The 2006 Winter Olympics

Torino, Italy :: Febuary 10-26, 2006

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Wooton

Post by Wooton »

Laura Ingalls wrote:MICHELLE KWAN DROPPED OUT!!! :mecry: :mecry:

And now the only American with a chance for gold is Cohen, who I really do not like. :(
She dropped out?!?

Oh well, GO SASHA COHEN!! \:D/
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

I may seem unpatriotic, but I want the Czech hockey team to win, instead of the U.S. \:D/
Wooton

Post by Wooton »

Dr. Watson wrote:I may seem unpatriotic, but I want the Czech hockey team to win, instead of the U.S. \:D/
Nothing wrong about that! ;)
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Ah, I just last night relived the feeling of watching the Olympics. It was great. I saw some luge, pairs figure skating, skiing (free style?), and speed skating.

I like Michelle Kwan as much as the next person, but I'm not too disappointed. You win some, you lose some, and sometimes you don't have the chance to win or lose.

I really hope the best performance wins in a sport like figure skating, bar the competitors' nationalities. I usually root for the Americans but am not disappointed if someone else, clearly better, wins.
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

Wooton wrote:
Laura Ingalls wrote:MICHELLE KWAN DROPPED OUT!!! :mecry: :mecry:

And now the only American with a chance for gold is Cohen, who I really do not like. :(
She dropped out?!?

Oh well, GO SASHA COHEN!! \:D/
Emily Hughs will be skating in Michelle's place. Emily is the sister to Sarah Hughs who won gold at Salt lake. When it comes to figure skating (or the entire Olympics for that matter) anything can happen.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Dr. Watson wrote:I may seem unpatriotic, but I want the Czech hockey team to win, instead of the U.S. \:D/
You're free to choose who you want. ;) I am curious why the Czech team though. O:)

Congratulations to Chad Hedrick for the first medal (gold!) won by an American this Olympics! \:D/

Could someone sticky this thread during the Olympics? :pray:
Anne
OK

Post by Anne »

Speaking on behalf of all Canadians (or at least pretending to ;)) there is no point in cheering for the Czech or the U.S. hockey team, as the Canadian team is going to win!
By the way, are we referring to women's or men's hockey teams? Canada will win gold in both, though, so I guess it doesn't matter. ;)

At least we better, cause otherwise I'll look dumb, and plus our whole national identity is based on this cause we are kind of pathetic.
I mean, Go Canada. :)
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Chandler wrote:
You're free to choose who you want. ;) I am curious why the Czech team though. O:)
Czech team=Jaromir Jagr

Jaromir Jagr=Awesomeness

\:D/
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Anne wrote:At least we better, cause otherwise I'll look dumb, and plus our whole national identity is based on this cause we are kind of pathetic.
I mean, Go Canada. :)
:lol: That made me laugh. :) True, it is a bigger deal in Canada that it is here. I won't be heartbroken if the US team loses (not like they were at Salt Lake... crying when the got silver). :boohoo:
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Dr. Watson wrote:
Chandler wrote:
Czech team=Jaromir Jagr

Jaromir Jagr=Awesomeness

Unfortunate, that does not provide any logical reason for you to cheer for them. ;) EK is awesomeness, but that doesn't mean one has to cheer for him. :badgrin: At any rate, it's not going to matter either way. Like Anne mentioned, both Canadian teams are going to defend their gold medal from Salt Lake City. \:D/
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Hawk
Brings Love and Joy

Post by Hawk »

Did, anybody see the finals, for the men's halfpipe? Dude, that one guy, (the guy they kept saying 'was the only one who could beat Shaun White') got robbed, with his last run's score. They gave him a 39.1! Though, I'm happy he didn't win. But I didn't see the last part, can anybody fill me in?

Black Hawk
Sorry guys, I lost internet. Hope to see you again soon!
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Bode didn't win in down-hill skiing, but I don't like him much anyway. Skiing drunk? Great role model there.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Woohoo! Gold and silver in men's halfpipe goes to Shaun White and Danny Kass! \:D/
Black Hawk wrote:Did, anybody see the finals, for the men's halfpipe? Dude, that one guy, (the guy they kept saying 'was the only one who could beat Shaun White') got robbed, with his last run's score. They gave him a 39.1!
But it wasn't enough to beat Shaun White anyway... he stumbled at the end... White didn't.

Overall, the Americans have been disappointing. :|
Jennifer Doyle wrote:Bode didn't win in down-hill skiing, but I don't like him much anyway. Skiing drunk? Great role model there.
Yeah, he marches to the beat of a different drummer. I still like rooting for Americans but the ending to the downhill skiing was nice with the French guy sneaking in to take the gold. :) You enjoy stories like that even if your guys didn't make it. The recovery by the Norwegian guy in the men's pursuit was also impressive. =D>
Wooton

Post by Wooton »

YEAH! GO "FLYMING TOMATO!!!" \:D/ .....Shaun White ;)

I can't believe Apollo Ohno was disquallafied!! :mad: :( Maybe there's another competition he can still compete in? shrugs: I also can't believe Bode Miller was out by fractions of a second! :( I'm sorry to see Michelle Kwan out. :( It was her last Olympics. Yup, the US Olympic Team has had a rough weekend, but I hope the will make up for it, in the days to come! \:D/

You can get up-to-date medal counts here: http://www.nbcolympics.com/medals/1599001/detail.html

PS It'd be nice if this were stickied during the Olympics ;)
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
Dr. Watson wrote:
Chandler wrote:
Czech team=Jaromir Jagr

Jaromir Jagr=Awesomeness

Unfortunate, that does not provide any logical reason for you to cheer for them. ;)

Yes it does - he's loyal to my ToOHL team! \:D/
Trent DeWhite wrote:At any rate, it's not going to matter either way. Like Anne mentioned, both Canadian teams are going to defend their gold medal from Salt Lake City. \:D/
I can cheer for the Canadians too - Go Eric Staal and Bryan McCabe!!!\:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Wooton wrote:I can't believe Apollo Ohno was disquallafied!! :mad: :(
The one I saw last night didn't have him disqualified... he just stumbled at the end and finished 4th (another one was DQ'd and another one crashed).
Hawk
Brings Love and Joy

Post by Hawk »

Ahhhh! So, so close to having another American sweep! Nooo! I don't like Finland anymore! Mason Aguirre, came in fourth! Shaun White, came in first, then Danny Kass, the that finland guy I don't like, then Mason Aguirre. He only lost to Finland because of .40! Agh.

Black Hawk
Sorry guys, I lost internet. Hope to see you again soon!
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

Chandler wrote:
Jennifer Doyle wrote:Bode didn't win in down-hill skiing, but I don't like him much anyway. Skiing drunk? Great role model there.
Yeah, he marches to the beat of a different drummer. I still like rooting for Americans but the ending to the downhill skiing was nice with the French guy sneaking in to take the gold. :) You enjoy stories like that even if your guys didn't make it. The recovery by the Norwegian guy in the men's pursuit was also impressive. =D>
From what I understand his skis were fresh off the factory floor which could also have had something to do with it.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

dawningoftime wrote:
Chandler wrote:
From what I understand his skis were fresh off the factory floor which could also have had something to do with it.
True, true. :-k He insisted that it didn't but who knows? :shrugs:
Black Hawk wrote:Ahhhh! So, so close to having another American sweep! Nooo! I don't like Finland anymore! Mason Aguirre, came in fourth! Shaun White, came in first, then Danny Kass, the that finland guy I don't like, then Mason Aguirre. He only lost to Finland because of .40! Agh.
I was disappointed that both the men's and women's came so close to sweeping but didn't. :( However, you can't begrudge the third place finishers... they did a better job than fourth place and deserved to win.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Heh. Canada has outscored their opponents 36-1, which is a goals differential that is fifteen goals greater than that of the Americans, their one and only opponent. It should be an interesting Canada vs. USA final come next Monday. \:D/
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!