Is Whit Famous ?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Is Whit Famous ?

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

He has written several Books.

he is an inventor.

He is the founder/head of an enclylopedia company and missions board.

A movie was based on Odyssey and his writings.

Is he famous ?
dancer02248
I've been working out

Post by dancer02248 »

i wouldn't say he's famous, he has a lot of money, and in my opinion, i'd say that he wouldn't aspire to fame, and kinda stays hidden...that's why he lives in Odyssey!
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

For being such a wonderful person...in the world of AIO...I believe that Whit should be very famous. With radical technology like the IS...how could he not be?? :D AIO just doesn't play the famous part up much, I guess.
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

I do not think he is 'famous' out of Odyssey. He may be well known, but not 'famous' like movie stars. He has done alot. I disagree with Dancer saying he has alot of money. In one of the early episodes it says that Whit does not make a penny off of Whits End, because so much goes into it. He has money, just not an abundance, because of Whits End. I do not think that they charge much for ice cream, or anything because it does not seem like Whit. But...I am getting on to another subject. :D So my answer is no, Whit is not famous.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

AIOFan11 wrote:I do not think he is 'famous' out of Odyssey. He may be well known, but not 'famous' like movie stars. He has done alot. I disagree with Dancer saying he has alot of money. In one of the early episodes it says that Whit does not make a penny off of Whits End, because so much goes into it. He has money, just not an abundance, because of Whits End. I do not think that they charge much for ice cream, or anything because it does not seem like Whit. But...I am getting on to another subject. :D So my answer is no, Whit is not famous.
I agree.^
Me
An original

Post by Me »

AIOFan11 wrote:I do not think he is 'famous' out of Odyssey. He may be well known, but not 'famous' like movie stars. He has done alot. I disagree with Dancer saying he has alot of money. In one of the early episodes it says that Whit does not make a penny off of Whits End, because so much goes into it. He has money, just not an abundance, because of Whits End. I do not think that they charge much for ice cream, or anything because it does not seem like Whit. But...I am getting on to another subject. :D So my answer is no, Whit is not famous.
I'll have to disagree with you about the money thing. Sure, he may not make anything off of Whit's End, but he is the chief stockholder of UPF, which is a huge financial asset. He can fly to Chicago regularly, etc. The man is loaded. He just doesn't make a big deal about it.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Me wrote:
I'll have to disagree with you about the money thing. Sure, he may not make anything off of Whit's End, but he is the chief stockholder of UPF, which is a huge financial asset. He can fly to Chicago regularly, etc. The man is loaded. He just doesn't make a big deal about it.
True. Plus, in Tales of Moderation he admits to Connie that he's well off. And it's not that Whit's End takes up a ton of money, he just doesn't make any income of it, according to Recollections. I'd assume that means what money that's made there that isn't used for upkeep of Whit's End goes to charaties or stuff like that.

-Jonathan
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

Yeah, I agree with Jonathan.
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
dancer02248
I've been working out

Post by dancer02248 »

yeah, and in "the treasure room" it was mentioned by Eugene that he thought Whit had a lot of money.
AioMan
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: The Imagination Station, Whit's End, Mcallister Park, Odyssey, Ohio, United States, North America

Post by AioMan »

Jonathan wrote:
Me wrote:
True. Plus, in Tales of Moderation he admits to Connie that he's well off. And it's not that Whit's End takes up a ton of money, he just doesn't make any income of it, according to Recollections. I'd assume that means what money that's made there that isn't used for upkeep of Whit's End goes to charaties or stuff like that.

-Jonathan
I agree. He does have a lot of money, but he saves it and gives some of it away.
Whit: The Best is yet to come. (from "A Prayer for George Barclay" and "Gone.....")

Eugene: Impossible! Prepositions are not words that I end sentences with! (from "Poor Loser")

Arthur Dent: Operation: Thinktank will enslave the human race. Would you like a muffin? (from "Box of Miracles")
poWerbOy
If posts were pigs...

Post by poWerbOy »

i don't think he is really all that famous, though i agree that with a technology like the IS it seems like he should be. i DO agree with those who have said whit has a lot of money. he just isn't wasteful or spendthrifty. a question? is he retired? if he is retired, he could be living off retirement money too, and whit's end could be just a ministry of a sort. lots of people work long after they have officially retired.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

poWerbOy wrote:i don't think he is really all that famous, though i agree that with a technology like the IS it seems like he should be. i DO agree with those who have said whit has a lot of money. he just isn't wasteful or spendthrifty. a question? is he retired? if he is retired, he could be living off retirement money too, and whit's end could be just a ministry of a sort. lots of people work long after they have officially retired.
He retired from teaching. And retirement money supporting him isn't an issue since, as has already been established, he's financially well off.

-Jonathan
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

Well, it seems that he knows qutie a few important people outside of Odyssey, particularly in the archeological world. And, of course he owns a large share in UPF. I think it was more of a desicion on his part not to became a public icon. Since it seems he could be up there with Bill Gates. (Okay, maybe not.) He cares more about people and his relationships with them than praise from the world, which we obviously learn from The Treasure Room.
Anyway, how could he not be famous, when he's such a close friend of that certain famous Shakespearean actor? :noway:
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I know some people like Whit... they are wise and mature, they know everyone, and yet they're so unassuming that they're not well-known away from their own hometown. :)
ajamj
Older Than Dirt
Older Than Dirt

Post by ajamj »

I think that Whit is famous within certain circles. Christian authors, FBI, CIA, archaeology, etc. Would John Q Citizen know who he was? No.
So my answer is yes and no.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

ajamj wrote:I think that Whit is famous within certain circles. Christian authors, FBI, CIA, archaeology, etc. Would John Q Citizen know who he was? No.
That last post there sums up what I was thinking as I read this thread... \:D/
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

I used to think that Whit was rich but then I saw him outside a whole foods dumpster diving. It turns out that he invested most of his money with Bernie Madoff and the rest with the Greeks.
I like this snubs fellow.
General nuisance extraordinaire.
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

wow. I dont even remember starting this topic. But I guess because of all the posts being from 2005 when this board was just a baby.

I am a big fan of AIO, but I am not Jave Griffin or have ever been on AIO. I am just a huge fan of AIO and Jimmy Barclay. I love Odyssey, and Jimmy rules.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Bmuntz wrote:I used to think that Whit was rich but then I saw him outside a whole foods dumpster diving. It turns out that he invested most of his money with Bernie Madoff and the rest with the Greeks.
I literally this morning saw a story on the news that the bank changed the locks on his house.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

ajamj wrote:I think that Whit is famous within certain circles. Christian authors, FBI, CIA, archaeology, etc. Would John Q Citizen know who he was? No.

Haha, I can't think of many people who would fit into a Venn diagram of those circles... except maybe Joel Rosenberg.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent