or part of the child didn't form so when she is born she will die soon after. Even though I would love to see Eugene and Katrina have children(it's been far to long since there were any babies in Odyssey, Stewart Reed was the last one I think) This opens a door for Eugene and Katrina, they could adopt a child(ren)(From a third world country possibly?) or become foster parents, just because they cannot have children that will be biologically related to them, does not mean there will not be children who take the name Meltsner, I think JF is right, Focus did their best to address this topic,(sorry if I came over as harsh in any way) we don't know what the plans are for Eugene and Katrina, for we can only see a small corner of the canvas Focus is painting Odyssey on.

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Peachey Keen wrote:
Jesus' Princess wrote:After hearing the Labyrinth, I wouldn't be surprised if they adopted Sew. (Not that that would be an easy thing, but the way she talked I could see an adoption in the near future..)
Um...Eugene & Katrina weren't in that show. :-
I know.. I just meant after hearing some of the things that Sew said, I wouldn't be surprised. I know it's really far fetched though.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Miracle babies happen all the time. Women are told for some reason they cannot have children, things get relaxed at home, maybe they even adopt a baby, and then "boom" along comes natural baby. I would be okay with it either way, but I think adopting an older teen would put a strain on their marriage. I could see them adopt an especially gifted elementary age child that reminds Eugene of himself when he was young, I love symmetry.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

My youth pastor and his wife couldn't have kids for 4 years and so the started fostering. They just found out this week that she is 12 weeks along!
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~