New Spiderman Series

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

It might be a decent movie, especially with the angle of him finding out about his parents (which is different than the previous trilogy)...but I think it's too soon for a remake.
Last edited by Shennifer on Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Till the end of the line.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yeah, I agree with Shennifer. My brother and I agree that the trailer looks better than what we were expecting, but it just seems too soon for a Spiderman reboot. I probably won't see it in theatres, but if it gets great reviews I would consider it.
Eowyn18
Not as new

Post by Eowyn18 »

Yeah it's definitely too soon for a remake. When I saw the trailer for this I was like, "this looks familiar".......
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Woah, the trailer actually looked pretty good.
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

One word to describe the trailer: epic! Absolutely epic!
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

*thread merged*

Did everyone just not notice this amazing movie that just came out? Who else besides me saw it? It was...well, the title says it, amazing. Like really it was. I liked it so much more than the old ones, Garfield makes McGuire look like a two bit chump spiderman.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

I loved it, especially Garfield's portrayal of Spiderman/Peter Parker. I thought the plot was well done, and I am really excited for the second. Marvel makes great movies. EK, I agree Garfield was ten times what McGuire was.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yeah I was thinking I had started a thread about it back when the first trailer was out, but I can't find it, so meh.

I liked Amazing Spider-man a lot. Overall I'd definitely take it over the first SM1 and 3. Spider-man 2 was pretty good, though... I'd say its on par. I did like Andrew Garfield better, though. Some if it kind of felt rushed, like they cut out a lot of dialogue or something. Like you never quite felt the connection to Uncle Ben, and Peter and Gwen just sort of... were together suddenly or something. But yeah, I liked it a lot overall.
Taps wrote:Marvel makes great movies.
...they do indeed, but Amazing Spider-man was all Sony. ;) Although Marvel characters tend to go well when other studios do the movies... most of the time. >_>
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I LOVED this movie. Seriously.

Andrew Garfield was brilliant as a high schooler...

My only complaint is when he gets bitten. I have arachnophobia, so I covered my eyes. xP
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

It was pretty good I guess. A few things annoyed me a lot, but it was entertaining overall, and much better than the first Spider-Man.
Taps

Post by Taps »

@Top, Oops my bad ;)
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

Andrew Garfield is so cute. :inlove:

And the film itself was fabulous as well, imho. I love the scene in which he tries to ask Gwen out, and all he can do is stutter. ("He has you on his computer!" :lol: ) Then he skipped down the hallway, and my life was made. \:D/
Last edited by Aeva on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Top I actually think Spiderman 2 was my least favorite (3 was just as entertaining as it was bad) 1 was awesome, Willem Dafoe made that movie what it was.

Also, the new spiderman costume is sweeeeeeeeeeet.

And who didn't love the carjacker scene?

Oh, and the final battle!!
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

I'm the only one in the world who likes Tobey Maguire more then Andrew Garfield. :(

I saw it, and it was all I could do to make an effort to appreciate it despite my love for the original Spider-Man trilogy. But since this film felt the need to revisit almost every single plot element from the original Spider-Man, that turned out to be impossible. Andrew Garfield is a better actor, granted, but his character is less sympathetic and too much of what you would expect from a typical Hollywood teenager. His relationship with his Aunt and Uncle has less depth. His motive as Spider-Man seems more blurred. The tension between his love interest and his secret identity is.. not even there. Green Goblin Guy tries to come across as sympathetic, but ends up being a cheap (yet undoubtedly expensive) CGI rip-off of the original Green Goblin that worked so well (I almost groaned aloud during that one random scene where he hears his 'evil' voice talking to himself). It was, in essence, everything that 'worked' from the orginal Spider-Man, combined with the 'dark vigilante' themes that worked for The Dark Knight and that witty humor that worked for The Avengers. Aaaaand it felt like pretty much every other superhero film that's been released in the last couple years.

There's more, but I decided it wasn't worth hating all that much. I just have to wonder how much I might have enjoyed it if it even needed to exist in the first place. :P
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

That wasn't green goblin, that was the lizard, learn your spiderman! Osborne is green goblin, not Connors. :x because you have displayed such a lack of spiderman knowledge you argument is now considered invalid. ;)

But really Toby was a horrible spiderman. Horrible, they tried to put the "I'm just learning stuff" spiderman into the "I want to marry Mary Jane" spiderman which irked me enough because when he was just getting to know all of the villains and such in the original canon he was a kid instead of some dude living in an apartment. I liked the teenage spiderman in this one, and I actually laughed at this incarnation, Spiderman has always been the one superhero (aside from minor ones like deadpool) that's funny, Toby just made him kind of corny at times.

And the realism behind it was cool too, I liked how he can't just swing from anywhere he actually had to be tactical about it, and to me the way they did the lizard was genius. I've always been a big spiderman fan since I was a kid, and was truly disappointed with the last two movies in the trilogy, I'm glad they actually got back to basics and did it right. Now here's hoping they do the symbiote saga on film again....and do it right...please sony, make good use of the rights you have.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Yeah, the Lizard is a pretty firmly established regular character and was I think going to show up in Spidey 4 before it got canned. Maybe. They had the same dude play Connors for 3 movies so it was bound to happen eventually. >_> Although I assume Osborn was the dude who can enter prison cells at will during the end credits. Willem Dafoe will never be beat. His costume was terrible but he was an awesome actor in the movie.

But I do agree Parker lacked depth in this... and the whole thing with his secret identity didn't have any build. I original trilogy did a better job of him having to shoot down MJ to protect her. But...
...obviously he DOESN'T do that with Gwen because he ends up breaking her neck, lol. So we'll see where the sequel goes with that.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Mike Lowery wrote:That wasn't green goblin, that was the lizard, learn your spiderman! Osborne is green goblin, not Connors. :x because you have displayed such a lack of spiderman knowledge you argument is now considered invalid. ;)
I'll willingly confess to not caring less about the comic book Spider-Man. ;) I'm a film critic, not a comic book enthusiast.

..so wait. Two entirely different Oscorp scientists are experimenting with genetic engineering, both of them get terminated from their jobs when the results are unsatisfactory, both of them jump the gun and inject themselves with green smoke that gives them uncontrollable rage, and both of them have conversations with their 'evil' consciousness?

lawl how could I have possibly missed it.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Well so far only one has since this is a different continuity. >_>

But yeah I could've done without the evil voice talking to himself thing. Original Spidey movies did that to death and it was silly enough then.

If they continue on with the basic plot I could see this series Green Goblin being more like the Lizard than Dafoe in funny costume, though. I think in the Ultimate Universe of Marvel comics he's more a weird creature dude instead of man in funny suit.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Well in the comics (and most adaptions such as cartoons and spin offs) Connors never worked for oscorp, and Norman being the CEO of oscorp was never fired, and the formula for the lizard/spidey/goblin was never connected...so I'm not sure were they're going but they did too much green goblin stuff anyway in the first series, I hope they stray from doing him in future sequels, the awesome thing about spiderman is that he has some of the best villains of all time, that's what makes him awesome. Other marvel comics don't have the same selection of villains spidey has, like Iron Man 3 is just coming out with the mandarin, the only Iron Man villain anybody really ever cared about. I think one of the reasons spiderman and batman is so good is they have some of the greatest villains....and the heroes created most of them inadvertently.

Carnage, Venom, Mysterio, Green Goblin, Kingpin, Kraven, Shocker... The list goes on and on for the possibilities of spiderman movies, I can't wait to see what they do next.
Taps

Post by Taps »

I am hoping for Carnage, and Electro together next movie. That would be amazing. However, I'm almost positive they are going to put the Green Goblin in one of the movie's soon.

So compared to all the other Spiderman Films which one is your favorite?

This is my list:

The Amazing Spiderman
Spiderman 2
Spiderman 1
Spiderman 3