5 Best Animated Films

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

5 Best Animated Films

Post by jelly »

This is inspired by my more recent discovery of The Iron Giant, an early Brad Bird animated film that has instantly become my new favorite. \:D/ Sadly it was never a huge hit at the box office, which is an incredible shame because it literally gets 'right' every single element of an animated family film that most other animated family films get wrong these days. It's incredibly heartwarming, hilarious and beautiful, and leaves you with a lot to think about.

My second favorite animated film would have to be Beauty and the Beast, which honestly feels like the masterpiece of everything the Disney renaissance ever strived for. It never, ever gets old. Every single musical number is a timeless classic that illustrates and propels the story forward with beautiful perfection.

Thirdly, although not a huge fan of anime, the incredible masterpiece Spirited Away holds a special place in my heart for its warm richness and cinematic quality. This one requires more of a critical approach if you want to get past the 'weirdness' and 'spirituality' to see the beauty of it.

Of course, this list would hardly be complete without a Pixar film! It's awfully hard to pick a favorite, but between Toy Story 3, Up and The Incredibles, I'd have to say that Up is the film that always first comes to mind when I think about the magical excellence of Pixar's films. I know it will be one that I go back to when I'm old, or when a loved one dies, or for inspiration. This is truly a film for all ages.

Finally, to represent the early foundation of the Disney classics, I've selected Fantasia. No, it doesn't have a simple whimsy story like Pinocchio or Bambi, but it's simple in its own unique way... a collection of imaginative and beautiful fantasy pieces that stand as a delightful whole. It deserves this spot.

..this is only my list, of course. What are everyone else's favorites? \:D/
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

I'm so glad that Spirited Away is on there :inlove:

Does CGI count? \:D/
*insert provocative quote here*
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Musical Shutterbug wrote:Does CGI count? \:D/
Well, if Pixar counts as CGI, then yes. :P What do you have in mind?

edit:

If AE's up for it, we should totally have a big poll contest for best animated film. I don't think we've done that yet. :o
Last edited by jelly on Fri May 11, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

The Adventures of Tintin had an amazing CGI job \:D/ I was quite impressed.

If you're speaking Pixar-wise, Finding Nemo was quite lovely. Oooh, WALL-E was as well, now that I think of it.

That's all I can think of, at the moment. I'm sure that something else will come to me.
Jelly wrote:This is inspired by my more recent discovery of The Iron Giant, an early Brad Bird animated film that has instantly become my new favorite. \:D/ Sadly it was never a huge hit at the box office, which is an incredible shame because it literally gets 'right' every single element of an animated family film that most other animated family films get wrong these days. It's incredibly heartwarming, hilarious and beautiful, and leaves you with a lot to think about.
The Iron Giant was a good movie, by the way. I enjoyed it.
*insert provocative quote here*
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

My top five (in no particular order) are:

*Oliver & Company
*The Rescuers
*Prince of Egypt
*Robin Hood
*101 Dalmatians

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

1. Stuart Little 3: Call of the Wild - The first two Stuart Little weren't animated, but if they were, they would be tied for number 1.
1. Doogal - One of the most underrated movies of all time.
2. Yogi Bear (2010) - I died laughing every time Yogi did something stupid or selfish. We need more movies like this.
3. A Christmas Carol (2009) - Haha, one of Jim Carrey's funniest movies ever. The laughs just don't stop.
5. The Wild (2006) - One of Disney's finest productions. No, it doesn't have a good story like Pinocchio or Bambi, but it's simple in its own unique way... a collection of imaginative and beautiful animated pieces that stand as a delightful whole. It deserves this spot.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Delightful. Your taste in quality is so INSPIRING.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Watership Down
The Plague Dogs
The Animals of Farthing Wood
Star Chaser
...and... umm... Song of the South
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

American Eagle wrote:1. Stuart Little 3: Call of the Wild - The first two Stuart Little weren't animated, but if they were, they would be tied for number 1.
1. Doogal - One of the most underrated movies of all time.
2. Yogi Bear (2010) - I died laughing every time Yogi did something stupid or selfish. We need more movies like this.
3. A Christmas Carol (2009) - Haha, one of Jim Carrey's funniest movies ever. The laughs just don't stop.
5. The Wild (2006) - One of Disney's finest productions. No, it doesn't have a good story like Pinocchio or Bambi, but it's simple in its own unique way... a collection of imaginative and beautiful animated pieces that stand as a delightful whole. It deserves this spot.
/end thread

Game over for all of us. Best list ever made!
Children are pure, they know who's the strongest. ~ Mask de Smith
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Was Yogi Bear an animated film? I thought it was real people with CGI bears or something.

Oh, and yes AE, Doogal was a great film ;)

Here is my list (In no particular order)

1. The Incredibles. "WHERE IS MAH SUPER SUIT?" Nuff said.

2. Toy Story 3. The fact that Toy Story had one good sequel was awesome enough. But two...

3. I'm going to have to give this one to Aladdin. This was probably one of the last good Disney Films, IMO.

4. If you count CGI I enjoyed Tintin very much. My least favorite scene in that though is when their flying the plane... that whole scene was just... impossible.

5. And this one i'm going to give to Doogal. I remember first renting it along with M.I.B. with my friend and watching both in one night- Doogal was better. We laughed our heads out at the stupidity, yet brilliance of it.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I hated that version of a Christmas Carol... HATED it.

I can't remember all the animated movies I've seen... :(

(in no order)
1) Treasure Planet
2) How to Train Your Dragon
3) Mulan
4) Batman Beyond
5) every other that I can't remember... heh...
Last edited by Termite on Mon May 14, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Taps

Post by Taps »

Batman... Begins... is... not... ANIMATED :x
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Tangled. :inlove:

That is all I have to say.

\:D/
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

My previous list was sarcasm, obviously. ;) Here is my real list, Jellyfied.

5. Beauty and the Beast
There is a considerable gap between #5 and #4 on my list, but Beauty and the Beast is still dazzling. I love the music and the struggle of Beast to get a girl to fall in love with him. It reminds me of my own life sometimes.
4. The Incredibles
The Incredibles doesn't have a very emotional story, but it makes up for it in sheer fun. The various superheroes, exciting scenes on the island, Dash running on water... it's a thrill-ride from start to finish with a great family story mixed in.
3. Meet the Robinsons
I know that a lot of people didn't like this film, but that's because they're lame! :x I watched this before seeing Back to the Future, and so I had little understanding of futuristic movies. The story boggled my 13-year-old mind, so I can't help but remain in love with it. \:D/ Goob was such a great character, and I loved seeing him grow up into the bad man. (Converely, I also loved seeing him change his future.) Somehow at the end of the movie, ninjas always sneak into my room and start slicing onions...
2. The Polar Express
This film isn't universally adored like some of the other films on my list, and I can see why. It's a fairly cliched kids movie about the "Christmas spirit". However, this movie captured the wonder of being a kid for me. I first saw it when I was around 11, and the fantastic train and North Pole scenes wowed me. I was captivated by the scope of it all, and it didn't matter that I knew Santa was bogus (are we allowed to say that here?). The music of the movie still captivates me.
1. Toy Story 3
THE greatest animated film of all time. An astounding mixture of humor, excitement and emotion. My heart was nearly torn from me when the gang was facing the perils of death, and I wanted to leap for joy when they survived. :) I started tearing up again when Andy decided to give up his childhood memories.

"So long, partner." The best closing line of any movie in history.
Honorable mentions: How to Train Your Dragon, Tangled, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole, and several of the Pixar films.

Brave is really the only 2012 film that has a chance to break into my top 5.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Taps

Post by Taps »

AE has betrayed Doogle. This is insanity.
Agent 86
0x Moderator 0x Admin
0x Moderator 0x Admin

Post by Agent 86 »

i think by looking at your lists :p my list is:
The Incredibles
i liked it but prob one of the better movies
Megamind
i was just so laughing :rofl:
How to Train Your Dragon
One of the scarier movies but i enjoyed it
Toy Story 1, 2 & 3 \:D/
Veggie Tales (if that counts :p )
if it doesn't then Treasure Planet
and alot of movies that i've seen but can't remember :p
^AIOluver^

Who am I? I'd rather not answer that question, the real question is, "Who are you?". Right now I am trying to think of something witty to put here.. I might not find anything, but that's fine. This block of text should be fine for a signature. Wait, are you still reading this? Why are you reading this? Stop. Seriously.
STOP.
This sentence is true.
The sentence above is false.

I dare you not to read this.
Hey! I said not to read this.
Maybe if I talk like this.
Wait, you still see me? *sighs* I give up.

http://blackgaardscastle.forumotion.com/
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

1. Hunchback of Notre Dame *Disney*
2. Tangled
3. The Incredible's
4. Meet the Robinsons
5. Treasure Planet

Honorable mentions: Beauty and the Beast, the Little Mermaid

It's bad when I cannot think up more animated movies... my mind is more hooked on... not-animated movies, lol.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Taps wrote:Batman... Begins... is... not... ANIMATED :x
Haha. Yeah. Batman Beyond, maybe? That was an excellent series and they put out a DVD called "The Movie!" that was all the first few origin episodes strung together. Plus the Return of the Joker movie.

Anyway I may come up with a real list later but Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is probably my favorite animated movie, and Beauty and the Beast has always been my favorite Disney movie but I haven't seen that in ages.
Taps

Post by Taps »

Yeah, I watched the Return of the Joker. It was decent.

Ooh, yeah @AIOLUVER Megamind is going to take the place of Tintin for me.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

The Top Crusader wrote:
Taps wrote:Batman... Begins... is... not... ANIMATED :x
Haha. Yeah. Batman Beyond, maybe? That was an excellent series and they put out a DVD called "The Movie!" that was all the first few origin episodes strung together. Plus the Return of the Joker movie.

Anyway I may come up with a real list later but Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is probably my favorite animated movie, and Beauty and the Beast has always been my favorite Disney movie but I haven't seen that in ages.
YES. Thank you. ;)

I loved the Beyond series... I miss watching it. :(
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein